Fragglepuss The Chaste

Utah DH Trails...Wolf Mountain/Bountiful

For what it's worth, I headed up to Wolf Mountain on Saturday to check things out, hoping to ride the 4X course at the very least. That mountain has a good 2-3 weeks of warm weather and dry skies to go before it's ready. According the staff that was there they couldn't get their 4 wheelers past the mid-lift drop off point as the snow was still too deep. The DS/4X course even had some large snow patches on it.

Their plan is open the resort to lift access mountain biking on May 31st. To be honest I can't see that happening with the change in the weather we're supposed to get later this week. Don't be surprised if that date gets pushed back a bit.

Bountiful's a go though and seems to be getting a lot of bike traffic. Bruce's is dry as a bone and hot as an oven and talking with others there is just a little bit of snow up above where the DH race course begins.

Who knows when Deer Valley will dry out....my fingers are crossed.

Rumor has it Sundance is supposed to be opening Memorial Day weekend. Anyone know if this is correct?

wolf mtn ***** whore
    May 2008
    looks like we have to wait another week for wolf to open , june 7 is the opening day

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by FBC2008
    looks like we have to wait another week for wolf to open , june 7 is the opening day
    Probably a wise decision on their part, especially given the weather as of this morning.

wolf mtn ***** whore
    May 2008
    after working with them last season buidling trails up there, i am not a bit suprised , especially after hiking around the mtn last sunday, lower HK is completly clear, the race course has on patch of snow that is melting fast, green mile is 100%

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    after working with them last season buidling trails up there, i am not a bit suprised , especially after hiking around the mtn last sunday, lower HK is completly clear, the race course has on patch of snow that is melting fast, green mile is 100%
    I only made it up there once last year and it was the weekend right after they opened a new section of trail cut in the trees off the top of the lift to skier's right. When we rode it the dirt was still soft, the roots were sticking out, etc....

Anyway, I've been put up to the task of putting together the Super D course for the race going on June 21st weekend. Bill Cox emailed me a copy of the trail map they put out last year and markered in what I believe is that new trail and I swear they called it 'The Green Mile.' But like I said, I can't recall what was what but have a good idea as to how the mountain was laid out and what trails would be great to string together for a 7-12 minute Super D course. We're trying to keep it from crossing the DH course more than once and ideally I'd like it to hit the Dual Slalom/jump park section at the bottom off to skiers left.

Would you mind taking a look at this map and the trail I've outlined with a red line with some orange text and let me know if that is that new section they put in last year. If I recall it was a series of tight switchbacks in the trees and eventually kicked you out on the fire road that goes right in front of the mid-lift let off point and over to the top of the DS course. It's not the best map, but we're trying to put together the flyer and would like to give guys an idea as to what to expect. Also, let me know if that new section I have highlighted is actually the 'Green Mile' or if it is called something else.

Thanks a lot. I really appreciate it.

wolf mtn ***** whore
    May 2008
    From what I can see on the map you have the green mile mapped out

wolf mtn ***** whore
    May 2008
    do you need help with this, I am more than happy to help

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    do you need help with this, I am more than happy to help
    Given what I've marked on that map, how long do you think it would take an Expert/Pro racer to get from the top down to the grass field after the DS course?

My guess is that the event promoter is going to everyone start off the other side of the lift and ride uphill up and over the top and then hit the Green Mile, etc.... That will add a bit of time and take care of having at least one up hill section in the race.

Hey thanks, I appreciate the help.
    Last edited by slcrockymountainrider; 05-21-2008 at 09:56 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    does anyone know what the season ticket for Wolf Mtn will be this year? Also, I'm not familiar with the Bountiful riding area, and was hoping someone could show me around.. Is it a shuttleable ride or loop? thanks in advance..

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by wershkyct75
    Also, I'm not familiar with the Bountiful riding area, and was hoping someone could show me around.. Is it a shuttleable ride or loop? thanks in advance..
    It is best done as a shuttle, but I did ride up it...twice...on Saturday. Took us about 35 minutes to climb to the top of Bruce's trail, would have taken another 5-10 to get to the top of the race course. Easy middle ring spin on a fire road. It's a hot mountain, so carry lots of water. The motorized traffic wasn't too bad and no one harrased us.

Anyway, the weekend of June 1st is the Bountiful Bomber DH race. There is a shuttle service available...usually $5 a ride up. You can ride the course on Saturday during practice but it will be closed to racers on Sunday. It's a great way to ride with a bunch of guys, hook up with people and check the place out. Plus there will be plenty of people around to haul your carcass off the mountain should you slap.

You can check out the details here: http://www.go-ride.com/WSWrapper.jsp..._Bntfl_08.html

Here are some shots of my friend Noah on Saturday. This is the upper section of Bruce's Trail. Sorry, they were taken with a cheap (and slow) camera so no mid-air stuff. That all came out scenery only.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks. I'm going to be coming back from Boise Saturday, but I don't think I'd make it in time to get some good practice runs in to do the race Sunday.. is the DH course marked already? I doubt it would be this far in advance, but if the course is standard year to year I'll try to get out there and ride it before Boise.. Which fire road do you ride up to get to the top? Is there a map of the area somewhere?

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Thanks. I'm going to be coming back from Boise Saturday, but I don't think I'd make it in time to get some good practice runs in to do the race Sunday.. is the DH course marked already? I doubt it would be this far in advance, but if the course is standard year to year I'll try to get out there and ride it before Boise.. Which fire road do you ride up to get to the top? Is there a map of the area somewhere?
    There's no need to race. A lot of guys who are LDS or don't race head over there on Saturday just to ride with others.

The course should be marked sometime next Friday.

Basically the parking lot is where the big 'B' is on the side of the mountain. There is really only one fireroad up to the top with a few spurs the higher up you go. The spurs don't really matter as they are up above where most of the bike trails are. The fireroad starts right under the 'B' and you can't miss it.

Bruce's trail crosses that road quite a number of times. You can't miss the trail as you can see the single track criss crossing it at a number of places. The top of it is a bit tricky to find, but there are usually people up there on the weekends.

The other trails and race course are a bit more difficult to explain without a map. Again, there are usually people up there on the weekends.

Sorry, not the best info....I'm sure someone has a map on here somewhere.... Anyone? Bueller?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider
    There's no need to race. A lot of guys who are LDS or don't race head over there on Saturday just to ride with others.
    I want to race, is it not worth it? I was just saying I wish I could get some practice runs in on the course before race day..

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    I want to race, is it not worth it? I was just saying I wish I could get some practice runs in on the course before race day..
    It is definitely worth it. It's a great course, quite fast at first and then it gets quite a bit technical and steep.

Ron usually marks it sometime the Friday prior to the weekend. If he puts up all that ribbon any earlier the motorcycles, etc... will just take it out.

Keep in mind that this is State or Federal land and they put a cap on the number of participants allowed up on the mountain. I can't recall the exact number but it is around 100-150 so be sure to register early. They will not allow you to register on Sunday/race day. Usually there is enough time to get one run in before the 10am start time. You'll get two race runs: 1 in the am and the other later in the day. Expect to be up there all day as it takes time to get through everyone twice and then tally all the times. Your fastest time is the time that is counted towards your placing.

With the race two weekends away, there are going to be a lot of people up there practicing this coming weekend. Last Saturday there were at least 3 large groups up there doing runs.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Yesterday...Sunday....the Bomber course was marked with orange race markers. Someone's been up there doing a lot of work on that trail (the old '06 course) and added a new short section through some trees towards the middle. What used to be a somewhat sketchy trail, is now pretty buff, flows well and you can carry more speed in and not feel like you're going to slap.

I rode an RFX with a Fox 36 and an RP23 and never felt like I needed a dedicated DH bike.

Kudo's to whom ever put those berms in on the lower section right off the dirt road. I went down hard there in 2006 and that section always made me a bit nervous. Now it's like being on a rails.

Too many bikes, one truck...

Myself, Noah and Bart at the start of the race course.

Wayne on his brand new SOCOM FRO.
    Last edited by slcrockymountainrider; 05-26-2008 at 01:02 PM.