mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Cool-blue Rhythm Thunder mt, red canyon trails, Bryce dry??

Does anyone know if the trails around Bryce canyon, thunder mt are dry enough for riding?

I'd rather be biking...
    yup. good to go

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Sweet!!!!

rpalmer
    Aug 2008
    What about Virgin River Rim? I know that's a bit higher up there and more likely to be muddy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    There's snow still there. It's not much lower than brianhead ski resort which only closed a couple of weeks ago
    www.24hrBikeShop.com 10% of your purchase price is donated to the trail organization of your choice!

I'd rather be biking...
    VRRT hovers around 9000 feet. Its drying out but I'd imagine some good drifts sticking around and shady areas still deep.

http://commuterlink.utah.gov/1_devices/aux15625.jpeg

The lake loop around navajo could be close but I don't know the actual current conditions up there.

Also to note SR-14 is closed near the bottom so getting to Woods Ranch might be troublesome until it opens in june or so.
    Last edited by shelbster15; 04-23-2012 at 06:46 PM.

rpalmer
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by shelbster15 View Post
    VRRT hovers around 9000 feet. Its drying out but I'd imagine some good drifts sticking around and shady areas still deep.

http://commuterlink.utah.gov/1_devices/aux15625.jpeg

The lake loop around navajo could be close but I don't know the actual current conditions up there.

Also to note SR-14 is closed near the bottom so getting to Woods Ranch might be troublesome until it opens in june or so.
    Thanks for the info. I've never been up there but I've had it on my list for a while. I was thinking I might cross it off while I'm down there in a couple of weeks but it sounds unlikely.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    When does Rainbow Rim typically open up?

BTW - Thunder MTN yesterday was ok but needs more wheels on it (horse damage..)
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I've ridden the rainbow rim. Great trail. Check with ranger station at the north entrance to the grand cyn.
    www.24hrBikeShop.com 10% of your purchase price is donated to the trail organization of your choice!

rpalmer
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovemtnbiking View Post
    I've ridden the rainbow rim. Great trail. Check with ranger station at the north entrance to the grand cyn.
    Rainbow Rim? I've never heard of it in 12 years riding all over the state. Where can I get some details? I'm always looking for a new ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rpalmer View Post
    Thanks for the info. I've never been up there but I've had it on my list for a while. I was thinking I might cross it off while I'm down there in a couple of weeks but it sounds unlikely.
    Hey rpalmer, it looks like I know what I'm talking about. On another note, i had to ride all over the ruts you created in corner canyon the other week when you rode trails when they were wet just to spite my advice to wait until they dry out. Way to go
    Last edited by ilovemtnbiking; 04-26-2012 at 06:12 PM.

NMBP
    Rainbow Rim? I've never heard of it in 12 years riding all over the state. Where can I get some details? I'm always looking for a new ride.
    It's along the north rim of the Grand Canyon, so not in Utah.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ok ride, we did it both ways in one day. One of the best places I've camped for sure. Pretty windy though.

Grand Canyon
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Thunder Mtn/Brian Head update

Just got back from Thunder Mtn/Brian Head. Wasn't able to ride Thunder but ran the trails and spoke to a group who had just ridden it. No snow. Went up to Briand head. 6 inches to a foot of snow along the road. Spoke to forest service about Virgin River Rim Trail. They said that as of last week the Navajo Lake road still had a bluff of impassable snow so the trail still has some time needed to dry out

Lone Wolf McQuade
    Subscribed....hoping the BH and Navajo Lake ares will be ready to ride soon

Matt
    I should be out riding....

rpalmer
    Aug 2008
    I rode Cassidy/Losee Canyon on Friday and Thunder Mountain on Saturday, followed by a little side trip up to Fairyland Point near the entrance to Bryce Canyon and did not encounter the slightest trace of snow or moisture (except in Losee Canyon -- some of those splashdowns were pretty sweet). If there was snow there a week ago, it is drying out FAST.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Which way is Thunder typically ridden to maximize dh fun

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanchez View Post
    Which way is Thunder typically ridden to maximize dh fun
    Down.

Heh.

Start riding up the canyon (East towards Bryce) on the bike path next to the highway. When you come out on the plateau (25 minutes?), turn right on the major dirt road and follow to the trailhead (15 minutes?). The trail rolls up and down for a while, some of the climbs are a bit hurty, but you eventually start heading down.

It's not a long ride, not a technical ride. But it's an awesome ride.

rpalmer
    Aug 2008
    If you ride it as a loop, park right at the bottom of Red Canyon on Highway 12 and follow the bike path all the way to the top of the canyon (a little over 5 miles if my Cateye is anywhere near accurate). There will be a dirt road with a parking area and facilities taking off to your right at the top of the plateau. Follow the dirt road a little over 2 miles to the trailhead, which is at the end of the road. Some people get confused at the campground, and some signage along the road. Go all the way to the very end of the road. You can't miss the trailhead. From there its pretty straightforward back to your car. The front end of the trail is up-and-down with some fairly steep parts and one very steep part that newbies and most mortals walk (I cleaned it once, but now I don't have anything to prove anymore and am ok with walking it). The back end, starting around White Point, is where the really good stuff starts. Its almost all downhill from there and the trail features stuff you won't see anywhere else in the world. Total mileage for the loop is 15.5 miles. Strong riders can do the whole loop in a couple of hours. I was with a newbie when I rode last Saturday and we took a ilttle over 3 hours. If you take a noob with you make sure he/she has some stamina because those climbs toward the end start to get a little less fun if you aren't in fairly decent shape.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Is the trail worth doing as a shuttle? And if so, is it easy to find people up there to hitch rides with? Some buddies and I are thinking of heading up on Saturday from Las Vegas and would like to maximize our time so that we are not biking up the paved trail. Also, we may try and hit up some other trails on the way back to Vegas. Thoughts?

rpalmer
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bcall8 View Post
    Is the trail worth doing as a shuttle? And if so, is it easy to find people up there to hitch rides with? Some buddies and I are thinking of heading up on Saturday from Las Vegas and would like to maximize our time so that we are not biking up the paved trail. Also, we may try and hit up some other trails on the way back to Vegas. Thoughts?
    Unless you're taking your time you shouldn't spend more than 30-40 minutes on that climb. I have never shuttled it because by my math you'd spend more time arranging and executing the shuttle than you would spend just riding the paved path. Its a pleasant enough ride up Red Canyon anyway, you won't hate it like most pavement rides.

I really enjoyed the Cassidy/Losee Canyon Loop in Red Canyon. Its a pretty quick ride, took me about 1.5 hours, but fairly mellow. Skip it if you're looking for downhill thrills. If it isn't too hot in the Hurricane area (read: on fire!) then Gooseberry Mesa and Little Creek are absolutely epic rides. I prefer Little Creek but it takes some prep to ride up there because the trails aren't very well marked. Both of those are significant time commitments though. JEM Trail is a simple, fun out-and-back in the area, but I think that area is pretty close to those fires that have been burning down there. There is some fun riding right in St George. Zen, Barrel, Bearclaw Poppy, and Stucki Springs are all worth the stop on the route between Vegas and Thunder Mountain. I can break those down better for you if you want, or if you can describe the kind of rides you are looking to do.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Awesome thanks...if its only 30 min then we'll just pedal it. I think that we were thinking of Gooseberry....i hadnt heard about the fires......maybe C trail or barrell roll. We have been to JEM, Zen and Barrell ride plenty. Theme of the trip is new trails so we will have to see what we do. Thanks for the input

rpalmer
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bcall8 View Post
    Awesome thanks...if its only 30 min then we'll just pedal it. I think that we were thinking of Gooseberry....i hadnt heard about the fires......maybe C trail or barrell roll. We have been to JEM, Zen and Barrell ride plenty. Theme of the trip is new trails so we will have to see what we do. Thanks for the input
    I live in Salt Lake, so the info I'm getting is from the news. I know there are some locals who get on here all the time, maybe one of them could update us on the fires or you could find the info in another thread. There's a highway that runs between Gooseberry and Little Creek mesas, through Apple Valley, and I understand the fire was somewhere along the highway and they closed it down at one point because the smoke was so bad, and that is the route up to both trails. I heard last night that they had nearly gotten it contained so you are probably ok. You should check out Gooseberry unless it is hot. If its hot I wouldn't do it. Being from Vegas you might have a different definition of hot from me, but if its much hotter than 85 degrees I wouldn't go up there. It feels way hotter than it really is on slickrock.

I hope you have a great trip! The trails should be in good shape. Good luck.

Lone Wolf McQuade
    Bcall8-

Maybe ride it the first loop and then shuttle it for a second time if you're not feelin' it.

Matt

I should be out riding....

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thunder mtn locals....heading up to the area tonight and forcast looks like storms will be in the area, please post if we should avoid the trails....thanks