CEB
    No horse'n round

Trail recommendations SW Utah please

Some friends and I will be coming to your great state of Utah to enjoy the sights and trails of Gooseberry and surrounding trails. Using Hurricane as our central point, we have 3 days of riding (mid Sept).

Of course we MUST ride Gooseberry, so half day on the mesa is called for. But what about the other 2.5 days? What are the top 5 trails you recommend for a "well rounded" SW Utah experience? Thanks in advance for any recommendations! (Looking for XC riding)

I do have this site. Utah bike trail selection by region

What I'm looking for is some personal recommendations. Maybe even some sure bet good places to eat as well

mtbr member
    May 2013
    There's a sticky devoted entirely to this at the top of the Utah thread... St. George/Hurricane Trip Planner

I did a similar trip a few months ago (XC rider), and here are the trails I did with my personal rankings.
    1. Gooseberry
    2. Barrel Roll / Sidewinder / Suicidal
    3. Bear Claw Poppy
    4. Stucki (from BCP)
    5. JEM (we did this after Goose on the way back into town, and may have just been tired, but I didn't see all they hype)

Zen was on the to do list, but we didn't get to it on this trip.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    If you want long XC, definitely the full JEM - hurricaine rim. If you only spend 1/2 a day on Goose, then you probably are only going to get to ride 1/2 the trail out there....

CEB
    No horse'n round
    The sticky... DOH... thanks! there is about all the data I need there.

Except cuisine. Any special place in the Hurricane/St Geo area I must try... or I MUST avoid?

Thanks!

Chip

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CEB View Post

Except cuisine. Any special place in the Hurricane/St Geo area I must try... or I MUST avoid?

Thanks!

Chip
    Must try: the bit & Spur in Springdale has the best food that I know of.
    Must avoid: Baristas in Hurricane.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Gotta hit Little Creek Mesa when in that area. Sure most will disagree, but I like it WAY better than Gooseberry.

perpetual pucker factor
    If you like more playful trails, Bearclaw Poppy is a fun ride. The Barrel Cactus/Race Loop can feed you right into the Bearclaw too. Barrel is kind of short but has a lot of varied terrain from slickrock and technical climbs to fast singletrack. Lots of freeride-ish jumps off to the sides of the main trail if you like doing/watching that sort of thing. The Bearclaw alone will take the average group about 2-4 hours from top to bottom, depending on skill level of course. Then the ride back on the roads if you don't have a shuttle will be about 5 more miles of pavement. Shuttling is almost a necessity in the 115 degree summer heat, but not nearly as necessary when it's cooler in September. Nothing overly hard on the trail, but there are plenty of challenging lines if you look for them. Just look before charging into things. You'll also be ending in St George, which has far more options for lunch/dinner than Hurricane.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Prospector trail is a great morning or evening ride for those days you ride one trail in the morning and haven't had enough riding and want a second ride later (or vice versa - a great warm up trail too). It is right there close to the I-15 Hurricane exit on the west side of the freeway. Fun and fast single track and slick rock. Great out and back and you can make a 10-ish mile lollypop out of it if you include the church rocks loop. I also usually hit it as I'm heading out of town.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CEB View Post

Thanks!

Chip
    Don't forget Zen. One of my favorites in the area. +1 for Little Creek although I wouldn't say it's better than Gooseberry, just different.

Food: Benja Thai was pretty good (so said my son who went there this week) and we also like the Pasta Factory in the same Ancestor Square in St. George.
    And I know it's a chain, but I have a hard time passing up the Sweet Pork Barbacoa burrito at Cafe Rio when I'm in St. George. So good.

Proud American
    Everything mentioned is correct... but, I'd include Guacamole. Guac is one of the more scenic rides (the entire trail) and its important to hit the Mesa Tri-fecta (Goose, Little Creek[with a guide] and Guac or Grafton). Big thumbs up for the 'Bit & Spur' restaurant in Springdale. Don't miss Zen. Do the Barrel Roll, Sidewinder, Suicide group of trails and maybe roll from that lot down into Stuckie. You could be a little crazy and drive to Rainbow Rim Trail at the North Rim of Grand Canyon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    If you do drive into Springdale,...I would recommend Mimi's Café.We had some good coffee,sandwiches,and friendly service.

CEB
    No horse'n round
    DONE!

Thanks for all the info!

Rode Goose, Lil Creek (Pic is me on Lil Creek), Guac and J.E.M.
    Then walked the Virgin River narrows just about 1/2 way in. Great way to "cool down".

TIP: When in Hurrykane be sure to stop by and see Quentin, Clay and the gang at Over The End bike shop. They have the goods, the trail knowledge and local info.

Until next time, thanks Utah!
    Trail recommendations SW Utah please-lilcreek.jpg
    Last edited by CEB; 10-06-2013 at 07:37 AM.

rpalmer
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TOLOCOMan View Post
    Gotta hit Little Creek Mesa when in that area. Sure most will disagree, but I like it WAY better than Gooseberry.
    Absolutely 100% could not agree more Little Creek offers the best riding in SW Utah. I don't know why anyone would disagree.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    JEM is awesome, but I found the loop back on Hurricane rim not as fun as I have expected.

I spent 2 nights camping on Gooseberry Mesa and I loved it ! it's remote, with awesome landscape and you can hit the trails from your camp spot... I definitely have to go back there