Pedaler of dirt

Wasatch Crest for flat lander, too much?

Hi, cheers again for the info on bike rental, I think I have a bike ready for me now.

Next the trails and altitude, I'm coming up from Houston, boring flat and low level Houston. Is attempting to ride something like Wasatch Crest to Midmountain Loop too much to expect?

Distance wise I know I'm fine, but will my lungs give up on the climbs? Does anyone have any experience of attempting to ride at altitude with almost zero riding above 135ft in 5 years?
    It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have rode with a few guys who live close to or at sea level, one on crest, he said it was definitely noticeable, but he kept up fine and said he had an amazing time.

I wouldn't let that keep you from riding these awesome trails or from seeing the sites you see on them, worst case, you will be a bit slower but both are enjoyable at most any speed IMO.
    Want a one of a kind bike? Message me for a one of a kind paint job.

The internet is a tough place to ride

dedicated beater
    May 2009
    There are a couple climbs that will definitely have you sucking wind and possibly hike-a-biking (especially Puke Hill), but that even happens to folks who live around here year round. Just accept it as part of the fun and the rest of the ride will be dreamy. Don't let a few hike a bike climbs ruin what should be an awesome ride for you.

Pedaler of dirt
    Great, sounds like I'm not planning the impossible. I just wanted to make sure that there's not a litany of stories of folks from the coast turning up and collapsing in a puking mess on the climbs.

I'm ok with pushing here and there to get to the top.

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by marzjennings View Post
    Hi, cheers again for the info on bike rental, I think I have a bike ready for me now.

Next the trails and altitude, I'm coming up from Houston, boring flat and low level Houston. Is attempting to ride something like Wasatch Crest to Midmountain Loop too much to expect?

Distance wise I know I'm fine, but will my lungs give up on the climbs? Does anyone have any experience of attempting to ride at altitude with almost zero riding above 135ft in 5 years?
    I'd make a point to frontload the climbing and start based out of PC, maybe take the PC chair up to Mid Mountain, then ride Pinecone up which is a pretty mellow grade but longish climb that will skip Puke Hill. It's a fantastic new up option to the start of the crest. If you want to skip the chair go Armstrong to MidMountain to Pinecone. I'd honestly say to get the most fun riding for your time and if you're set on riding MidMtn and Crest in the same day do that, then ride out to the Spine, then turn around and ride it all in reverse finishing with Spiro instead of Armstrong. I rode it that way a week ago and it was an absolute blast. Crest is great both ways (probably better right now in reverse since there are no braking bumps on the downhill sections), the Pinecone descent was fantastic and Spiro to town is always a good time.

It's a long ride but the climbing will be frontloaded and the climbing is all mellow. Take lots of snacks and water to keep the energy up and be willing to pace yourself and you should be fine.
    Last edited by catch22; 07-10-2012 at 12:30 PM.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

mtbr member
    Just pace yourself and you'll be fine.

I rode the Crest with my brother (Guardsmans down) on Saturday; he was visiting from Portland, Or. He was riding his big bike, so we had no aspirations of climbing anything (I usually crap out and push the last 1/2 of Puke, anyway, and I live here!), but he is in reasonable shape, and did just fine.

We did encounter a group of guys from Baltimore, I think it was, getting to the top of Puke at the same time as us. Very fit looking guys in spandex team kits riding carbon 29'ers and such. They were cursing like sailors by the top, but most of them managed to climb Puke with only a quick stop or 2. So it can be done, even by people living at sea level. FWIW, they were amazed at the trail for the minute or 2 we talked to them, and they hadn't even seen the "good parts" yet. So I'd say give it a go. You won't forget it!
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by marzjennings View Post
    I just wanted to make sure that there's not a litany of stories of folks from the coast turning up and collapsing in a puking mess on the climbs.
    Why do you think they call the climb "Puke Hill"?

You'll be fine, it might hurt but you shouldn't need to carry O2 with you or anything like that.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    How much do you ride in Houston? I live in Houston, commute regularly, and rode the Crest two weeks ago. Made it up puke hill and the three b!tches in the middle ring, but I ride a lot back home. Everyone on your ride will be sucking wind, trust me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Just to echo what has already been said, I have a buddy that lived in San Diego and rode it with me. He was a little slower than I was, but made it and had fun. He lives here now and is still a little slower than me on the climbs. Point is, I think if you are in good bike shape you will be fine. Just take your time and realize some of the climbs are tough.

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Drink LOTS of water, and take it easy on the coffee. You'll be amazed at how the altitude and dry air drag the moisture out of you. As for the guy that made it up Puke in the middle chain ring...nice job! I'm setting that as my goal...as soon as that 48 tooth rear sprocket gets here.

Pedaler of dirt
    Well that was awesome, from Canyons Resort, up Ambush to Mid Mountain, across to Pine Cone Ridge and up to Wasatch for the return journey. Rode almost all of it, with only the last mile up Pine Cone just beating me. Just really short of breath to the end.

The way down from Wasatch, Connector and Ambush was a truly great ride.