mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Trails near bear lake

I'll be spending some time there over the 4th of July weekend and I'll have my bike with me. Which trails should I try to ride? Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I go there twice a year and I have yet to find anything very good. There are a few on Utahmountainbiking.com but I haven't found anything I would give a C or better yet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Stump Hollow in upper Logan Canyon is very good. About 10 miles down the canyon from Stump Hollow is Jardine Juniper. I think both trails are great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks. I was looking at that jardine juniper trail and it sounds like a cool ride. I'll have my car and a rack so I don't have to stick right around bear lake.

oootard
    Quote Originally Posted by aflax View Post
    Thanks. I was looking at that jardine juniper trail and it sounds like a cool ride. I'll have my car and a rack so I don't have to stick right around bear lake.
    I go to Bear Lake pretty often in the summer, and have been going for years. There is an awesome ride from Swan Flats road north and down Fish Haven Canyon. It is big, and takes some navigating skills, but it is really fun. USFS maps show the trails. There are several options. We have done a few of them, from doubletrack/singletrack combos to singletrack/game trail combos. There is one section of singletrack with a little USFS sign showing the boundary between Utah and Idaho. I will try to dig around for some photos.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tws_andrew View Post
    I go there twice a year and I have yet to find anything very good. There are a few on Utahmountainbiking.com but I haven't found anything I would give a C or better yet.
    You must have very high standards, or you've been riding the stuff that's within sight of the lake itself.

As mentioned above, the following rides should be considered:

Stump Hollow Stump Hollow
    Beaver Creek - Sink Hollow Sink Hollow
    Bunchgrass Bunchgrass Trail
    Blind Hollow Blind Hollow Trail
    Jardine Juniper Jardine Juniper Trail
    Peterson Hollow Not on UMB, but is located right by Beaver Mountain
    Shorty's Cutoff - Steam Mill Lake Steam Mill Hollow

St. Charles Canyon loop - Highline Trail, not on UMB, starts from a campground up St. Charles Canyon.

All of these rides are located from 15 - 30 minutes from Bear Lake. Some work better as shuttles (which may not be a possibility for you). Give me more information on what type of terrain you are looking for and how many miles you want to ride and I can give you more targeted suggestions.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks for the responses. I like riding technical single track, and don't mind earning my downhills. I was planning on 10-15 miles and about two hours or so of riding. Should get at least 1, maybe 2 rides in. Shuttling won't be an option, but I'll have a car and can drive a bit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aflax View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I like riding technical single track, and don't mind earning my downhills. I was planning on 10-15 miles and about two hours or so of riding. Should get at least 1, maybe 2 rides in. Shuttling won't be an option, but I'll have a car and can drive a bit.
    Stump Hollow is the closest to bear Lake and is a classic. Great fun, but not very technical. Jardine Juniper is in the same class, but it is farther away. If you are interested in that loop up St. Charles canyon I can send you the gps file. It is more difficult both technically and aerobically, but is fun. Let me know if you want any additional information on any of the options I listed above and I will be happy to elaborate.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    +1 for Stump Hollow. Rode it a couple weeks back and it was a blast.

@trailgrinder
    Neil you are the man, why not send him the file to your uber summer ride that is crazy, I can't remember what you call it but that's not too far from the area

Mtn Biker Machinist
    +2 for Stump Hollow. Good ride, close to the lake, and lots of options to hook up with once you hit Peter Sink if you want more riding. That was the last trail I rode with my brother before he was killed, and I will be riding it for sure when we visit Bear Lake end of July. Never ridden Jardine Juniper, but I may try to check that out this year too! Love spending time up there! Pics from your ride or it didn't happen!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Live2rideUtah View Post
    Neil you are the man, why not send him the file to your uber summer ride that is crazy, I can't remember what you call it but that's not too far from the area
    The world famous Logan Canyon Sampler! The route varies from year to year, but often incorporates much of the terrain mentioned above. I, of course, would have recommended it, but it doesn't quite fit into the 10-15 mile and "a couple" of hours range....

mtbr member
    I'll just bump this thread since it has good info rather than posting another Logan query.

I'm curious if anyone has ridden Bunchgrass lately? Or, still too much snow?
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

mtbr member
    There doesn't seem to be much interest in the Logan Canyon area in the Utah forum but there is some good riding here. Instead of Bunchgrass I rode Blind Hollow. There were a few snowbanks to climb on the climb but the downhill to the hwy was dry and is an outrageous fun and fast romp with just enough chunk to keep you honest.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

mtbr member
    This past weekend we crammed 6 shuttle rides into one day in Logan Canyon. It was a long day as some of those drives are long, but it was awesome. About 55 miles total with ~18,000' of descending.

We rode:

Stump Hollow: Good to go, all the way from Logan Canyon summit, up Burnt Fork, across Peter's Sink, and down the trail proper.

Bunchgrass: Big snow drifts on the descent from the top down to White Pine Lake. A few downed trees on mid-Bunchgrass

Blind Hollow: As noted above, lots of snow drifts on the climb up from Tony Grove. The downhill is in excellent shape.

North Syncline - Dry Canyon: Very surprisingly dry. A couple of small snow drifts on North Syncline.

Richard's Hollow: Excellent shape.

Spring Hollow: Upper switchbacks are a little bit slimy, but not too bad. The middle flat-ish meadow is crazily overgrown. Needs some traffic to beat back the foliage.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Hey logan experts, while we're looking at Logan Canyon ... is this loop a good idea, bad idea or somewhere in between. If you were going to do it, what direction and start/stop points would you recommend?

Comes out to under 27 miles with 5K+ of climbing. Sounds stout, but as we know, the devil is in the details.

Use link above if this doesn't show (seemed to work in preview...)

Create Maps or search from 80 million at MapMyRide

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk View Post
    Hey logan experts, while we're looking at Logan Canyon ... is this loop a good idea, bad idea or somewhere in between. If you were going to do it, what direction and start/stop points would you recommend?

Comes out to under 27 miles with 5K+ of climbing. Sounds stout, but as we know, the devil is in the details.

Use link above if this doesn't show (seemed to work in preview...)
    Definitely somewhere in between. If you were set on this route, you should probably do it counter-clockwise starting from the bottom of your map at the Temple Fork Turnout.

From there, you'd head north on Worm Fence (lame, steep-ish, and rocky climb on an ATV road). Then you would head north west on Bunchgrass. Fairly substantial climb, with a few hike-a-bikes thrown in.

Descend down to Tony Grove. Climb up to Blind Hollow. Your loop shown includes a brief foray into Wilderness area (thusly illegal on a bike). I have.....uh.....heard that it's a pretty good addition though. Downhill on Blind Hollow is fun back to your car.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Oh crap, really? Wilderness? Ouch. Didn't spot that on skidmap, which I was assuming was listing legit bike routes. I see there is a more direct path on Blind Hollow, that must avoid the wilderness.

Thanks for the input. Doesn't sound like I'm going to cancel any plans and head up there for that right now

Hopefully I'll get up to explore - just need the right motivation. ( ie: nice big full day of good riding w/out shuttle )

thanks again

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by neilether View Post
    Descend down to Tony Grove. Climb up to Blind Hollow. Your loop shown includes a brief foray into Wilderness area (thusly illegal on a bike). I have.....uh.....heard that it's a pretty good addition though. Downhill on Blind Hollow is fun back to your car.
    It's not posted as crossing into wilderness but that's not to say I went that way either.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk View Post
    Oh crap, really? Wilderness? Ouch. Didn't spot that on skidmap, which I was assuming was listing legit bike routes. I see there is a more direct path on Blind Hollow, that must avoid the wilderness.

Thanks for the input. Doesn't sound like I'm going to cancel any plans and head up there for that right now

Hopefully I'll get up to explore - just need the right motivation. ( ie: nice big full day of good riding w/out shuttle )

thanks again
    Logan is a bit tricky to put together big loops, but there are better than the one you proposed for sure. If you're gonna be up here, hit me up and I can give you some suggestions.

Just as an FYI, the Logan Canyon Sampler will take place on Sept. 20 this fall. It'll be a ~43 mile loop. I will post a ride announcement as the time gets closer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    It's not posted as crossing into wilderness but that's not to say I went that way either.
    Ignorance is bliss. Forget I said anything.....