Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Wasatch Enduro. Who's In? Course Questions

I'm signed up for the Bell Wasatch Enduro on July 21. Who else is in?

I love the Enduro format and have been riding the Fears Tears and Beers Enduro over here in Ely the past 6 years. Glad to see this format finally catching on. Super excited for the race!

Coupla course questions/comments:
    I thought they wimped out a bit letting us ride up the Gondola for the Stage 3 Transfer section.....although I doubt I'll be complaining too much come race day.

What is Short Swing? Is it just a connector from Ambush to Lower Holly's?

Anyone have any beta on Insurgent? I hadn't looked at this map before I pre-rode the course last weekend and didn't know where to look for it.

I do like that they have cut-offs for the transfer sections. We've been thinking about adding that to our race with penalties for being late just like regular ISDE qualifiers (moto enduro races). Just haven't figured out how to do it without it getting too complicated.

If you haven't ridden Hollies at speed it might be good to get a few pre-runs in. It's narrower and rockier than I remember and has a few surprises

mtbr member
    I'm in! Although I'm sure I'll get my ace kicked it sounds like a ton of fun. I've never done an enduro-style race but I love the format. I have raced 1 Super D last year at Wolf Mtn. I too would like to know a little more about the course. I'm planning on heading down from Ogden at least once to pre-ride the course so I'm not riding it blind. Hope to see you there Rob!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm going as well. After last weeks super d I'm scared.

Good to know about Hollies. I havent ridden any of those courses at the canyons. Thankfully we have a month or so to get up there and look at it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'm not sure if Insurgent started out as an official trail as I've heard it called a few different things. It can be a bit tricky to find, but it looks like Canyons has adopted it as their "techy DH trail" and is now on their summer Trail Map and party of the system. It can be accessed from the Mid Mt trail past holly's right as you come out on the service road. As of Monday, there wasn't any signage so I'd recommend watching the course videos that are on the Wasatch Enduro site to get a feel for the area. Here's a link to a photo I took the other day right where the trail starts off the access road. Instagram

It's definitely the steepest/techiest section of the race.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Just talked with some friends who rode Holly's last night... sounds like it's been sanitized through the tight, rooty trees near the top and it appears that work is continuing down hill from there.

Haven't seen for myself but the second hand news is not good. Bummer, that trail had some real character.

JMH

mtbr member

Insurgient

Thanks for the info. I rode right past the entrance twice then on my way over to the top of Hollies via Mid Mountain. Sure didn't see anything.... but I didn't know to look there either.

Sounds like that's one I should've gotten a pre-run on. Hopefully I'll get in there again sometime before the race.

mtbr member
    I'm in, let me know if you have any questions.

Since the resort is open now i expect Insurgent and Hollys to be fully blown out by race day. That will add some challenge. This is going to be a kick-ass event!!!
    Currently enjoying life Giant Trance Advanced 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Giant STP

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    I think I'm in - its between this and the Steamboat BME event. What should I do?

I've never ridden in the area, let alone these trails. Are they super tricky or should I be okay with just one day of practice?
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    I think I'm in - its between this and the Steamboat BME event. What should I do?

I've never ridden in the area, let alone these trails. Are they super tricky or should I be okay with just one day of practice?
    You'll be fine with a day of practice. The trails are fairly straight forward, and there are sections that are used twice.
    Giant STP

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by krispy@go-ride.com View Post
    I'm in, let me know if you have any questions.

Since the resort is open now i expect Insurgent and Hollys to be fully blown out by race day. That will add some challenge. This is going to be a kick-ass event!!!
    I may be able to do some practice runs on the weekend before the race (July 12-14). Let me know if any of you want to join me.

What are you thinking in the way of tires given the "blown out" nature of the trail, Krispy?

Missed you guys at the FTB.

mtbr member
    A buddy of mine that is doing the race with me and I drove over from O-town and pre-rode the course yesterday. Pretty fun, pretty humbling. We rode it without many breaks and the uphills faster than we probably will on race day as we were pressed for time so I think we were more beat than we'd like for Stage 6. I will say that everyone in mid-riding season shape should make the climbing transitions in plenty of time so no need to kill yourself. Lower Holly's is said to be fixed on race day. Couldn't get a feel for how fast we'll go with all the speed traps. The biggest challenge for me personally will be riding down "Insurgent" with any sort of speed/gusto. It's really techy and blown-out/sandy in all the steep corners now. My goal is just to survive that section and have stamina to blow through Lower Holly's in a reasonable amount of time. One of the biggest challenges that I think will get everyone is the heat. Make sure to have plenty of water. We rode the course almost at the same times we'll be racing and it was quite hot and it really sapped our energy. All-in-all this will be a bad assed race and super fun day!

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post

Noah if it makes you feel any better, I LIVE here and I haven't bothered to practice at all.

I think 10 days in Whistler will be adequate preparation.

JMH

mtbr member
    I'm concerned about the heat as well.

Debating whether to carry a full face on my back then switching for the timed descents or not.
    Doesn't seem like that much extra weight...but I did this other day on a local trail and it does feel heavier and bulkier while climbing.

What's everyone else doing?

Just XC lid?
    Enduro type helmet?

Or Climb with XC then switch to Full face for descents?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    I'm concerned about the heat as well.

Debating whether to carry a full face on my back then switching for the timed descents or not.
    Doesn't seem like that much extra weight...but I did this other day on a local trail and it does feel heavier and bulkier while climbing.

What's everyone else doing?

Just XC lid?
    Enduro type helmet?

Or Climb with XC then switch to Full face for descents?
    To test it out Rob, I wore my XC lid on the ups then switched to knee pads and the full face on the downs. I didn't really notice any extra weight and (for me) liked the confidence the extra protection gave me. No way I'd want to climb with my pads and full face on in this heat. I normally carry my knee pads on the ups on weekly rides anyway. My XC helmet strapped into my camelbak was just fine. Hope this helps. I might be more overly cautious than some but I cut my face open about 5 years ago on a descent and was lucky I didn't lose an eye, crush my cheek bone, etc. Just a well healed scar. I feel that the upper part of the last stage through "Insurgent" definitely warrants a full face but I'm sure some dudes will just be blasting through with their XC lids and lego-man goggles, leaving me in the dust...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whip Chop! View Post
    . I feel that the upper part of the last stage through "Insurgent" definitely warrants a full face
    Thanks. Yeah, climbing in the FF would definitely suck with this heat.

Sounds like I need to get a run or two in on Insurgent. That's the one I missed when I was up there a few weeks ago.

I'm debating putting bigger knobs on the front for the deep, soft conditions on some parts even if they will be heavier and roll slower on the smoother buff stuff.

mtbr member
    Are the trails still tacky from the recent rains or are we back to poof dust? Trying to make a final decision on tires. Just checked the 5 day forecast. Looks like a chance of rain both Friday and Saturday. Temps should be good.

Also, I'm assuming the trails will be marked with flagging or ribbons and turns with arrows. I'm pretty sure I could do the route without but I'd hate to take a wrong turn and lose a bunch of time.

mtbr member
    I'd count on moondust, it's great right now, but it'll be warm and sunny for the next few days.

As for course marking, i can't speak for the promoter but i'm sure there will be signs and ribbon. I hope the open sections will be completely lined with ribbon but i don't know for sure how well it will be taped.
    Giant STP

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by krispy@go-ride.com View Post
    I hope the open sections will be completely lined with ribbon but i don't know for sure how well it will be taped.
    I wondered about those sections where you cross a ski run then switchback on the far side then cross it again. Seems like a place less honorable folks (cheaters) could cut course. Fully lined with caution tape would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Lots of cheater lines already appearing during training, so hopefully they aggressively tape those sections.

Definitely count on moon dust. Insurgent is going to be HAMMERED.

Chumley for prez!
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post

Definitely count on moon dust. Insurgent is going to be HAMMERED.
    Yup, and the chance of rain is only hovering at around 25% between now and Saturday. Maybe they will shop vac insurgent before the race...

mtbr member
    Just registered....never ridden the course, not gonna get a chance to before Saturday, and am s-t-o-k-e-d!

Swimming thru the Smog
    Apr 2011
    well i was going to pre ride tomorrow but my wheels arent out of the shop until tomorrow. there goes my registration cheddar.

Chumley for prez!
    Quote Originally Posted by While At Rome View Post
    well i was going to pre ride tomorrow but my wheels arent out of the shop until tomorrow. there goes my registration cheddar.
    Ehh. I've only pre-ridden the course once, and I think many people are in the same boat. It may be true that in the Euro-enduro events there really isn't a lot of course preview and a lot of "riding blind"?? Either way...it will be nice to support this race format in Utah.

mtbr member
    A quick question about trail closures for this event. A few of us were planning on starting at Deer Valley, climbing up to the crest and dropping down Holly's to the base of Canyon's. We are starting early (0530), but I am wondering approximately what time there will be riders on the course. We don't want to mess with the race, and I actually assume Holly's will be closed to non-participants.

If he head a bit north to Rob's/Colin's to get to the base, would that be better? It appears from the website that those trails will be unaffected.

Thanks.

Chumley for prez!
    Quote Originally Posted by neilether View Post

If he head a bit north to Rob's/Colin's to get to the base, would that be better? It appears from the website that those trails will be unaffected.

Thanks.
    I think one of the transfer stages is Ambush to Rob's to midmountain. You would potentially run into uphill traffic from the intersection of crest connector to the intersection of Ambush while riding midmountain/rob's.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast