mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Where to ride in St. George, Utah

I'm looking for some recommendations. Gooseberry Mesa is already on my list. I'll be in SG for the last week of March. What should I expect weather wise as well? I'm a pretty fit rider, and will be alone, so looking for rides in the 2-5hr range and relatively close. For reference I love Jacob's Ladder in Moab as well as Porcupine Rim and Top of the World. Not afraid of climbing....

No, that's not phonetic
    Little Creek Mesa
    Hurricane Rim to Gould's Rim to JEM trail loop
    Barrel Trail to Bearclaw Poppy
    Slickrock Swamp aka Rockville Bench
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The weather is a crapshoot that time of year, a couple years ago it was snowing (which is highly odd for St. George at any time of the winter). This past weekend, it was a warm 60 and fantastic for riding.

For nearby rides, I'd recommend Bear Claw Poppy + Green Valley Race Track. It can be done fairly quickly (2-3 hours) as an out-and-back, and is never boring.

Of course, Gooseberry is my favorite riding in all of Utah.

-m

'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006

Gooseberry Conditions - Saturday?

The wife and I are going to head down to St. George this weekend and I am contemplating throwing the bikes on the roof for the trip. We will be in Bloomington and that doesn't seem to be too far from Gooseberry (which I have never ridden, but heard good things about).

Locals - what are the conditions like? I heard there will be some rain on Friday, but is Gooseberry clay or slickrock? Is it rideable when wet/damp? Is it worth it? I am itching to ride.

If Gooseberry won't work, is there something else relatively close by that will? For reference, I ride mostly singletrack, and the Crest is my favorite on the Wasatch front. Puke hill doesn't bug me.

'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006
    Also, what are the conditions on Green Valley like? Clay or slickrock? That is real close to where I'll be. I would really appreciate the input.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The road to Gooseberry is the worst part right now, it's awfully rutted out and not for the faint. Just take it slow and you'll make it through just fine. Gooseberry is slickrock/dirt+sand singletrack, and is typically rideable, even when wet. Other trails in the area (like JEM) are horridly full of wet clay, not fun.

This past weekend I also rode Green Valley, specifically Bear Claw Poppy + the GV Race Track. Both are fantastic conditions, just a little bit moist and tacky. It's more dirt there and less clay, and always fun.

'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006
    Sold. I am stoked. I've been dying to try out my new stuff from Christmas.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

St George in March

If you haven't ridden in the area, you might give Mark at Mountain Bike Buddies a call. You can get his number at any of the bike shops or email at mountainbikebuddies.com.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

check out utahmountainbiking.com

Great site. I'm headed there soon. Love Gooseberry.
    There's a ton of rides there I want to check out. Green Valley, Red Rocks Rampage, Anasazi, Zen, JEM, Arrowhead, Church Rocks, Bearclaw Poppy, Broken Mesa and much more.
    Warm up the printer! Site even has 'click on' 1 page reviews.
    Last edited by abegold; 02-26-2008 at 06:53 AM.
    agmtb

'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006
    Because of the weather, and a few recommendations, we didn't ride gooseberry or green valley. We rode Zen and we were told it is an intermediate technical trail. Not really. There are a lot of pretty technical sections and the wife wasn't a huge fan. Hopefully next time I'll hit up Gooseberry.

Bike Snob
    For St. George the Zen is an intermediate trail. You gotta bring your A game to ride the big boy trails.

hands up who wants to die
    Any update on the Gooseberry road? We will be in a large van... not 4x4 but higher clearance than a car.
    Also, is "show me the $" still rocking?
    We're going to be out there the 2nd week of March and can't wait to hit some of our favorite trails in the country.

-r
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.
    my mtb videos: http://vimeo.com/album/6861

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    We rode Gooseberry yesterday 2/27/08. The road was passable, but very deeply rutted. A van would work...a car wouldn't. Since Grafton Mesa and Show Me the Money are on the North slope there is a little snow still on the trail. They are predicting highs in the 70's for this coming weekend. I would imagine everything will be dried out for your trip in March.

thanks dawg!

mtbr member
    Is there a Lat.40 map or similar for the area?

I'm thinking second week of March if Fruita isn't dry...

Hi guys - I'm looking for additional shuttle-able trails, as we're coming on DH bikes (going to Bootleg Cyn on the way). We are definitely going to pedal through Gooseberry since it's such a classic on any bike, but otherwise we are looking for heavier stuff.
    Is Broken Mesa fun on a long travel bike? Most reviews I see of that trail seem to be from XC riders.

thanks guys
    -r

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Broken Mesa has about a mile climb at the first of the ride...XC downhill in the middle...and a short technical downhill at the end.

Be sure not to miss Grafton Mesa, Show Me the Money, and possibly Flying Monkey, all North of Gooseberry Mesa.

If you don't want to bring two vehicles, you might check with Mark at Mountain Bike Buddies (www.mountainbikebuddies.com) for shuttles.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I highly recommend you check out Mark at Mountain Bike Buddies. I've used his services a couple times. He does a phenominal job. He also has some great stories to tell when shuttling you. Great guy.

Mike

should know better.....
    Did Broken Mesa with a bunch of guys on 6" bikes, we rode it after it had rained, (even though we were warned not to, after all how bad could it be?) Nightmare. Mud so sticky, the wheels were sliding instead of rolling when pushing the bikes because the chain/seat stays had clogged up too much to let the wheels roll.....

Anyhoo, we all survived, and cleaned up up top, then enjoyed the ride down. lots of open fast cranking along a rock strewn singletrack line through open grazing land type terrain. The last steep descent is awesome, but just a straight shot down a rock littered road bed.Big rocks with some launching potential. Great fun, big consequences if you yard sailed in it, but over too quickly to justify all the work to get a big bike there.
    Bottom line, it's an All Mountain/techy XC ride. I would never bring my bigger bike up there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

NOT Team Sanchez
    Quote Originally Posted by can't get right
    For St. George the Zen is an intermediate trail. You gotta bring your A game to ride the big boy trails.

DITTO!!!!
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Picture should be titled:

"You know you should stay off the trails when...."