mtbr member
    Feb 2008

West Valley City

So I'm new to SLC and I just moved to West Valley City, and I'm sure its not the best choice for mountain biking access, but it was affordable and close to work, so its where I am for now.
    I am curious what is my closest biking trail? Even if its not too great, just something to ride when time is short and I don't feel like driving far.

Thanks

mtbr member
    If you haven't seen it already, take a look at skidmap.com. I'm guessing BST, maybe corner canyon in Draper, Yellow fork in Herriman would be the closest trails to you. There's the Germania trail off the Jordan River Parkway...it's dirt, kinda fun. Pretty short. About 50th south. Since you're pretty well locked into driving, don't overlook Mueller Park in Bountiful or Wild rose trails in North Salt lake. Once you're on the freeway there's a lot within 30 mintues (most of Park city for instance)
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Just head to the hills. Most of the stuff just to your west (with the Mine) is closed Kennecott property, but down in the southern corner there's a couple spots off Herriman and atop Butterfield Canyon. To the South East is Draper (Big Temple in the corner) and litterally right behind that Temple are trail heads for Corner Canyon. Hit up Draper City's page for trail maps (trailhead signs have them too).

Bonneville Shoreline makes the "bench" (ancient lake that filled this area) and there's a trail network that's mostly complete that rides from Point of the Mountain in Draper north through Ogden.

Up behind the UofU is a huge network of trails, and as the snow melts, everything up high will come open (June-ish) as well as the resorts pushing their trails. Mostly weekend trips down south are in for winter - 3 hours opens the Mecca of Mountain Biking to you with southern Utah - St. George and Moab.

Good luck and enjoy!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    For quick XC my go-to would be the parts of the shoreline trial between the Zoo and City Creek. You mess round with different loop options, including going down bobsled if you're looking for a gravity trail. A little farther, but corner canyon is great too for a quick xc ride, and also has some nice downhill/flow trails to keep it fun on the way down. You can't go wrong really, I'd check out utahmountainbiking.com and explore!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    thanks for all the great info. I look forward to start checking this stuff out.
    Now I'm curious whats rideable now? Ive been in town for a week and I don't see even a hint of snow where I'm at, so I'm thinking some lower trails will be dry.
    So the question is where do I go this saturday with my day off? I'm a fairly good technical rider, and I can handle miles, but I'll be going slow as I come out of the winter funk, so nothing to crazy to start with. Also, I don't mind driving as I have the whole day with nothing going on.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I would google eagle mountain bike park, you will find a map to it, it is also on utahmountainbiking.com
    Want a one of a kind bike? Message me for a one of a kind paint job.

The internet is a tough place to ride

mtbr member
    Corner Canyon has some rideable terrain now. Its awesome and youll enjoy it. Hit me up if you need someone to show you around, Im down to ride with anyone although I dont climb super fast.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm new to West Valley as well, was in PC before December. I'm always down for riding or carpooling. I've mostly been getting out on the roads lately, but after this latest snowfall dries off I plan to do some exploring.