Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Trail condition update in St. G as of 1-16

1K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  STT GUY 
#1 ·
We rode Barrels, Zen, and Barrel Roll yesterday. Zen was 99% clear with just a few moist spots. Barrel Roll and Barrel trail were about the same. Great riding. This morning we did 2 loops on Prospector/Church Rocks. Trails were money. Great conditions. Jem/Hurricane Rim are still muddy. Goose/Little Creek still need a few more days of 50 degree weather.

#2 ·
El Chingon said:
We rode Barrels, Zen, and Barrel Roll yesterday. Zen was 99% clear with just a few moist spots. Barrel Roll and Barrel trail were about the same. Great riding. This morning we did 2 loops on Prospector/Church Rocks. Trails were money. Great conditions. Jem/Hurricane Rim are still muddy. Goose/Little Creek still need a few more days of 50 degree weather.
Did Prospector to Red Canyon then out to CR this morning, The trail is in better shape than I thought it would be but to call them "money" might be a stretch. 77.8% of the dirt sections are like ridiing a washboard thanks to the cowboys riding their donkeys out there while it was still wet.
I am sure it was better on that luxury sled that your riding but on my fully rigid budget build it was no picnic, still better than not riding.

#3 ·
My perception of the trail conditions is more a function of my trails be covered in 6 feet of snow right now. To me right now, a dry paved road would be absolute heaven. I"ll be down in Feb Mark. I"ll drop you a line before I come.

#4 ·
El Chingon said:
JEM and Goulds need substantially more than "a few more days" to be ridden damage free. JEM is in terrible shape from the thanksgiving FUBAR crowd. It's gonna need a lot of work.

Hurricane Rim can be done as an out and back (not a loop..) from the cell tower parking lot.

Goose still has lots of snow on anything north facing and the road in is really bad. Little creek is very wet and easily damaged, looking at a week minimum more of dry weather.

We had a whole YEARS worth of rain in two weeks. The ground is ultra saturated and some trails will take weeks to dry. Upper JEM and Goulds are a couple that are gonna be really slow to dry. Sucks to live basically ON the JEM ond not be able to ride it.

#5 ·
I'll agree that the trails were "money" while down there. Only trail that we turned back on was Stucki Springs (?), went about a quarter mile and decided it was too shaded. Most of the trails were good except for the sections of deep canyons. Couldn't beat the 65 degree weather.

#12 ·
DRIDE said:
Ok, guys. Last week's plans didn't pan out. Really coming down this time. Assuming the conditions are even better than last week since you've had some dry weather..

Planning on gooseberry (north/south rim) on Sat, Zen/Bearclaw on Sun. Am I good to go?
Yeppers!

I'll be up on the Goose myself...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.