mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Tour de Capital Reef

Anyone ridden any tours in Capital Reef? My ‘spring break’ is coming up soon and my wife and I want to head south. We are looking at ride # 4 on this page http://www.nps.gov/care/planyourvisit/biketours.htm .

I am wondering if anyone here knows the conditions of the Burr Trail and Bullfrog Road. Pretty much, how off-road is off road? We will take out tandem, loaded, with 700c rims/cyclo cross tires. Just trying to get ideas. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    When do you want to go? I was down there in May of last year and the road was pretty good and would be fine for a tandem I think... It is a mix of dirt and paved, mostly dirt and can be a little rough but I have driven it in a 2WD '77 Ford Van camper with no issues what so ever... This issue of course is moisture... There is a funky gas station / pizza place / natural foods store / hippie mecca in Boulder just on the west end of the Burr Trail.. Or the Boulder Outdoor Survival School I bet you could Google/ White pages them and see if anyone has input on the road conditions out there... It is a mix of snow and moisture, with 700c tandem tires it is a good question...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Thanks for the input. I wanted to head down in two weeks-ish (March 10), but that is the hold back, the moisture. I may have to postpone this trip until it dries out. But if it is packed, I think the 700 c would hold up fine.