mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Thunder Mountain Trail near Bryce Canyon ?

I would like to ride Thunder Mountain Trail sometime around April 1st. Utahmountainbiking.com says the season typically begins mid-April and I was curious if this trail might be able to go a little earlier than usual this year. Thanks for any trail conditions/info!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Honestly, I rode Thunder Mountain last October, and in my opinion it's fun, but not worth driving there only for that.

The part where you ride in the kind of Bryce Canyon's landscape is relatively short compared to the road drive to complete the loop. It's not bad, but I was very disappointed.... I was maybe expecting to much.

After riding Thunder Mountain, I crossed the road to try Cassidy-Loose Loop, and it was better than Thunder Mountain.

just my 2 cents
    Last edited by foxone; 03-19-2013 at 03:59 PM. Reason: typo

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks Foxone. I will have to ride Cassidy-Losee too! I am not driving down just to ride Thunder Mountain. It will be on my way as I drive from St. George to Moab and I thought it would be a great trail to break up the drive.

Still hoping someone can fill me in on likely trail condition for around April 1st-ish ?

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Well, seeing as anything could happen in two weeks...wait and see, grasshopper!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Ah, the unfailing "wait and see". Works every time! However, if it is currently under 4 feet of snow I can be fairly certain it won't be riding and change my plans now. If I know there is little/no snow right now then I can hope for dry weather over the next week or so and have a significant chance of riding. Not sure how the past 4 months have played out there, as far as precipitation goes. I figure this would be a great place to find some insight? If not, I will wait and see

mtbr member
    Snowpack is 16" (8900') and 29" (9500') at the two closest snotel sites. UT Observed Weather Map

Top of Thunder is 8200'. April 1st might be overly optimistic but if you're going that way anyway check it out. Perhaps just do an out and back from the bottom TH. Turnaround when the tread gets too greasy.

mtbr member
    I've seen Cassidy/Losee a muddy mess and had to turn back still in late May-not a lot of sun exposure and had the streams to contend with. Although it was a slightly colder spring too. Not sure what it's been like down there so far this year. The next day I went to Thunder and it was dry since it's up out of the washes and more exposed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Anyone know the current condition of thunder mountain? Friend is going through in the next couple of days.

Snow? Trashed by horses?

Thanks!
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodiegrrl View Post
    Anyone know the current condition of thunder mountain? Friend is going through in the next couple of days.

Snow? Trashed by horses?

Thanks!
    Snow should be gone, no idea about the horses. We are suppose to get near record heat in Utah this next week.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I didn't ride it, but talked to a guy who rode it last week. He said the trail was clear and the horses hadn't beaten it to talcum powder yet. Better hurry though, that won't last long.

Should be great weather up there; it will probably hit 100 or close to it this week here in Hurricane / St. George. I don't love riding in the heat, but it does mean the crowds will be gone and I'll have the mesas back to myself.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the info!
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Rode it last Saturday. It's good to go.