MTBR member
    Jan 2007

Utah Motorists are the Worst

mtbr member
    The comments are very telling. I wish that everyone could use common sense, but then I realize that common sense isn't as common as we would hope.

The Sentinel

Funny thing, that...

When I was a student at the University of Utah, my roommate was from Michigan. We were driving downtown one Saturday morning, and it was a little slick and snowy. He was on a rant about how crappy Utah drivers were, and how unbelievable it was that we couldn't remember how to drive in snow from year to year. We were coming down 4th South, and pulled up to the light on 7th East just in time to watch a car with Michigan plates, heading south on 7th, lose control, do a 360 in the intersection, and hit the curb on the southwest side of the intersection. I've always thought of that as a cosmic STFU to my roommate! Hi Troy...where ever you are!

Quote Originally Posted by wookie
    Sworn to avenge, condemned to hell

NOT Team Sanchez
    From the looks of it, it was a PRANK aka not how everyone drives, this is a mtb site take your trash talk elsewhere. btw we're better riders than you
    I like bikes.

Bored Carp
    Yeah, I think everyone thinks that the drivers they deal with are the worst, but frankly, I wasn't hit 4 times in Utah... IMO, most people don't know how to ride in traffic anyway, particularly people who live in states without real traffic (like here).

(of the 4 times I was hit, 2 times were in bike lanes, once was on a sidewalk, and one was a person trying to drive quickly so that they could turn right in front of me, instead of behind me. All of them occurred in L.A., none of them had to do with riding in traffic, except maybe the last one.)
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

mtbr member
    I was riding my bike home at night, and I did have the proper lighting front and back. I was riding along 110th south at about 3rd east, when these punks drove by and threw their drink at me. Some 44 oz big gulp or something of that nature. I couldn't get their plate number, but I did get a description of the vehicle and called police. They never caught the scoundrels, but needles to say, I was not a happy camper that night, having to ride home drenched in someone's mountain dew!

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    From the looks of it, it was a PRANK aka not how everyone drives, this is a mtb site take your trash talk elsewhere. btw we're better riders than you

I am not sure if your comment was directed at me Wasea04, but regardless, no one was trash-talking. I also live in Utah. The title was not meant to be literal. I posted the article because of the comment section-it reflects the mentality of the motorists in our fine state. Many Utah motorists do not believe cyclists have a right to use our roads. I have lived and biked in many states and several other countries. In fact, I have been hit in many states; there are bad motorists everywhere. Utah is, however, the only place that I have been almost killed on my bike. I was hit on my bike at 50mph, and I went through the windshield. I was then thrown about 50-100 feet. I no longer road ride, except on my mountain bike from time to time. It simply amazes me how often I see a report on the news about another hit-and-run (both on cyclists and pedestrians). It's sad.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chuky
    Yeah, I think everyone thinks that the drivers they deal with are the worst...
    This is true, but I have lived and driven in a lot of states (including Los Angeles, TX, OH, other parts of CA, and CO), and Utah is by far the worst in terms of people just not knowing how to drive. I'm talking about pure driving skill, understanding of the rules and law, etc. I don't know if it's the driver education standards in the state or what, but they are just awful.

NOT Team Sanchez
    Yeah bro, it sounds like you've got good reason to be angsty with our drivers and I was just messing with you on my comments hence the big smiley. If you think you've got it bad in SLC come down to STG where the median age for drivers is 70, they can hardly see your car! On a bike your toast, I had my rear wheel clipped by some old timers, I stayed up surprisingly! BTW sunnnshiiiiiiiine!
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Yeah, I'd have to say that the further from st. george in any direction... the better the drivers get(I've proven this point to myself many times). I'm talking from a motorist to motorist point of view. Its just aweful how bad the STG drivers are. If the road system was anything like in Europe then I wouldn't leave my house.