mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Utah Leadville Trail 100 Riders!!!

Looking for MTB endurance riders in Salt Lake Area for some long training rides...road and MTB. I know there are several Utah riders that did the Leadville Trail 100 last year.
    Looking for some good training buddies. I've finished under 9 hours before, but last year was 9:35. Thanks for looking!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I would like to do a ride.

From Downtown SLC across the shoreline and then ride the road up emmagration to the mormon-pioneer trail. Take that to Jeremy ranch road, and into Parkcity. Get on MMT at Pinebrook and take it all the way to PCMR. Climb up Spiro and the whatever the other trails are called to Guardsmans pass, up Puke Hill, Down the Crest, and down the millcreek pipeline back to Downtown slc. I would guess that is approx. a 10 hour ride. 2.5 hours to get to the Mormon Pioneer, another 2 to get up the pioneer and down into Jermey Ranch. 3 hours climb to puke hill and a couple to cross the crest and down to the city. I could be way off, or grossly underestimating how fast I can travel when tired, but that loop is one of my goals for 08. My house to Park city and back Via as much trail and as little road as possible.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

Bored Carp
    Okay, so that sounds kind of fun. Lots of pavement going up Emigration and East Canyon.

In order to preserve my own sanity, I think I would have to start with an abbreviated version (up Emigration to MoPi, over to PC, up the Ridge Connector, down Mill Creek) and work my way up to SLC's version of the Enchilada.

Anyway, going to be a long time till any of that is rideable, so if you all are interested in some long road rides, JMH and I are starting up.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

The only pavement is from the Zoo to Little dell.

Which is like 40 min so it would be nice to avoid that. I don't know of a way to ride a loop from SLC to PC and back without hitting some pavement. Possibily a small section from Jermey ranch to whereever I can get on trail at pinebrook. Its alot less road riding then any long road rides however

PM me

mtbr member
    Count me in. Haven't tried that route. Just bought a new bike that I think will climb much better than my old one. I definitely want to try a few longer rides this season. Where are you guys riding now, if at all?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    You can avoid the road by taking the agony escalator all the way up to Black mt., it's a hellish steep, rocky double track that will link you with the Big mt. trail, head south to mormon trail from there. (I'll never do it again! but it may be right up an endurance freaks alley.)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Where do you get on it?

Happen to have a GPS file of it. I would check it out for sure.

PM me

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Sorry Pedal no gps on it, just an old falcon guide. If you're familliar with the BST follow the climbing single track east from the intersection of the BST and the old entry to bobsled. As I remember it was hard to miss after that, just follow that double track to the ridge and turn right (south) at the GWT sign.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I'm familiar with the Double track that starts heading up hill from bobsled.

I had no idea it went that far. What percentage of it would you say is rideable?

PM me

Bored Carp
    yeah, this sounds pretty interesting. I have been curious about that one for a while...
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

Bend, OR
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway
    I had no idea it went that far. What percentage of it would you say is rideable?
    haha, zero. Seriously, once you hit the real climbing maybe a half mile after the avenues, you don't ride. not even push. I just put my bike on my back and walked straight up for about a mile. pretty damn scary coming down too, very loose. I've only gone up then back down though, never thought to continue farther, topos show the trail going all the way to Lookout peak, but I'm pretty sure it just fades out before it gets that far.

Anyway, I'd be interested in doing some long rides once all the snow melts, I'm not much of a road person. Hope no one wants to go fast though..

Bend, OR
    From Downtown SLC across the shoreline and then ride the road up emmagration to the mormon-pioneer trail. Take that to Jeremy ranch road, and into Parkcity. Get on MMT at Pinebrook and take it all the way to PCMR. Climb up Spiro and the whatever the other trails are called to Guardsmans pass, up Puke Hill, Down the Crest, and down the millcreek pipeline back to Downtown slc. I would guess that is approx. a 10 hour ride. 2.5 hours to get to the Mormon Pioneer, another 2 to get up the pioneer and down into Jermey Ranch. 3 hours climb to puke hill and a couple to cross the crest and down to the city. I could be way off, or grossly underestimating how fast I can travel when tired, but that loop is one of my goals for 08. My house to Park city and back Via as much trail and as little road as possible.
    This sounds fun/insane.

I've always wanted to get up to Great Western and see how far you can go, north or south.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Here's a fun loop

Start in Millcreek at the Big Water TH. Ride to the top of Millcreek, down the Ridge Connector, then North on MM to Trail of the Hunter and into Pinebrook. Take the West Perimeter trails, then cross I-80, go through Jeremy Ranch and jump on 24/7. Take Flying Dog in a CW loop, descending into Glenwild via Cobblestone loop and turning right on the Glenwild trail. Go up over the hills to the East and drop down the Stealth trail and around to the Glenwild TH. Cross under I-80 again and take the bike path over to Rob's trail by the Park City Community Church. Ride up to MM and continue South to Park City area. I pulled out, riding up Crescent Mine Grade, Apex and Shadow Lake loop to Scott's Pass and Wasatch Crest back to to the top of Millcreek Canyon and down to the TH. My goal was to take in a good portion of the PC area trails before going to Scott's Pass and back to Millcreek. The legs didn't have the zip that day. Someday. . .

Have fun!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

That sounds awsome.

I want to ride more of the lower elevation PC trails as I don't know them at all. Lots of big ride options is one of the great things about living here. I still want to do the SLC to PC to SLC loop, but I would be down to ride anything big. I have some serious cabin fever, and am ready to ride big asap

PM me

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Another Fun Loop. . .

. . . is to start at Scott's Pass, drop into PC via Shadow Lake and Crescent Mine Grade, then cut across to MM to John's and descend. Then climb back up John's (I really like John's!) and continue across MM to Deer Valley, ascending Tour De Suds (not nearly as fun as it used to be!) and working your way up to the big meadow at the top of DV via Big Bear and Flagstaff Loops. Then descend via your trail of choice to Silver Lake, continue descending, heading out toward Spin cycle (but not descending Spin Cycle) and working your way aorund the Deer Valley ICUP course to where you can join the Solamere loop. Then follow it ala stage 3 of the original E100 around to Aerie drive where you cut across town and climb back up to Scott's and call it a day. Mmmmm. . . good times!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Lot's of great rides!

July last year I rode from my house off Wasatch Drvie up the Temple Quary Trail on up Little Cottonwood over Catherine Pass down to Brighton. Continued up Gaurdsman to Scotts Pass and down around Silver Lake to Deer Valley via MM trail. Back Across MM to the connector down Mill Creek to the Dog Lake trail up and down Middle D. Down B. Cottonwood home. 83 miles 10,000 ft climbing 8 hours. Funny thing at the start of this ride I saw 4 MTB riders that were going to headup B. Cottonwood over to Heber and back through American Fork Canyon. Any of you guys out there?
    Anyone ever head south over Corner Canyon to American Fork Canyon and up Mineral Basin into Alta? I'm thinking this would be a good ride?

mtbr member

White Rim

Any of you guys ride White Rim Trail in one day? I go every year with friends, but we break it up. I'd like to try a single day loop with an experienced group if possible.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'd be interested to hear how it is going up brighton to catherine pass. I've long looked at this as a way to link trails in the north to the south, but avoided it because i haven't wanted to hike. Any comments from those who have done it?

There is a way from CC into Alpine and over to AF. Maybe qtip will chime in and let us know. I haven't done it. The ride up past tibble fork and into mineral basin to cross over into alta is nice. try it this time of year for something really spectacular - you ride on the the snowmobile tracks. I've never crossed over into alta but we made it to just below the mineral basin lifts last winter.

ahhh. . . to be in utah again (recently moved to oregon)

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Sorry for the old info, thanks for the input Ross. I did it in 97' and I've never been back.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    White Rim in a day. Have done it several times in both directions. Prefer parking off the main paved road and going down Mineral Bottom and finishing on the Scharafer trail. It's 106 miles around without side trips. We've done if at a slow to moderate tempo with short breaks. Usually have a total time of 12 hours and a saddle time of 10.
    Best time is late April/early May.
    We do it without support so no bailing out point. PM me if interested.

Certified Bike Junkie

Did this one with UCME4DK

Quote Originally Posted by ucme4dk
    . . . is to start at Scott's Pass, drop into PC via Shadow Lake and Crescent Mine Grade, then cut across to MM to John's and descend. Then climb back up John's (I really like John's!) and continue across MM to Deer Valley, ascending Tour De Suds (not nearly as fun as it used to be!) and working your way up to the big meadow at the top of DV via Big Bear and Flagstaff Loops. Then descend via your trail of choice to Silver Lake, continue descending, heading out toward Spin cycle (but not descending Spin Cycle) and working your way aorund the Deer Valley ICUP course to where you can join the Solamere loop. Then follow it ala stage 3 of the original E100 around to Aerie drive where you cut across town and climb back up to Scott's and call it a day. Mmmmm. . . good times!
    And loved it- Definitely fun to get the long rides in up in park city..I love incorporating millcreek into the mix as well..I cant wait for the high elevation trails to melt, ive been dreaming of them all winter long..With the snow pack now i bet it will be early july before everything up there is rideable Headin down to george in about an hour to get some dirt in- maybey it will hold me over a little longer till the snow melts!!!
    Check out my BLOG www.joemtbiker.blogspot.com

mtbr member

i love good mexican...

Quote Originally Posted by chuky
    ...SLC's version of the Enchilada.
    What's the Enchilada?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Dosboy,

Wasatch Crest at Thanksgiving a few months ago was great. A fair amount of dry trail (frozen - it was 8 degrees) mixed in with a little snow. Definitely unusual to ride that high that late in the year.

We've done WR in February. Not recommended when you're out of shape with the shorter days! It was fun though.

As soon as I get a hold of a camera I'll send some pics of oregon riding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

sounds fun