mtbr member
    May 2008

Virgin FR trails for amateurs?

Are there trails in Virgin that aren't redbull rampage crazy, but still challenging that can be discussed on a public forum?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The "old" rampage site has fun stuff to ride that would be challenging and fun to a variety of skill levels.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Is that where flying monkey is?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Don't know, but it's not really trail riding, more just a zone with jumps, and lines to ride. Super fun and worth checking out. Good luck.

NOT Team Sanchez
    If you're looking for amateur fr lines, don't mess with the Monkey, it's tech dh with serious exposure.
    I like bikes.

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    There used to be some fun, quick shuttles that follow some spines off the road you take up to the monkey. They basically parallel the lower bit of road. Last time I rode there was 7 years ago, so things may have changed.

The old rampage venue is great though. Just ask a shop, head out there and get creative.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wasea04 View Post
    If you're looking for amateur fr lines, don't mess with the Monkey, it's tech dh with serious exposure.
    When I say amateur I just mean no pro level redbull rampage stuff. Exposure, steep tech medium sized drops... is what I'm looking for. I've seen vids of flying monkey and I would love to ride it. I agree, it looks like steep tech with little room for error, and videos always play things down.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by flowtron View Post
    There used to be some fun, quick shuttles that follow some spines off the road you take up to the monkey. They basically parallel the lower bit of road. Last time I rode there was 7 years ago, so things may have changed.

The old rampage venue is great though. Just ask a shop, head out there and get creative.
    Right on. Thanks. I wasn't sure if everything out there was just local's stuff or if you could get info at shops.

NOT Team Sanchez
    Flowtron is in part referencing Earn 'Em, which is a fun ride though the drop in's pretty intimidating. The Flying Monkey's lower half is a tough but not excessively dangerous rock garden and my favorite part of the trail, the upper sections are mediocre and don't justify the risk of getting hurt. To each their own of course. You should check out Grafton Mesa as a good warm up ride to Virgin, it has tech dh with some fun Rampage style moves at the bottom. It's up the road ten minutes in Rockville.
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wasea04 View Post
    Flowtron is in part referencing Earn 'Em, which is a fun ride though the drop in's pretty intimidating. The Flying Monkey's lower half is a tough but not excessively dangerous rock garden and my favorite part of the trail, the upper sections are mediocre and don't justify the risk of getting hurt. To each their own of course. You should check out Grafton Mesa as a good warm up ride to Virgin, it has tech dh with some fun Rampage style moves at the bottom. It's up the road ten minutes in Rockville.
    copy that.

I've rode grafton. Super fun! I've seen videos of lines I didn't see so I def want to ride there again sometime.

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Slimat, from what I've seen of your riding, you definitely gotta check out the monkey. That ride is sick, just don't get stupid.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by flowtron View Post
    Slimat, from what I've seen of your riding, you definitely gotta check out the monkey. That ride is sick, just don't get stupid.
    Sounds like a must ride trail! I've seen a number of videos some of which show some big drops, other's just show steep tech. Steep tech is my passion, going BIG isn't. I'll def keep it in check.

Next time I travel down that way I'll probably want to pedal around xc style too so do you think I need to bring a DH bike for monkey, or will I mange ok with a built up nomad: 170 fork, 2.5 tires, sturdy wheels..... I've always been one to try and ride everything with one bike, but first time down a gnar trail having a dual crown in front of you really helps.