mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Tire Suggestion for Gooseberry, JEM, Bearclaw

Hey All!

So psyched that I have less than 3 weeks before my trip out to Utah!!

I live in NJ and trying to work out the final details of what to bring and I am curious what tire suggestions you all may have as well as the tire choices I have sitting in my basement.

The bike that I am bringing is a Titus Eleven (a geared, 26" wheeled hardtail) and the current tires mounted are 2.24 Motoraptors which are a great all-round tire for riding in NJ- rocky, rooty, smooth singletrack and sandy singletrack.

In the basement are the following:

Specialized Fast Track 2.0 Armedillo Elite
    Speciaized Adrenaline 2.1 (more like a 2.3)
    WTB Mutanoraptors 2.24

Any thoughts or suggestions?
    I guarantee I will never, ever be accused of bringing sexy back...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I use fast tracks

and love them. The trails in SG have pretty good traction for the most part so fast tires work well in my opinion. I think whatever tire you bring will have a blast. Some of the best riding in the nation is just a few weeks away for you.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    IMO of the tires you own the WTB's will work the best.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    I would run the fattest tires you have. The desert is bumpy and slippery.

JMH

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Running fat is typically the best. Should you find yourself needing a bike shop, I've been somewhat fond of desert cyclery (just north of Sunset + Bluff St.) in St. George. Okay, so I'm a little biased in that I lived next door to the shop owner for a short period of timeů

Regardless, enjoy the desert! St. George does have some fantastic terrain.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I drive by JEM and Gooseberry everyday on my way to work, so those are the trails that I ride, I run WTB weirwolf 2.5's on my cannondale prophet, and they're pretty much the best tires that I've used, goes through the sand great and has tons of traction.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    It's not the tires or even the bike...it's the rider. You will love riding in the St George area. If you don't know the area very well, you might check out mountainbikebuddies.com.

RHRF!

Kenda Small Block 8's...

Quote Originally Posted by Molasses
    Hey All!

So psyched that I have less than 3 weeks before my trip out to Utah!!

I live in NJ and trying to work out the final details of what to bring and I am curious what tire suggestions you all may have as well as the tire choices I have sitting in my basement.

The bike that I am bringing is a Titus Eleven (a geared, 26" wheeled hardtail) and the current tires mounted are 2.24 Motoraptors which are a great all-round tire for riding in NJ- rocky, rooty, smooth singletrack and sandy singletrack.

In the basement are the following:

Specialized Fast Track 2.0 Armedillo Elite
    Speciaized Adrenaline 2.1 (more like a 2.3)
    WTB Mutanoraptors 2.24

Any thoughts or suggestions?
    I would recommend Kenda SB 8's (2.35)... they hook-up like Velcro on the 'Goose' and they are relatively light for a 2.35. We rode them on those same trails in March and had a blast - 2007 Gooseberry Trip
    "The secret of joy is the mastery of pain." (Anaïs Nin)