Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Utards - what are you riding

5K views 35 replies 20 participants last post by  jan_nikolajsen 
#1 · (Edited)
I thought it'd be neat to put together a single thread where fellow Utards can update where they're riding or what trails they're riding and/or post a couple pics if they took any...

This is a thread for misc banter of day to day for Utards rather than the roll call thread.

So post up!

#4 ·
Just picked up a 2012 Turner Sultan. First new bike since '08. What a bike... I test rode one of these last year but I didn't ride terrain that let it shine... I'm a tall guy at 6'5 so I went with a 2XL. Bike is so big that it makes the 29er look like kiddie wheels... First bike that actually fits me. This bike pedals lean and mean and efficient but just eats up trail and anything you throw at it, like its hungry. So awesome...

First ride last weekend in Park City was:
- Tour de Homes up to Silverlake from Snowpark (lower Deer Valley). I actually didn't mind/sort of liked this trail to get up to mid Deer Valley...
- Team Big Bear, to Moose Bones, which puts you up near the top of the Guardsman's road.
- T&G (the downhiull begins). this trail is a ripper...
- Cross mid mountain to Johns 99. At King's Road, drop down into Moosehouse (sort of like a less popular John's Trail).
- At the bottom, cross over into Daly Canyon, to a trail called Root Cellar.
- Take the horizonal trail that crosses the mine road, and goes all the way back to Snowpark. I think it's called Rose or Oak something. Awesome little tight / moderately technical trail just above Park City over to Deer Valley...

Now trying to I can get a couple nights in a week but its hard with work unfortunately..

#8 ·
I'm on a Specialized Enduro. Love the bike.

I've been riding it pretty much everywhere, from Mountain Ranch/Flintstone to Corner Canyon to Arcylon to bike resorts. Even got a quick trip to ride TWE - Hazard Down this spring. Crest planned for Saturday. Been a good year so far!

Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel

#11 ·
A year ago today, my main ride was a Banshee Rune.

Keels had a bastardized Kona four. Far heavier then it should have been.

After the Kona near rattled apart. We replaced it with a trek Superfly, built to suit Utah desert riding.

Shortly there after, the Rune self destructed thanks to a pivot design that is, at the very least, ill suited for dusty areas. I replaced it with a Nomad.

I prefer to ride it like this.

But on occasion, it's more like this.

And lastly, there's room for a couple uno speeds in the fleet.

His.

Hers.

#15 ·
2012 Santa Cruz Blur LT2 in XL. The RAM kit with some changes:
- 2012 Shimano XT brakes 180 F and R
- Kona Wah Wah pedals
- RaceFace Turbine 24/36/Bash front rings
- WTB Bronson 2.3 AM TCS up front and Maxxis High Roller 2.35 out back, both ghetto tubeless (and both about to be replaced with Hans Dampf Trailstar front and Trail King 2.2 UST rear).
- Either a Thomson Elite post or 2012 Reverb post, depending on what I'm riding.

Pic is after a Crest run from early June, taken at Mill D parking lot.

#20 · (Edited)
Hey Spoon Man - I currently only have 1 bike that I use for both northern and southern Utah. It is a full suspension with 6" of travel which is perfect for me when riding down south but overkill for the trails up north. I have been thinking about buying a 29er hardtail for the trails up north but I am not sure if I would ride it that much or not. I am just curious, how do you like your 29er hardtail? Do you ride ride your Cannondale more than your 29er?

#22 ·
Rode up Armstrong tonight. The new Turner is just a ripper and climbs so well. Possibly the fastest climb I've done on that trail. Ran into some friends, and then also ran into a Mountain Trails Foundation employee with some tire issues on his 29er. Helped him out then possibly made the fastest descent I've ever done also on the new Sultan. The thing just f'ing rips...

#28 · (Edited)
I guess I like my new bike...
Two new world records for 60 yr old bald guys in Jeremy Ranch named Joe!
Rode a short "Flying Dog" route (from Jeremy Ranch). My old record for time to climb to the top (5.4 miles and 1400 feet of climbing) was 47:39 set 2 Sept 2010. Today's was 46:30...My previous record for the whole loop was 1:08:12, 8/14/2011. Today's ride had a new segment that extended the trail length about .2 mile. Today's ride, 1:07:45. It's martini time!

#29 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.