Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    insert blank disk

What trails to ride in Moab and Logan?

My wife and I will be making a trip to UT in July and are looking for some trails to ride. I've done quite a bit of looking online, but I wanted to get some input from those that may ride these trails often.

We are probably looking for some intermediate trails that my wife and I would both enjoy. We will be in Moab 1-2 days and Logan 4-5 days.

What trails would you recommend?

Paste eater
    Moab is 98 degress today. Expect more of the same or hotter when you get here unless you ride up in the La Sals. I'm no expert on the riding up there, but I wouldn't classify any of it as intermediate riding unfortunately.

insert blank disk
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    Moab is 98 degress today. Expect more of the same or hotter when you get here unless you ride up in the La Sals. I'm no expert on the riding up there, but I wouldn't classify any of it as intermediate riding unfortunately.
    I've ridden Moab one other time in the summer and with no trees it is very hot. Being from Texas the heat doesn't bother me as much as the altitude!

Anyone have any recommends?

Paste eater
    Heat exhaustion aside, Brand trails and Klondike bluff would me recommendations for intermediate riding in Moab. Lots of info in the sticky tho...

mtbr member
    Live in Logan, work in Moab....best of both worlds, maybe. As far as Moab in July goes, you've been informed/warned of the heat. If you can take it, you will have much less traffic on the trails, which is the advantage of riding over the summer months compared to the peak season. It's actually one of my favorite times to ride, but I spend long hours in the desert sun digging soil pits, so that is acclimating to a degree. Check out the Brand trails, as mentioned, or look into Bull Run/Great Escape/Arth's Corner loop, or look into self-shuttling (if you can) just the Hazard County/UPS/LPS sections of the Whole Enchilada. Any of these would be super hella fun and relatively mellow.

For Logan riding, Stump Hollow is one of my favorites, other recommended rides would be Bunchgrass/White Pine and Jardine Juniper. Green Canyon and Providence Canyon are also fun, roughly 6-8 mile pedals, and you can pedal them right from anywhere in town. Temps here will be nice in July, maybe warmer down low, but higher elevations will be perfect.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    The brand trails are pretty fun, rode those last September and had a blast and you are never too far from the parking lot if you need to bail.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

insert blank disk
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor Lord of Thunder View Post
    Live in Logan, work in Moab....best of both worlds, maybe. As far as Moab in July goes, you've been informed/warned of the heat. If you can take it, you will have much less traffic on the trails, which is the advantage of riding over the summer months compared to the peak season. It's actually one of my favorite times to ride, but I spend long hours in the desert sun digging soil pits, so that is acclimating to a degree. Check out the Brand trails, as mentioned, or look into Bull Run/Great Escape/Arth's Corner loop, or look into self-shuttling (if you can) just the Hazard County/UPS/LPS sections of the Whole Enchilada. Any of these would be super hella fun and relatively mellow.

For Logan riding, Stump Hollow is one of my favorites, other recommended rides would be Bunchgrass/White Pine and Jardine Juniper. Green Canyon and Providence Canyon are also fun, roughly 6-8 mile pedals, and you can pedal them right from anywhere in town. Temps here will be nice in July, maybe warmer down low, but higher elevations will be perfect.
    Good info, thanks We'll definitely be doing most of our riding around Logan and I'm looking forward to it. We just can't drive through Moab without going for a ride...what kind of mountain bikers would we be?!?!?

insert blank disk
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawson Raider View Post
    you are never too far from the parking lot if you need to bail.
    Good to know, we may have to

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by down2ride View Post
    Good to know, we may have to
    Shoot me a pm when you come if you'd like to share a ride!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by down2ride View Post
    We'll definitely be doing most of our riding around Logan and I'm looking forward to it.
    Thor had some great suggestions. I would start With Green Canyon in Logan and go from there. It is an awesome trail and not a bad climb at all. From there the trails will get progressively more taxing on your lungs/legs. Jardine Juniper and Stump Hollow are fairly stiff climbs, but very fun rides. If you can work out a shuttle, the White Pine - Bunchgrass trail is also very good.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by neilether View Post
    If you can work out a shuttle, the White Pine - Bunchgrass trail is also very good.
    I always enjoyed Bunchgrass Whitepine without a shuttle, although I was a lot younger then.

insert blank disk
    We should be able to arrange a shuttle or two, so I'll have to check those out. Thanks for all your suggestions!

insert blank disk
    Shoot me a pm when you come if you'd like to share a ride!
    10-4

mtbr member
    I ride Green canyon at least once a week as it is close to home. it's a good ride to just get out and do a quick ride. you can also go further up the trail instead of the turn around if you want.

Jardine Juniper is a good trail with some significant climbing involved

you could also check out sherwood hills. It's in the canyon in between Brigham city and Logan, just turn off at the golf course. you have to pay $5 for parking or park at the turn off. but the trail is nice this time of year.

mtbr member
    Plan on going very early in the morning no matter what ride you choose. There are a lot of great option in Moab that have already been discussed above. One that I didn't see is Gemini Bridges which is just outside of Moab but also requires a shuttle. It is mostly a dirt road so you may want something a little more advance, but that depends on your definition of intermediate.

mtbr member
    Another vote for Green Canyon, it's close to town, fairly shaded from the sun, and fun singletrack. Jardine Juniper would also be towards the top of my list.

insert blank disk
    We left Texas yesterday at 7:30pm and drove through the night.

We decided to take my wife's car to save on gas instead if my truck. I bought a trunk rack to transport the bikes. I hate these things! I'm always afraid the bikes are going to fly off. 748 miles left to go, hopefully they make it in one piece.

What trails to ride in Moab and Logan?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1341670517.903502.jpg
    What trails to ride in Moab and Logan?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1341670560.378702.jpg

mtbr member
    I did some work in Logan in winter... I didnt ride, but that place is BEAUTIFUL!!! I would love to get out there in the summer months.. I worked on one of the big new stores in the middle of town. Acid stained the fa sad of it.
    Last edited by chadalex78; 07-07-2012 at 07:35 AM. Reason: spelling

insert blank disk
    Made it!

What trails to ride in Moab and Logan?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1341709242.966787.jpg

mtbr member
    you're almost to Logan.

mtbr member
    Riding tomorrow if you're interested!

insert blank disk
    I wish. My wife's got a ton of stuff planned for us with her family today.

insert blank disk
    Rode Providence Canyon this morning. We started the climb, but after about 200 yds our Texas legs and lungs told us we weren't going to make it. Luckily we had a shuttle and road the downhill twice. We had a blast. It's much different riding real mountains. You reach some impressive speeds and the trail flies by. Question: do locals consider this a difficult climb? I'm just curious as we don't have anything like this in Texas. Is this just a standard climb or is this a tough climb even by UT standards?

Tomorrow we are going to try Green Canyon. Hopefully we can handle the up and downhill sections tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Prov is a very fun downhill ride! Glad you enjoyed it. The climb is a bit loose in a few places, but I would say it's pretty standard overall. Green Canyon is a milder and smoother climb up...good one to start working those lungs on. Elevation does affect a lot of people who come out here, and yeah, mountains are mountains!

Good luck on Green! It's a very fast downhill...be wary of hikers and uphill traffic!

mtbr member
    Prov is a very fun downhill ride! Glad you enjoyed it. The climb is a bit loose in a few places, but I would say it's pretty standard overall. Green Canyon is a milder and smoother climb up...good one to start working those lungs on. Elevation does affect a lot of people who come out here, and yeah, mountains are mountains!

Good luck on Green! It's a very fast downhill...be wary of hikers and uphill traffic!
    also the canyon is getting a little overgrown, which happens this time of year. so be careful on the way down there are lots of blind corners due to vegetation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast