mtbr member

Are there any beginner/intermediate trails on the West side of the Salt Lake Valley?

I'll be in West Jordan visiting my daughter next weekend and want to do a ride with my 13 year-old fairly close to there. She lives way out by the Magna highway so you can see hills just across the road but I don't know anything about what legal trails may be out there. Utahmountainbiking doesn't seem to list any.

Anyone know?
    Last edited by KRob; 04-24-2012 at 09:55 AM.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    I'll be in West Jordan visiting my daughter next weekend and want to do a ride with my 13 year-old fairly close to there. She lives way out by the Magna highway so you can see hills just across the road but I don't know anything about what legal trails may be out there. Utahmountainbiking doesn't seem to list any.

Anyone know?
    K- There's a ride listed in the Gregg Bromka book Mountain Biking Utah at the top of Butterfield Canyon that rides mostly doubletrack to a Kennecott Copper Mine overlook. Sounds kinda lame, but he does rave about the 1 mile of singletrack that is part of the route.

I know it's not close by, but Glenwild up near Park City is melted out... great trails and fun for beginners!

JMH

TSC
    Buehliever

Anyone know?
    There's Yellow Fork in the same area as Butterfield. It's the only one in the area that I found. Yellow Fork

If you hit up LCC and find the stunts (2 sets of renegade stuff), let me know what you think.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    K- There's a ride listed in the Gregg Bromka book Mountain Biking Utah at the top of Butterfield Canyon that rides mostly doubletrack to a Kennecott Copper Mine overlook. Sounds kinda lame, but he does rave about the 1 mile of singletrack that is part of the route.

I know it's not close by, but Glenwild up near Park City is melted out... great trails and fun for beginners!

JMH
    Thanks J, Is the Pipeline trail open? Seems like that would be a good beginner trail too though a bit more out of the way. What about the trails near the Draper portion of the BSL like Corner Canyon? She lives fairly far south (90th) so a jaunt across the south valley on Bangerter HWY wouldn't take too long.

I may be free for a "grown up" ride later in the day if you're available.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TSC View Post
    There's Yellow Fork in the same area as Butterfield. It's the only one in the area that I found. Yellow Fork
    That looks like a possibility. Maybe the "Family" option up the gravel road then back down the singletrack would be the ticket. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Corner canyon is all dried out (for now) and like you said is a quick drive down bangerter highway. There is a new bike park at the draper equestrian center/ ballpark trailhead you guys could play on too.

mtbr member
    Corner Canyon and Pipeline are in good shape right now. FWIW, in W. Jordan you aren't too far from Mountain Ranch bike park (in Eagle Mountain, west side of Utah lake), either -- I'm in S. Jordan, and it is just a 20 minute shot down Redwood. Plenty of beginner stuff there on the Juniper (the obstacles all have ride-arounds) and 110 trails, which are quick loops (I've taken my younger cousins there who don't ride and they had fun), and the skills area, pump track, jump lines are fun to play around on too.

There is rain in the forecast tomorrow and maybe Friday, who knows what that will do to the trails (CC seems to get muddy pretty fast and dries kinda slow).
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty JP View Post
    Corner canyon is all dried out (for now) and like you said is a quick drive down bangerter highway. There is a new bike park at the draper equestrian center/ ballpark trailhead you guys could play on too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post
    Corner Canyon and Pipeline are in good shape right now. FWIW, in W. Jordan you aren't too far from Mountain Ranch bike park (in Eagle Mountain, west side of Utah lake), either -- I'm in S. Jordan, and it is just a 20 minute shot down Redwood. Plenty of beginner stuff there on the Juniper (the obstacles all have ride-arounds) and 110 trails, which are quick loops (I've taken my younger cousins there who don't ride and they had fun), and the skills area, pump track, jump lines are fun to play around on too.

There is rain in the forecast tomorrow and maybe Friday, who knows what that will do to the trails (CC seems to get muddy pretty fast and dries kinda slow).
    Both these suggestions sound like great options. Thanks.

I checked out the Mountain Ranch Bike Park website and it sounds like fun. Seems like that area would dry out faster (and even benefit) from the rain tomorrow.

I wonder which one is closer (timewise) to where I'll be (64th W 90th South in West Jordan)?

If we do Pipline, what's the best 5-10 mile route option for a beginner ride? Start at Elbow fork then down the Pipeline to Burch Hollow then back up the road to the car? Or would out and back on the single track be better. Or something else?

I worry a bit about trails with lots of traffic. He's not really good about paying attention to what's ahead or oncoming traffic and not really skilled in dealing with sudden/panic situations yet.
    Last edited by KRob; 04-25-2012 at 09:39 AM.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    I worry a bit about trails with lots of traffic. He's not really good about paying attention to what's ahead or oncoming traffic and not really skilled in dealing with sudden/panic situations yet.
    Sounds like MOST people on Pipeline! Just avoid the dorking hour (11am or later) and you should have a great time.

You won't be able to drive up to Elbow fork yet. The gate is just a few hundred yards up the road from Burch Hollow. So you can park, ride up the road, ride back down the trail from Elbow. Probably a solid loop for a grom.

Phone me if you want to ride later that day. Wife will have my car in Frootah so you'll have to pick me up, but I am on the way to PC.

JMH

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Corner canyon is about 20 minutes closer to you than the Eagle Mountain park. For your purposes I would recommend starting at the new Potato Hill trailhead off of Traverse Ridge Road in Draper. The new (last year) Ann's trail is very begginer friendly but is a fun trail for all. It is wide enough for passing, has very few blind corners, and is a moderate grade most of the way. Ride this to the top of clarks and either do an out and back, or if your son has gained confidence to do so, you could make a loop with clarks, ghost falls, or canyon hollow. There are nice views of the valley and after the ride you could stop by the equestrian center and check out the bike park. Check utahmountainbiking for directions and trail descriptions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty JP View Post
    Corner canyon is about 20 minutes closer to you than the Eagle Mountain park. For your purposes I would recommend starting at the new Potato Hill trailhead off of Traverse Ridge Road in Draper. The new (last year) Ann's trail is very begginer friendly but is a fun trail for all. It is wide enough for passing, has very few blind corners, and is a moderate grade most of the way. Ride this to the top of clarks and either do an out and back, or if your son has gained confidence to do so, you could make a loop with clarks, ghost falls, or canyon hollow. There are nice views of the valley and after the ride you could stop by the equestrian center and check out the bike park. Check utahmountainbiking for directions and trail descriptions.
    Thanks Scotty. Sounds like that may be just the ticket (weather/mud permitting).
    The suggested loop on utahmountainbiking.com for the beginner is starting at Potato Hill TH, down Potato hill to BST then up Clark's to Ann's then back to the Potato Hil TH for about a 5 mile loop.

I might try the whole Ann's/Draper rim loop as suggested which is 10.1 miles if he's feeling spunky. Or do the East mini loop first then if he's feeling ok add the West loop of Ann's.

Thanks man.

mtbr member
    Sounds like MOST people on Pipeline! Just avoid the dorking hour (11am or later) and you should have a great time.
    LOL. So true. Just trying to help my son not be "that" guy.

Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    Phone me if you want to ride later that day. Wife will have my car in Frootah so you'll have to pick me up, but I am on the way to PC.

JMH

Wait....What? Wife in Fruita? Does not compute. How did you miss out on that trip?

I'll check with my chief scheduler and see if I can sneek in a big boy ride later on Saturday. No problem picking you up if we can make it work.
    Last edited by KRob; 04-27-2012 at 09:12 PM.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    LOL. So true. Just trying to help my son not me "that" guy.

Wait....What? Wife in Fruita? Does not compute. How did you miss out on that trip?

I'll check with my chief scheduler and see if I can sneek in a big boy ride later on Saturday. No problem picking you up if we can make it work.
    Well ONE of us has to work. Wait. Which one is working?

Keep me posted. PM me if you don't have my phone.

J

mtbr member
    Well ONE of us has to work. Wait. Which one is working?

Keep me posted. PM me if you don't have my phone.

J
    Is it raining/snowing there. Weather was calling for snow showers in Park City this morning.

Looks nice (but cold) for tomorrow. Were the trails dry enough that a little rain or snow won't ruin them?

I think I still have your cellphone #

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Let's play it by ear. It's been dry and hot so the trails shouldn't be too bad, but since the temps are staying low it might take a couple of days.

mtbr member
    Krob, if you're planning to ride this weekend, check out this message that was posted by Bruce on Utahmountainbiking.com re: Corner Canyon.

Received from the official source by email, just passing it on.
    For weekend of April 28-29:
    The south side Corner Canyon trails ( Ann's, Clarks, Canyon Hollow, Ghost Falls, Rush, and part of the BST) will be closed this weekend. The Upper Corner Canyon Road will be open to the East Bench TH. I will reassess the conditions monday. The area received substantial rain Thursday night and I dont anticipate rapid drying. Please pass this on to whoever may need it. Greg

Just an FYI if you're planning to ride CC this weekend.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

Chumley for prez!
    Is it raining/snowing there. Weather was calling for snow showers in Park City this morning.

Looks nice (but cold) for tomorrow. Were the trails dry enough that a little rain or snow won't ruin them?

I think I still have your cellphone #
    Glenwild was bone dry before this and I doubt this little shower would ruin them. I'd shoot for later tomorrow and you should be ok.