mtbr member

Visiting the Great Salt Lake

I will be traveling to SLC for some work training and staying near the Maverick center. I am going to bring my SS 29er and get some riding in in the afternoons, and would like some recommendations on good food in the area, I would like to visit local buisnesses, as we have chains everywhere. Any recommendations would be great.

I will be driving down from Boise Monday May 20th, and will be in town for three days.

Thanks for the coming info,
    Jarrod

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    On the way from ID, hit Ogden area trails. In the Salt Lake valley, BST and Corner Canyon are the usual suspects.

How far are you willing to drive from where you are staying?

mtbr member
    I would probably drive 30 minutes or so, unless there is something spectacular a little farther, i could make an exception.

Picture Unrelated
    The Skid Map

A great resource for mountain biking in the region. You can see where the trails are and get some basic descriptions. Utah Mountain Biking - Trails, Information, Repairs has better descriptions when you know where you might be going. With this rain, you can switch the map to show you trail conditions (which are updated at an unknown interval) so you know if you will or won't be doing damage. Many of the trails in the area are sensitive to water so it's always appreciated to stay off them when wet.

Check out BST in the northern part of the city, Corner Canyon in the southern part of the valley (Draper), and I would say that it would probably be worth the drive up to Park City to ride Round Valley or whatever is open in Glenwild.

What kind of food are you looking for? It would be hard not to recommend Red Iguana, just watch out for peak times as it gets very crowded.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    If you're staying near the Maverick Center, you'll be out in the middle of the valley, and will need to drive to any trailhead. The Shoreline Trail (BST) between City Creek and the University Hospital is a scenic ride that you can knock off in a couple of hours. Take the Bobsled down, if you want some swoopy berms and jumps. Corner Canyon is in the southeast corner of the valley, and can be very crowded after 5:00 on weekdays, but it's likely worth a day. You can get to Park City area trails within 30 minutes on the freeway. Round Valley is dry now, and has a lot of singletrack. Same with the Glenwild area. Those trails are higher, so take a jacket, and be prepared for some altitude adjustment.

The Mueller Park trail, east of Bountiful, is apparently dry now. It's a nice smooth ride up a canyon with some amazingly good views up at the top. You can take North Canyon down, if you want some rocky technical pounding, or go back down Mueller.

Check out that Skidmap site, and read the forums on Utah Mountain Biking - Trails, Information, Repairs There is a lot more local trail discussion going on there.

For restaurants, yeah, go to Red Iguana. They have 2 locations near each other. The South Temple location is newer, a bit nicer, and doesn't seem to be as crowded as the original location on North Temple. It's open fairly late, so you could hit it after a ride in Park City or the north end of the valley.
    Justin
    Salt Lake City
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2006 Specialized Allez Expert Double

mtbr member
    Thank you all for the recommendations, hopefully I will be able to get in a fair amount of riding, as far as what types of food I like, I am pretty open to just about anything, as long as it is quality.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Copper Onion downtown on 200 S. is a great spot - walking to loads of water holes, a movie theatre, etc...

x2 on the hills behind the U of U - for how far you're willing to go, it's just "right there" and has plenty to keep you satisfied no matter your riding.

mtbr member
    So i made it out to the BST for 10 miles of out and back from the trail head near the Zoo and I had a blast. There was a fair amount of climbing, but the views and trails made the ride absolutely great. i followed it up with some black mole at the Red Iguana. Thank you all for the direction, I intend to try the Mill Creek pipeline tomorrow on recommendation from a nice guy riding a rigid dingle speed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    im from CA and just rode park city,,flying dog and it was fun.. just get killed with the altitude. Ate at red iguana and second that choice.

What do you suggest for a ride like the one i did today but with less climbing... I am staying downtown slc... and want to get a ride in the morning before I fly home later that afternoon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    If you're downtown, you can ride up to the Bonneville Shoreline Trail (BST) without driving to a trailhead. You'll need to do some climbing, but not nearly as much as Flying Dog, and elevation is friendlier.

If you want to do most of the climbing on paved or dirt roads, I would recommend the segment of the BST north of Ensign Peak. Here is a map zoomed in on that area:

The Skid Map

Ride north from downtown, past the Capitol building, then work your way through the streets west and north toward Sandhurst Dr. Keep going north on Sandhurst, until you come to a dirt road. Ride up that road, toward the towers at the top of the hill. Just before you get to the towers, you'll see a trail heading toward the east. Follow that, and keep going east until you drop down a nice descent into City Creek Canyon. Stay on the trail that parallels the canyon road for as long as you can. You'll join up with a paved road at the top of Memory Grove. Keep going down the canyon and you'll be back downtown.

I live downtown, and from my place, this ride is a 10-mile loop with about 1500 feet of climbing. I do it in about 90 minutes, and I'm a slow climber.

If you want to do more distance and climbing on trails, ride the segment of the BST above the Avenues area, from City Creek to Dry Gulch (behind the University Hospital). It's east of the segment I just described. From downtown, it would be about 16 miles and 2100 feet of climbing, mostly on dirt.

Either one would be a good option, with some nice views. They won't be crowded in the mornings on a weekday.
    Justin
    Salt Lake City
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2006 Specialized Allez Expert Double

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Thanks did corner canyon this am