Thread: Tires for PCP2P

mtbr member

Tires for PCP2P

Hi All,

I'm traveling out for the PCP2P this fall and was wondering about the rockiness/roughness of the trails and if Sworks tubeless Fasttracks will survive, or if I need something more reliable?

I've heard never had a problem with them personally, but I've heard the sidewalls can get pierced in rough conditions. Where I typically ride it's pretty smooth.

Appreciate any comments.

Regards,
    Vb

Chumley for prez!
    Oh, I have been waiting all spring for a question like this! Three words: Stan's the Crow.

On a serious note...the trails for the PCP2P are pretty buff. Just good flowy singletrack. I'm assuming you are running them tubeless? Some of it will depend on how aggressively you descend and how husky you are. If you are neither of those things, I'd guess you'd probably be fine with those tires. I'm not familiar with that particular tire, but since it's a tubeless version it should have a slightly burlier sidewall than it's non-tubeless counterpart?

Swimming thru the Smog
    Apr 2011
    specialized tubeless sidewalls are about as thin as a condom. I tore 2 of their lighter weight versions of sidewall (I think they were the sworks) in one week while using it in the rear. If you do use specialized tires use the control rubber. I have been using a purgatory control and it has been fine for about 3 months.

mtbr member
    While at Rome, where do you ride?

Swimming thru the Smog
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by VerkerBee View Post
    While at Rome, where do you ride?
    I tore one in SLC on the BST (no idea how it happened) and and 2 more in sedona in about 12 days. All Sworks tires, a purgatory, an eskar, and an enduro tire.

Im no XC guy by any means. I pedal a 30+ lb bike up the hills with 2.3s. Just sharing my .02.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Light and fast are king

The Trails for the P2P are pretty smooth for the most part. I rode the race with an sworks fast track in the rear and an sworks captain up front and really like the combo. There are rocky sections where its possible to tear a sidewall however. If you are racing the course I think the lighter tires are worth the risk of flatting because you can feel the difference on the climbs and there is plenty of that. If you are just riding wth a goal to finish the control version of the tires will almost certainly get you through flat free. I have ridden entire seasons on captain controls in the park city area without a flat.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'm going to be riding Maxxis Ardents 29x2.4s, but I am definitely not out to win the race, just have a good time. They're mounted to my Niner WFO, so by no means a light rig, but it is a bike that can handle it all (and then some), and will probably having me challenge for the Red Lantern.

Chumley for prez!
    Quote Originally Posted by BullSCit View Post
    I'm going to be riding Maxxis Ardents 29x2.4s... They're mounted to my Niner WFO, so by no means a light rig, but it is a bike that can handle it all (and then some)
    I like your style...there is little chance that your "man-card" is going to get pulled with that setup.