mtbr member

Thunder Mountain Trail- still open?

I can't remember if Thunder Mtn is on National Park land.

So much for enjoying Zion on next week's vacation. With the park closed I don't even know if it's worth staging out of Springdale. I could spend days riding the mesas but my better half will likely be disappointed since she is an intermediate rider. We'll likely still do some riding on Gooseberry, maybe even Magic Carpet over on Little Creek Trails.

Any other couple friendly trail friendly recommendations (south or SW Utah) would be appreciated.
    AKA: G-wat

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    No it's not inside the National Park, so it should be open.
    Mountain bike aren't allowed on trails in a NP anyway...

Have a look to Bear Claw Poppy / Stucki near St George. A lot of trails in this area, not far from Gooseberry.

JGL
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bugaroo View Post

So much for enjoying Zion on next week's vacation. With the park closed I don't even know if it's worth staging out of Springdale. I could spend days riding the mesas but my better half will likely be disappointed since she is an intermediate rider. We'll likely still do some riding on Gooseberry, maybe even Magic Carpet over on Little Creek Trails.

Any other couple friendly trail friendly recommendations (south or SW Utah) would be appreciated.
    It's been a few years since I've been there, but go a little farther north above Cedar City and ride the Virgin River Rim. Navajo Lake is a great section...beautiful scenery, not too technical, I think 14-16 mi loop around the lake and adjacent rim peaks is possible. Your S.O. can ride the tougher sections slowly and be fine, or you can slow down and still have tons of fun. High elevation though -- 8K+.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabone33 View Post
    It's been a few years since I've been there, but go a little farther north above Cedar City and ride the Virgin River Rim. Navajo Lake is a great section...beautiful scenery, not too technical, I think 14-16 mi loop around the lake and adjacent rim peaks is possible. Your S.O. can ride the tougher sections slowly and be fine, or you can slow down and still have tons of fun. High elevation though -- 8K+.
    Close, 11 miles around the Navajo Lake, and the lake is 9000'+ in elevation. There are currently about 10 or 12 trees across the trail on the south side. It's not too likely the USFS will get them cut this fall.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bugaroo View Post

Excluding the Flying Monkey and Grafton Mesa Downhill....every trail in Washington County is able to be ridden by a solid intermediate. Might walk a section of two (100 feet....) here and there but most certainly enjoyable for an Intermediate.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtestdummy View Post
    Close, 11 miles around the Navajo Lake, and the lake is 9000'+ in elevation. There are currently about 10 or 12 trees across the trail on the south side. It's not too likely the USFS will get them cut this fall.
    That sounds about right...I was coming from Vegas at the time, so the elevation probably magnified the distance a bit. I live above 7K in New Mexico now, so stuff like that doesn't bother me any more. I also used to ride up toward Strawberry-something or-other, and cut back on a social trail, so that may have added to the distance a bit. I remember the beetle kill was pretty bad even in 2003-2005 time frame...I imagine most of those trees have fallen now.

Great trail, though...especially at the views off the rim.