mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Utah Conundrum - Input please!

Hey Everyone,

I'm planning on taking a trip out to Utah this year to do some riding. Since I live out East, I'm going to go with a 4 or 5 day tour, so I don't have to worry about logistics, etc. My dilemma is this: I am torn between which area of Utah I should go to!

Originally I was thinking Moab/Fruita as it is the "mecca" of mountain biking, but this tour company also offers a tour in Southwest Utah. The Southwest tour encompasses Gooseberry, Brian Head (Bunker Creek, Blow Hard, Dark Hollow, etc), Thunder Mountain, JEM, and Little Creek.

This will be my first mountain biking trip in Utah. Am I crazy for going with Southwest Utah instead of Moab/Fruita? One of the other reasons I am drawn to SW Utah is the proximity to the Kaibab Plateau in AZ. I'm thinking I could then take a couple days to explore the Rainbow Rim trail and camp overnight there. I know I'll have a blast wherever I go, but still can't decide!

Any thoughts on Moab vs. SW Utah? Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I have been to all the areas you mentioned multiple times, and they all have amazing trails....but if you have not experienced Moab you need to go there first!!

And Fruita is not that far away from Moab so you could even head over there for a day

save SW Utah for another time

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    I'd go to Moab if you've never been. It might help if you mentioned when you were going too.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I frequent both places, and would say if you haven't been to Moab, then it is a must. Slickrock and Porcupine Rim are both must rides. What you should do is spend 2 days in Fruita, 2-3 days in Moab, and 2-3 days in St. George. That would be optimal.

Big B's Trails
    StG
    Hurkin
    Brianhead
    You'll have the trip of a lifetime... make sure and visit Zion NP since you'll be staring at it the whole time.
    I dig dirt!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks guys. @wookie, I'm planning on making the trip in mid-late September.

Bike Snob
    After riding both for most of my early life I packed my bags and moved to the StG. The trails and options are better all around.
    I only ride about 3 trails in Moab anymore and Slickrock is not one of them. It's cool to see but I don't understand how it has gained Epic status.

WLB
    It's a Mojo mang!
    At that time of year, if you have time to spend a couple of days in the Salt Lake area, the riding is fantastic here too. Park City, Midmountain, Glenwyld, Flying Dog, Boblsed, BST, Draper, etc., we have an embarrassment of riches in trails. September, beautiful golden leaves, it's awesome. If you are confined by time to just going to the desert, in my humble opinion, I'd far rather ride SW Utah than Moab. I've ridden both a bunch, but after the last couple of years riding the Hurricane, St George area, I don't even go to Moab anymore.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Moab for your first trip. There's just more epic riding to fill your 4 days with. After a couple days in the gooseberry area, you'll be riding space filler rides that can be really fun but not epic.

Ride Report
    www.24hrBikeShop.com 10% of your purchase price is donated to the trail organization of your choice!

Paste eater
    Can't go wrong IMO What tour company are you going with?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Jwind, I've been looking at using Sacred Rides. Here are the tours I've been looking at:

SW Utah: Magnificent Mesas | Sacred Rides
    Moab/Fruita: The Best of Moab and Fruita | Sacred Rides

SW Utah fits my schedule better. I'd love to do both (The Ultimate Southwest | Sacred Rides), but I don't have the time, nor do I want to shell out another grand...

Anybody have other tour companies they would recommend? I've looked at others, but the above tours seem to offer the most variety of riding.

mtbr member
    Mid September is the perfect time to go to Moab. You would have a great trip either way, but Moab would get my vote.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

Chumley for prez!
    Ok, Ill do it...since I'm sure this is going to come up. Someone is going to tell you to go to Sedona. I haven't ridden there, but I hear it is the best thing since the invention of whiskey and bacon. No seriously, I hear the riding is really good, and they have real beer.

If I were you I'd just go to Moab because its closer for you coming from the east...and the riding is fantastic. This isn't really much of a conundrum, since you'll probably have a fun time no matter where you go. It's all rad here.

Skip northern Utah unless you have to drive that way anyway...it's fun and all, but probably not what you're looking for.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Why are you using a guide service? Its not like trying to summit Everest

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cbk1984 View Post
    Hey Everyone,

I'm planning on taking a trip out to Utah this year to do some riding. Since I live out East, I'm going to go with a 4 or 5 day tour, so I don't have to worry about logistics, etc. My dilemma is this: I am torn between which area of Utah I should go to!

Originally I was thinking Moab/Fruita as it is the "mecca" of mountain biking, but this tour company also offers a tour in Southwest Utah. The Southwest tour encompasses Gooseberry, Brian Head (Bunker Creek, Blow Hard, Dark Hollow, etc), Thunder Mountain, JEM, and Little Creek.

This will be my first mountain biking trip in Utah. Am I crazy for going with Southwest Utah instead of Moab/Fruita? One of the other reasons I am drawn to SW Utah is the proximity to the Kaibab Plateau in AZ. I'm thinking I could then take a couple days to explore the Rainbow Rim trail and camp overnight there. I know I'll have a blast wherever I go, but still can't decide!

Any thoughts on Moab vs. SW Utah? Thanks in advance!

Different kind of riding here in SW Utah.

Like Fruita our trails are purpose built MTB singletrack. Our area tends to be much less crowded than Moab, seeing ten people on Goose during a day total during the weekis rare and many days I've had Little Creek all to myself.

I think our area is a bit more mellow than Moab since we don;t have the ATV and Jeep crowds thy get. This may or may not be something you care about.

Depending on the time of year, it can get pretty hot here down low (3k to 5k feet) but up high its nice. Rainbow rim is outstanding as in the Virgin River Rim trail and Thunder Mountain.

If it's SW Utah that you're thinking about check out our website for some your options or shoot me a PM. Everything we do is client specific, we don't try to "fit you into" a tour, our stuff is all custom and very resonably priced

Hope you have a blast wherever you choose!
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    [QUOTE=STT GUY;9189634]Different kind of riding here in SW Utah.

I think our area is a bit more mellow than Moab since we don;t have the ATV and Jeep crowds thy get. This may or may not be something you care about.

I Everything we do is client specific, we don't try to "fit you into" a tour, our stuff is all custom and very resonably priced

=

SPAM,SPAM, SPAM!

What if we all did this? ,

then mtbr would just be a advertising site.

I could not recommend a business that uses these forums as a marketing tool,
    trolling and spamming. while comparing another community's offerings in a negative light.
    These forums are full of knowledgeable folks in the business who offer advice, help and community without promoting their own agenda. And therein lies the value.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I didn't think that was spammy at all. He added some helpful insight and then mentioned that he does guiding. No big deal.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jstaples View Post
    I didn't think that was spammy at all. He added some helpful insight and then mentioned that he does guiding. No big deal.
    Fair enough. I guess I woke up grouchy this morning. Peace