Chumley for prez!

When will the Crest be ready, already!

I can't believe it's April 3rd and no one has started a thread about conditions on the Crest trail! You should all be ashamed of yourself, and you're welcome!

So let the speculation begin. Winner gets a pair of my chamois from last year! Given the snowpack I'm going to say June 1 or maybe next weekend.

Your Best Friend
    March 2nd!
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

Homer's problem child
    I saw some dudes getting rad on Bobsled on their DH bikes in the rain, snow and mud on Sunday. I bet they were just practicing for Crest rutting. Once they get a nice 2' deep rut on the sled I bet they start working on the Crest.

I'm going to go with next weekend, and hope I'm wrong, I don't want your last years chamois. I bet next year's last year's chamois will be better what with you getting all Brazilian in 2012... Maybe I'll be right in 2013.

BY
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

Chumley for prez!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bortis Yelltzen View Post
    I'm going to go with next weekend, and hope I'm wrong, I don't want your last years chamois. I bet next year's last year's chamois will be better what with you getting all Brazilian in 2012... Maybe I'll be right in 2013.

BY
    Bortis,

I regret to inform you that Brazilians don't wear chamois, so I won't be able to offer up this prize in 2013.

Sincerely,
    Dr. Welcorn, esq.

Homer's problem child
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. welcorn View Post
    Bortis,

I regret to inform you that Brazilians don't wear chamois, so I won't be able to offer up this prize in 2013.

Sincerely,
    Dr. Welcorn, esq.
    Well in that case, I'm gonna go ahead and predict 2012 is the year of old worn out tighty whitey's with folded/waded banana leaves for Mr. Welcorn...
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Yeah, Bobsled was horrible on Sunday on my DH bike. Can you see that enormous rut I'm leaving behind? Once I got into it proper I just rear-brake-dragged the entire thing so there is a gigantic skid carving a trench down the middle of it. It's so awesome.

Back on topic though, the Crest will definitely be rideable this weekend. I'm also planning on jack-hammering out the spine and putting rebar handrails in where it used to be so you don't fall to either side. Sweet!

Chumley for prez!
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Yeah, Bobsled was horrible on Sunday on my DH bike. Can you see that enormous rut I'm leaving behind? Once I got into it proper I just rear-brake-dragged the entire thing so there is a gigantic skid carving a trench down the middle of it. It's so awesome.

Back on topic though, the Crest will definitely be rideable this weekend. I'm also planning on jack-hammering out the spine and putting rebar handrails in where it used to be so you don't fall to either side. Sweet!
    I agree that this all sounds awesome. I think bobsled needs to be designated a "fair game" style trail where anything goes...like lord of the flies. I ran out of "shits to give" about bobsled 2 years ago.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    All kidding aside, Sunday the dirt was in incredibly good shape. Somehow the snow wasn't sticking to the trail surfaces, and it's been dry enough that it soaked in quickly. Moist, tacky, but not rutting at all. So much fun.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Meh. Ruttin is Racin. Tom Bruise said so. Agreed about Local Dirt Conditions, its already so dry that a little moisture makes the mud a lot better.

I rode all of Glenwild and Flying Dog on my moto this weekend and it was sweet! I will head up Spiro tomorrow and check it out.

JMH
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails When will the Crest be ready, already!-129_0804_11_z-2007_transylvania_trophy-motorcycle_mud.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Rode Crest yesterday, it's GTG. A little soft in Millcreek.

Bored Carp
    Spiro would be good to go, but I got turned around at the CMG connector by construction. They were in forest service trucks, but said they worked for Talisker.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails When will the Crest be ready, already!-mudder-intro.jpeg  

I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

Picture Unrelated
    Since the crest is dry, does anyone want to get a trail crew together? I have some bags of concrete ready to go so we can finally pave that ish.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Chumley for prez!
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    I will head up Spiro tomorrow and check it out.

JMH
    It's tomorrow, today, please report back...what did you find?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    ::Yeah dry as a bone,I dont think so.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. welcorn View Post
    It's tomorrow, today, please report back...what did you find?
    Extremely muddy, I barely managed to get Double Trouble to the "Spine" before I had to turn back. On the plus side, the Crest Builder Monkeys have been busy building all kinds of sweet stuff up there. And the new Gondola-Crest Access Highway has made it so much easier to meet oncoming riders on busy summer days. No more of that narrow stuff. But I had to use a bolt cutter to get through the "Private Property" areas The Gondola really seems to have cut down on traffic in BCC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails When will the Crest be ready, already!-131_1010_03_o-131_1010_backyard_wheeling_louisiana_mud_running-chevy_first_mud_turn.jpg  

When will the Crest be ready, already!-hidden-beach-mud-pit-06.jpg