mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Utah Road Trip - wifey allows 1 day to ride - where to go?

We're planning a loop through Utah in late March - from SLC through Arches/Moab to 4 Corners to Zion and then back to Cali. Where would you recommend taking my one day of "wifey-authorized" riding?

Or should I also try and cut sightseeing short on a couple days to make an extra few short loops? If so, where and what trails?

Should I lug the bike or save the gas and rent a bike somewhere?

This is probably my one trip to Utah for some riding in the foreseeable future. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm sure most people will say do Moab since that place is like Mecca for mtn bikers. I'll be making my 1st trip there for Outerbike in October. Since you'll be down near Zion, you can hit Goosberry or Little Creek. If you like fast, wide open stuff, you can do Thunder Mtn outside of Bryce Cyn.

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    You are going to be in Moab and St George and have only one day to ride? Did you piss off your wife? That's just cruel. Just kidding... SLC/PC will have snow on the good stuff. I'd ride as much of the Whole Enchilas as possible, but the La sals will probably have snow also. Gooseberry in SW UT. Cheers!

Paste eater
    Despiste the modest winter, I gotta believe that UPS/LPS will have snow on it when you are in Moab FWIW.

Kinda depends on what kin dof riding you prefer?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie View Post
    You are going to be in Moab and St George and have only one day to ride? Did you piss off your wife? That's just cruel. Just kidding...
    Ha! That's what I get for leaving her in a hotel room when she was pregnant last year on multiple occasions so I could hit the epic powder in Tahoe last year. She's now exacting her revenge!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    Despiste the modest winter, I gotta believe that UPS/LPS will have snow on it when you are in Moab FWIW.

Kinda depends on what kin dof riding you prefer?
    I'd prefer that there not be any treacherous climbing but I'm pretty open to anything as long as I get a taste of what the area has to offer...and that there are some sick views that you don't get from driving down the highway.

Ride and Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by mpbaideme View Post
    We're planning a loop through Utah in late March - from SLC through Arches/Moab to 4 Corners to Zion and then back to Cali. Where would you recommend taking my one day of "wifey-authorized" riding?

Or should I also try and cut sightseeing short on a couple days to make an extra few short loops? If so, where and what trails?

Should I lug the bike or save the gas and rent a bike somewhere?

This is probably my one trip to Utah for some riding in the foreseeable future. Thanks in advance.
    Bummer! I recommend no riding at all. One day sucks.
    Or get up and ride for 2-4 hours every morning and then go hike for with your wife.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by axolotl View Post
    Or get up and ride for 2-4 hours every morning and then go hike for with your wife.
    Yeah, that is a good idea...rather than trying to pack it in at the end of a day. What about my one free all-day pass to roam as I please?

Paste eater
    I'd prefer that there not be any treacherous climbing but I'm pretty open to anything as long as I get a taste of what the area has to offer...and that there are some sick views that you don't get from driving down the highway.
    Can only *really* comment on Moab. Amasa is one of my personal favorites. Best done Amasa>overlook>pothole>rockstacker>jacksons. Skip rockstacker and jacksons if tech isn't your bag. It is rather climby, but nice and grippy and consistent....

THe klondike area is more rolling terrain but doesn't have the same views as Amasa. Slickrock is really a polarizing trail. People love it and hate it, though there is no denying it's uniqueness and the views are spectacular.

Down south I've been to goose, brian head, thunder Mt and some trail called show me the money. Been some years, but show me the money was a blast.

That's what I got!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Been marreid for 30 years and have learned all things have a price, even day passes.......start
    negotiating!

Moab - get a suttle ride with others as far up Porcupine Rim you can go.

Hurricane/Zion - Ride Gooseberry Mesa, check with the locals first on access and a riding companion is well advised. The road in can be more technical than some trails in the area.

Both rides are vastly different and provide amazing views.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Ahhhh....FREEDOM!! Been married 22 years and doing what I want when I want has never been an issue on my vacations. Mayb you can squeeze an extra day or two or three of riding by sending your wife for a spa day?

mtbr member
    With one full day, I would ride both Gooseberry and Little Creek. That would give you the best bang for the buck. The Whole Enchilada would compete, but will not all be ridable in March.

Ride and Smile
    Yeah, that is a good idea...rather than trying to pack it in at the end of a day. What about my one free all-day pass to roam as I please?
    Shuttle can be a morning ride. So if you are fit and technically skilled, ride mag 7 to portal. Or ride all the way out amasa back and then hit rockstacker and jackson coming back.
    If lacking technical riding experience then ride something like Sovereign. Mag 7 would be my pick for a long ride.

Paste eater
    Mag 7 would be my pick for a long ride.
    I agree. In march you are only going to be able to ride porcupine. While still a blast, I think at that point mag 7 is a whole lot better IMO!

Ride and Smile
    I want to know why no one has said "go to an attorney" ????

mtbr member
    One day? You gotta make the most of it.

Moab: Amasa/Rocstacker/Jackson's in the AM.....Mag 7 . Portal PM! You can rest when you're back home. Thank me later.

Or...

St. George: Gooseberry AM, Zen and Barrels later afternoon/evening.

Or....

Thunder Mountain Am; Gooseberry Pm (note: these trails are about a 1 to 1.5 hour drive apart but you get to drive through Zion to connect them.)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Good advice.

Get up early and ride.

I think I would exchange your 1 free day pass for a few 4 hour passes. I also agree that it complety depends what type of riding you like. Check out Utah Mountain Biking - Trails, Information, Repairs and you can get really good descriptions of almost every ride in the state. I will give you a list of my faves in each area.

SLC/ PC. Considering how little snow we have had this year which could change at any time I think there is a good (Fair?) chance that mid level trails will be dry by april. The Boneville shoreline trail from the Zoo to Bobsled is a fav of the locals and should be golden that time of year. Muller Park, and Millcreek Pipeline are also possible depending on snow. Round Valley in Park city and the Glenwild trails are also possible.

Moab. Since everyone you tell you went to moab will ask if you have done slickrock I would go ahead and ride it. Its not a huge favorite of mine but its a great ride. There is really too much good riding in moab to make a short list. The Brand Trail system and the new intrepid trails in dead horse point are both pretty flat. Deadhorse point has amazing views but is pretty far from town for a morning ride. Mag 7 are all magnificent.

Zion/ St George. Another area that just has too much riding to mention. Basically just pick a trail and ride its hard to find a bad one Goose and Little creek are hard to beat if you don't want to climb.

At least one ride in each area come on one ride for a whole trip is just mean. you did not forget valentines day did you????
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I want to know why no one has said "go to an attorney" ????
    haha. good thing she doesn't read this. She'd kick my butt...or break my leg...do they allow wheelchairs on the trails?!?

Everyone, I appreciate all the comments and suggestions. I now have a lot of food for thought and some serious planning (and scheming) to do. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Wink

Get rid of the wife. Ride your bike for a few years till your heart is content and then upgrade the wife.

LetMeOut!
    Mar 2012
    Buy a full suspension trailer and take the kid on your bike ride. I'll bet you wife will let you ride a lot more!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    My wife says you need to grow a ball sack.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Id choose Moab. Better riding and you can drop your wife at arches national park while you ride. Gooseberry is great but your wife isn't going to have any fun waiting for you out in the middle of the desert. There's a lot more for your wife to do in Moab then st George while she waits for you...here's some trail beta for both moab and st George
    Ride Report
    www.24hrBikeShop.com 10% of your purchase price is donated to the trail organization of your choice!

mtbr member
    Yeah, some good advise here, and some bad advise. Don't ditch the wife. But yeah, if you need alone time, then you gotta get up early. Then spend quality time with said wife. Treat her with all your love. Next morning, get up even more early and get your shread on. MORE quality time with wife after 10am. Tell her stories about how cool the biking is. She will notice that you are a better person, thus granting more riding time. Include her and kid in super fun places you discovered while you were out riding. Remember, happy wife, happy life.
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

Tigers love pepper...
    Just got back from Moab with the wife and 2 year old.

Got camp setup about 2pm Friday, hung out with them till 6 then got a decent ride (10.5 miles) in at the brand trails. Got up Saturday and was on Porcupine by 8:30. Back in camp by 11:45. Had lunch with the family, took a quick nap (daughter needed one), and then hit the pool for almost 2 hours with the kiddo. Did family dinner, went for ice cream and shopping in town later. Home by noon today and my wife suggested I go get another ride in tonight cause the weather was nice! Pretty much a perfect weekend.

My point is, if you plan it right, you can get plenty of riding in and still be the good husband/daddy.