Where to ride in winter

Printable View

  • 02-05-2013
    bplaizier
    Where to ride in winter
    I love up North (salt lake city) and need to get the winter Blues gone for a while. What's the closest place to ride without any snow? Any suggestions appreciated.

    Sent from my SPH-L900
  • 02-05-2013
    authalic
    This is a bad year. The best winter options are usually St George (warm) and sometimes Moab (dry). It looks like it might rain or snow in both of those places this weekend. Presidents' Day weekend is looking much better. If you can get to Vegas, the weather there is looking super nice next week. I don't know much about the trails, though.
  • 02-06-2013
    mtbeagle
    I know you said without snow, but you could come rent one of my fat bikes and get some fun biking in with the snow.
  • 02-06-2013
    bplaizier
    Re: Where to ride in winter
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mtbeagle View Post
    I know you said without snow, but you could come rent one of my fat bikes and get some fun biking in with the snow.

    Never ridden one those, can you really ride them in the snow with any sort of stability


    I was thinking Moab or st. George would be closest, but hoping there was some where closer I didn't know about. .. like price or something, don't really know how much snow they get.

    Sent from my SPH-L900
  • 02-06-2013
    authalic
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bplaizier View Post
    .. like price or something, don't really know how much snow they get.

    In most years, Price doesn't get a lot of snow. They also don't get inversions there, so it can be warmer and sunnier than the Wasatch Front cities, even though the elevation is about 1500 feet higher. If you're on Facebook, check out a group called Price Area Singletrack Society. They will be able to update you on conditions.

    I grew up there, and I heard they got a lot of snow this past winter. It can be muddy there for weeks when the snow melts in the spring. It could be an option, though.

    The San Rafael Swell area is likely good too. You could check out the Good Water Rim Trail, in the Wedge Overlook area of the Swell.
  • 02-06-2013
    KRob
    JMH posted pic of a ride he took somewhere close to SLC the other day. Not sure where it was exactly but it looked dry. Antelope Island maybe?
  • 02-06-2013
    Pedalfaraway
    Try riding at tanner park. It gets alot of foot traffic so the snow gets packed down enough to be ridden on. I have been over there 3 times this week and its a decent ride. The loop I do down the bike path and back up to the parking lot via the main trail by the river takes me about 20 min so you would have to do alot of laps to get a 2 hour ride. I ride there from my house and it feels great to pedal for an hour with some real mountain biking thrown in.

    St george is the place to go. its worth the drive do it.
  • 02-07-2013
    mtbeagle
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bplaizier View Post
    Never ridden one those, can you really ride them in the snow with any sort of stability

    It depends on the trail. Corner Canyon in Draper can be ridden but is a lot of work. However, Round Valley up by Park City gets you out of the inversion, and the trails there are perfect for the fat bikes.

  • 02-09-2013
    bplaizier
    Re: Where to ride in winter
    Thanks for the responses. I have lived In ut my entire life and have never ridden any of those trails. I will definitely have to try then out.

    Sent from my SPH-L900
  • 02-09-2013
    stremf
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by authalic View Post
    This is a bad year. The best winter options are usually St George (warm) and sometimes Moab (dry). It looks like it might rain or snow in both of those places this weekend. Presidents' Day weekend is looking much better. If you can get to Vegas, the weather there is looking super nice next week. I don't know much about the trails, though.

    I wasn't impressed with Vegas trails. I'd stick to St. G.
  • 02-10-2013
    Silentfoe
    I'd definitely agree that you should try out a Fatbike! It really opens up the winter for most of us die hard cyclists. I actually look forward to snowy weekends now. I just can't afford going skiing/snowboarding at $80+ a pop. If you really need dirt, you know the answer, head to St. George. 60+ degrees forecasted for this weekend. Doesn't get much better than that.
  • 03-04-2013
    cmanser
    Boulder City about 30 minutes out of Vegas has a great network of trails you can ride. This is where they have the Outdoor Demo every year for Interbike. Last year I was talking to a local and he told me there are trails there you can ride for hundreds of miles. What I rode was pretty fun and the weather would be perfect during the Winter months. Just bring LOTS of water and some Sunscreen.



    Quote:

    Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    I wasn't impressed with Vegas trails. I'd stick to St. G.

  • 03-05-2013
    bluejudad
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    I wasn't impressed with Vegas trails. I'd stick to St. G.

    I'm a very involved MTBer in Las Vegas and if you were not impressed with Southern Nevada trails, I suspect you didn't know where you were going. The diversity in terrain, beauty and technicality is fantastic. And we ride Southern Utah and Northern AZ regularly, so we're no strangers to good stuff. Next time go to SNMBA's Facebook page and find someone to show you around.
  • 03-05-2013
    stremf
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by cmanser View Post
    Boulder City about 30 minutes out of Vegas has a great network of trails you can ride. This is where they have the Outdoor Demo every year for Interbike. Last year I was talking to a local and he told me there are trails there you can ride for hundreds of miles. What I rode was pretty fun and the weather would be perfect during the Winter months. Just bring LOTS of water and some Sunscreen.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bluejudad View Post
    I'm a very involved MTBer in Las Vegas and if you were not impressed with Southern Nevada trails, I suspect you didn't know where you were going. The diversity in terrain, beauty and technicality is fantastic. And we ride Southern Utah and Northern AZ regularly, so we're no strangers to good stuff. Next time go to SNMBA's Facebook page and find someone to show you around.

    The trails I rode were in Boulder City (Bootleg) and out in Mt. Charlston. I got directions from a local, but maybe he pointed me the wrong way. The trails were ok, but pretty tame and almost boring? I tend to compare everything to St. George/Moab trails, though.

    We head down there on occasion to visit family, so will continue to ride down there (some riding is better than none). I don't have facebook, so will have to talk to the local shop.
  • 03-05-2013
    CortneyJay
    I've been wondering where I can rent a fat bike and try one out. Sounds like your pushin the goods...
  • 03-09-2013
    Flashtastic
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by CortneyJay View Post
    I've been wondering where I can rent a fat bike and try one out. Sounds like your pushin the goods...

    White Pine in PC rents Surly Moonlanders. They have 1 large & 1 Medium.