Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Thunder Mountain for novice

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  kustomz 
#1 ·
I'm going to Bryce Canyon for a few days next week and I'll have time to ride on one or two trails. I really want to ride Thunder Mountain, but I first wanted to hear some opinions on whether or not it's okay for a novice to ride it.

I'm going with my brother who's also a novice mountain biker, but an experienced street rider (he doesn't have a car, just rides his bike.)

I'm in good shape and I run a lot and I've been biking recently on the weekends.

If we get on the trail and some of switchbacks or uphills seem too difficult, I would think we'd just get off the bikes and walk through those sections if we felt we wouldn't be able to handle it. Is it naive of me to think that we can do that? Would we be getting in the way of other bikers?

I've been reading a lot reviews about the trail, but none of them have given me a good sense for whether or not it would be something a cautious novice could handle.

#2 ·
You'll be fine. That trail doesn't get much traffic, and you can easily walk any of the switchbacks/climbs if you feel like it. In fact, you'll probably end up going slow & stopping often to enjoy the views anyway:).

There's just a short narrow section across a ridge that's probably easier to ride that walk, but it's pretty mellow.

#7 ·
Thanks kustomz!

Do you know of any shuttle services in the area that would pick us up at the Thunder Mountain trailhead and drive us to the Freemont Trail to start?
There is a Bike and ATV rental place about a mile or so east of the Coyote Canyon (Thunder Mountain) trail entrance. I am sure they would offer the service? The economy is absolutely killing these places. Also check around the Ruby's Inn or Panguich area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.