mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Trail recommendations in Moab (X-Post)

We are heading down to Moab this weekend (our first time) and I was hoping some of you could give us some trail recommendations. My husband and I typically like technical single track with lots of ups and downs but we haven't been on our bikes since last October. We are hoping to do some moderate rides, not complete lung busters. What can you all recommend? We will be riding all day Saturday and half day on Sunday. TIA

kelly

Every Ride A Gift
    Just got back from there - see my post under the "Passion" forum called "First Trip to Moab - AWESOME!" I mention the trails I experienced and there are lots of photos from me & others.

Because you'll be there such a short time and like singletrack, I would give my highest recommendation to Porcupine Rim. Take a shuttle to the trailhead, just east of town. You'll have a pretty stiff climb of a couple miles, but then it's about 10 miles of the most awesome downhill singletrack & jeep trail you've ever experienced. SPECTACULAR views along the way. Hopefully you've got some good full suspension bikes, or you can rent them at one of the bike shops in town. You can continue on the road back right into town. Total will take about 4 hours or so.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kellyinutah
    ...but we haven't been on our bikes since last October.
    I too love Porcupine Rim, there's nothing wrong with over 10 miles of downhill, but keep in mind that this is one of the most punishing trails in the Moab area. If you haven't been on your bike for a awhile I'd recommend starting early taking plenty of water and a lunch for the scenic overlook at the top of the climb and then on the way down TAKE YOUR TIME. I agree with bwhip, this trail warrants a full suspension bike. Also, every mnt. biker should at one point in their life do The Slickrock trail. Again, start early with plenty of water, a lunch and take your time. Let us know how it goes.

Every Ride A Gift
    I tend to agree with Crash - with the limited amount of time you'll have there, you could do Porcupine on Saturday and spend a few hours at Slickrock on Sunday. Both are close to town, Porcupine would be a longer ride but mostly downhill (since you mentioned being off the bikes for a while), and the design of Slickrock would enable you to spend as much or little time there as you wanted, because you could always do an out-and-back on a portion of it, as well as the practice loop portion. I think both of these trails are "must-ride" trails while in Moab. Take your time on both and enjoy!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Our team just got back from Moab as well for spring break. I would definately recommend Porcupine rim and Slickrock. Those are must do's. Parts of porcupine rim are pretty exposed on the last part of the ride so if you don't like heights there's some sections you may want to walk....and even if you don't mind heights there probably are some sections that are good to walk, penalty for failure is pretty high in a couple places. If you really want to rip porcupine it's probalby a good idea to have some pads and a full face. We didn't get to the portal/poison spider but that's supposed to be a good fast technical ride too, along wtih the portal being very exposed in some places.

Also I really enjoyed Amasa Back as well and would recommend it. For newer riders Klondike was a good ride that everyone could do without too much trouble. If you like to play around barletts wash is pretty fun.

Also if you want a really fun road bike, drive up the lasal mountain loop to the top where it turns to gravel road to the campground and turn around and ride down to town. It's about a 4000-5000' 15mi descent, but it does have one really good long climb in it, but mostly it's just fun ripping down. If you do the whole loop it's probably 50 miles or so and a full days ride.

I'm sure there's lot of other good trails too, we heard of a different way down from the top of Amasa Back that was supposed to be very technical, we didn't go back up and try and find it, but it sounded like something you'd want full gear for.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

You should try Sovereign Singletrack

This is a new trail that was built by some volunteer dirt bikers and it's a sick trail. I just rode it on saturday and highly recommend it. It has some climbing in it but the downhills are really great. You can drop by the Chili Pepper bike shop and talk to them about it and buy a map for $3. This was the only shop in town that told me about this trail and had maps. There is a little slick rock near by if you want to play on that too.
    Ventana X5
    Salsa Mukluk

www.fitzgeraldsbicycles.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddM
    If you really want to rip porcupine it's probalby a good idea to have some pads and a full face.
    Iím becoming a fan of armor, and most any trail in Moab begs you to use it or else... What Iím wearing isnít the full blown DH gear but rather the lighter weight FR stuff. I started with elbow/forearm pads and have just placed an order for knee/shin pads and a Giro Switchblade, which is a convertible full face helmet. I typically carry my pads in my Camelbak and only put them on when the trail justifies it.

mtbr member

couple of good links...

Make sure you browse the Moab section of http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/ and visit http://www.discovermoab.com for some general Moab info.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Porc/slick/amasa

Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    Make sure you browse the Moab section of http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/ and visit http://www.discovermoab.com for some general Moab info.
    I agree, with those three trails for a first time Moab'er. Definitely shuttle the Porcupine rim. It will save you 10miles of dusty dirt roads. This will help if you are outta shape. The climb to the overlook is solid and the rest of the trail is great. No need for armor or anything just make sure you have plenty of extra Tubes and decent tires. Oh yeah, lots of water. I have done this ride in a couple hours with pretty hardpack conditions and it has also taken me 5+ with 5 blown tubes and sandier conditions. Just take your time and have fun! I would say you definitely want to ride the slick Rock trail. This is a must for everybiker!!! You will be amazed at the things you can climb one you commit, the rock is like GLUE... It is basically a loop, one direction is a bit easier than the other. Then there is Amasa Back.... great place to ride if you are not up for a really long ride. It is essentially a good climb then you turn around and have a good downhill. If you guys are camping there are also some great spots a ways past the amasa bakc trail head. Cane Creek road is insanely beautiful once you are a few miles into it.

hope that helps...

mtbr member
    May 2004

New question here. Trip to Moab

Hi,

I am from Toronto and I am planning a trip to Moab for 7-10 days.

I will land in Salt lake city.
    Do you have any suggestions on which trails to do?
    I thought about late August. Is the weather good for biking (not too hot) or would you recommend some other time?

I like technical stuff.

Thanks,

Itay