Tigers love pepper...

Vernal - McCoy Flats suggestions

If all goes well Wed I should get done with work in Rangely early enough to hit Vernal before 5. Planning to get checked in and then head out to check out McCoy flats. I have the map from Altitude and have visited the trailhead, but haven't ridden out there yet.

I'm planning to bring my Salsa Spearfish (4" travel XC bike).

How technical are the blacks? Should I stick to the blues on the XC bike? Suggested routes? Looking for 10-15 miles flowy singletrack is fine, some technical is fine. My home trails are the Lunch Loops in GJ to give you an idea wht I usually ride.

Plan to bring my lights as well in case I get in later. Is route finding pretty easy in case this turns into a night ride?

Hopefully you guys aren't as sandy as we are right now.

Tigers love pepper...
    Not a single recommendation?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I haven't been to McCoy yet this year. I imagine it's a little sandy. It seems like everywhere else is out here. Your bike will be fine. My favorite ride in that area is to do FireSale and link it to Slippery When Wet. More Hoes is fun. They're all fun. I think Altitude still does a Wed Night Ride. Try to hook up with them. Have fun.

mtbr member
    Anything at McCoy would be hella fun on an xc bike....make sure to ride Retail Sale and Fire Sale (so fast and flowy), but everything else is accessible from the parking area and is well worth a ride. I haven't done too much else....Jass Chrome Molly could be fun but was ripped to shreds by cattle when I rode it (not sure of current condition), and Rojo was a blast, but I can't say how much of a blast you would have on an xc bike....depends on your riding style and preferences I suppose.

Give Altitude a call or even better stop in and chat with those guys....very cool, helpful shop and they are all stoked about their trails!

rpalmer
    Aug 2008
    Routes are easy enough to follow out there if you know beforehand what you want to do. Keep your map handy. My favorite route is to follow Retail Sale and fork off onto Fire Sale, back onto Retail Sale to Slippery When Wet, back to Retail Sale, and follow it back to McCoy Flats. As I recall, there is very little signage. Even finding where Retail Sale starts from the parking lot wasn't easy my first time out there by myself. You go across the road where the doubletrack heads out into nowhere and take a quick right turn onto singletrack. If you aren't looking for it immediately you will miss it. The fork onto Fire Sale is marked by a pretty cool looking sculpture built out of bike parts, but no sign I can remember. Fire Sale is designed to be very technical. There is some cliff exposure, so if you do it at night take it easy. Its meant to be ridden slowly anyway, for the most part. It joins back up with Retail Sale for some nice flowy stuff (all of Retail Sale is fast and flowy). I think the turnoff to Slippery When Wet is actually signed, but I can't remember for sure. Its a lasso-loop, very flowy and fast, my favorite part of the ride. Join back up with Retail Sale and drop into a ravine, climb out the backside of it, and start a nice long downhill back to the parking. There is another unmarked fork where Serpendipity connects into Retail Sale -- just remember to stay left at all forks after climbing out of the ravine and you'll end up back at parking.

Have fun!

Tigers love pepper...
    Thanks guys. Had a great time. Ended up riding Retail Sale (missed the first section due to missing the turn described above) then did Fire Sale. Fire Sale was good except for some steep sandy uphills/downhills. Crashed (no harm) on a super sandy downhill section. Was trying to feather the brakes to keep from skidding (and adding to the ruts) and got the front wheel turned sideways. Definitely have to pay attention out there or you can get into that soft shoulder real easy!

Was planning to do Slippery next and then get the lights out and finish on milk and cookies But my derailer hanger was tweaked enough that I was having shifting issues in multiple low gears, wind was picking up, and frankly I was getting tired so I skipped slippery and just did a lap on Milk and Cookies. Actually had a blast just ripping around there. Doing it clockwise I felt like I didn't have to pedal for like a mile after I crossed the road, just flowed!

Did just over 16.5 miles in a little over 2 hours. Fun trail system. Sand wasn't too bad overall, certainly not any worse than we have in GJ/Fruita right now. Trail system reminded me of 18rd a bit.
    Last edited by cobi; 05-30-2012 at 10:58 PM.

Tigers love pepper...
    Heading back up there Wed. Should be done with work around 2pm and was thinking about hitting some trails before trying to get home before dark.

Just built up a rigid SS and will probably bring that. I only have two rides on it and it is kicking my arse. I was think of hitting McCoys again and doing some blues. What is the most SS friendly other than milk and cookies? Was thinking I'd like to check out Slippery and Serendipity maybe more if it doesn't kill me first.

Running 32x20 right now (29er).

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Re: Vernal - McCoy Flats suggestions

Serp is a good one for a ss. Its just gonna hurt on the climb. Retail is also fun on a ss. Slippery has a few nasty loose climbs that arent very ss friendly. All the trails have been resigned and there are new maps at the trailhead. BLM has been busy this year

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Tigers love pepper...
    Yeah I planned to start with Jackalope, the climb about killed me so I cut off on Serendipity which was good fun, then connected to the end of Retail Sale. At that point I did Combo and Got Milk.

Just over 14 miles and 1250ft of climbing. I think 900 of that climb was on Jackalope in the first few miles! Not the right trail for someone just starting on the SS. Oh well, still had a great time.

Managed to leave by 6 and be back in GJ by 9. Not bad.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Good thing you didn't finish jack...especially on a rigid. It gets super cobbley at the top. Serpent-ipity is fun though. I'm going to have to make it over to gj to ride soon. Next time you're out, plan on hitting the red fleet trails, so much fun

Tigers love pepper...
    Definitely want to check out Red Fleet. Sounded like those were further out of town, and I'm usually pressed for time when I come up. Need an overnighter on the companies dime!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Red Fleet is definitely worth checking out. The trails aren't as clearly marked though. If you ever need a guide... let me know.