Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Sun Devils
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    299

    Technical Trail Suggestions near SLC, still rideable?

    I know it's pretty late in the season, but I'm heading 'home' to SLC for Christmas break from Boston. Is there anything still rideable this time of year anywhere close to Salt Lake county? I've heard it's been fairly snowy already, so if I can't get a spin outside I'll probably just head up skiing, but I thought it'd be fun to ride once if possible. The trails have been in great shape out here, the ground is finally starting to freeze up and with a nice dry stretch I've actually been riding more now than I was in the heat of the summer.

    I've heard about the Draper DH run that looks pretty fun and on a past trip I rode the bobsled trail near the capital, that was good stuff as well. Are either of those still good to ride? Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I never rode before I moved out of SLC, oddly enough, so I don't know much of anything for riding.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,918

    No.

    None of the big slc trails are open. No Bobsled, No Draper DH. Moab or St george are probably the best options
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

    http://www.vrbo.com/392904

    PM me

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    357
    I think the only hope for anything kind of similar would be out in eagle mountain, even then I think its not very likely. Google it, you will find directions
    Want a one of a kind bike? Message me for a one of a kind paint job.

    The internet is a tough place to ride

  4. #4
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,142

    Nope.

    But from what I saw last week, if there is snowing falling from the sky, it's ok to ride your fatbike, even if the trails are all mud...

    Seriously, go ski. Everything is slush or mud and we're supposed to get at least 4 or 5 more inches in the next day or two.

    -Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

  5. #5
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,003
    Eagle Mountain (The Mountain Ranch Bike Park) is out. Nasty mud and not worth it.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

    http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

  6. #6
    Sun Devils
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    299
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    But from what I saw last week, if there is snowing falling from the sky, it's ok to ride your fatbike, even if the trails are all mud...

    Seriously, go ski. Everything is slush or mud and we're supposed to get at least 4 or 5 more inches in the next day or two.

    -Walt
    I like your mindset Walt, I ride year round- rain, snow or shine... I guess in Boston were spoiled becuase you can always find dirt near the cape thanks to the ocean's warming effect. The terrain is also very rocky so mud isn't a huge issue around here, although it can be sloppy at certain spots in the spring. I was hoping maybe Salt Lake had frozen ground by now that might be rideable.

    I'll take your advice on skiing and try to get 1 or 2 days in Southern Utah or Las Vegas to sneak a few rides in.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    142
    you can ride in Bountiful up by the B and over to Farmington canyon along the single track/fire road that is on the hill side. Rode it yesterday and there is little to no snow and it is sandy soil so it doesn't get muddy. Great place to ride in the winter time.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,918

    Pedal Vs Technical DH trail

    If you are not afraid of the cold you can get out early when the ground is frozen and ride quite a few trails. Its certainly possible to pedal a few miles on dirt, just not the techy fun dh runs you were looking for. If you have the gear to ride in sub 30 degree weather you can get in some pedal time. We don't have alot of snow on the ground right now but that could change anytime.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

    http://www.vrbo.com/392904

    PM me

  9. #9
    Sun Devils
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    299

    Good job!

    Quote Originally Posted by ssuperlight View Post
    you can ride in Bountiful up by the B and over to Farmington canyon along the single track/fire road that is on the hill side. Rode it yesterday and there is little to no snow and it is sandy soil so it doesn't get muddy. Great place to ride in the winter time.
    Thanks SSL. I'll check that out assuming the weather works with me for the next 7 days or so.

  10. #10
    Sun Devils
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    299
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway View Post
    If you are not afraid of the cold you can get out early when the ground is frozen and ride quite a few trails. Its certainly possible to pedal a few miles on dirt, just not the techy fun dh runs you were looking for. If you have the gear to ride in sub 30 degree weather you can get in some pedal time. We don't have alot of snow on the ground right now but that could change anytime.
    I ride year round in Boston, not exactly a warm weather climate... so yeah, I've got plenty of cold weather clothes.

    Do you have any suggestions for trails that may work or should definetly be avoided? I heard loud and clear that bobsled is definetly out, that's fine. And if it's nothing overly tech no problem either, sometimes just getting out for a spin in these months is a gift. No problem getting up early, my usual weekend ride time here is 5am Utah time.

  11. #11
    Swimming thru the Smog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    305
    If your in SLC in the winter and dont ski, that is fail. Its like being in whistler during the summer and not riding.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,918

    Skis

    You know the worst part about skiing???









    Having to tell your family that your gay.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

    http://www.vrbo.com/392904

    PM me

  13. #13
    Swimming thru the Smog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    305
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway View Post
    You know the worst part about skiing???

    Having to tell your family that your gay.


    Whats the worst part about shaving your legs?

    NOT having to tell anyone your gay.

  14. #14
    Sun Devils
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    299
    Quote Originally Posted by While At Rome View Post
    If your in SLC in the winter and dont ski, that is fail. Its like being in whistler during the summer and not riding.
    Meanwhile at Rome's house the Playstation hasn't been shut off in months..

  15. #15
    Picture Unrelated
    Reputation: zebrahum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,029
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway View Post
    You know the worst part about skiing???









    Having to tell your family that your gay.
    Your gay what? At least finish your stupid sentences when you start them.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    251
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Everything is slush or mud and we're supposed to get at least 4 or 5 more inches in the next day or two.
    Rode shoreline last night with a group and it was lovely. Mixed group of fat bikes and non. Fat had more control going down dry creek, but all in all it was good riding for either bike.

    No wet/muddy spots as it was 28

    g

  17. #17
    Sun Devils
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    299
    Quote Originally Posted by gregclimbs View Post
    Rode shoreline last night with a group and it was lovely. Mixed group of fat bikes and non. Fat had more control going down dry creek, but all in all it was good riding for either bike.

    No wet/muddy spots as it was 28

    g
    Looks like the snow on Monday might mess that up. 37 for the high as well, guess we'll see what happens.

  18. #18
    Dr. Pepper drinker
    Reputation: catch22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,509
    You may want to give Stansbury Island a good look. It tends to stay drier and much more rideable this time of year and it's got some moderate technical spots most the length of the trail and some pretty advanced technical moves out near the final overlook where the trail ends. Once you make the slog up to the bench from the parking area it rides really similar to some of the Fruita trails (Mary's Loop in particular). I haven't heard any reports of how it's fairing with the recent weather but if anything is good, it will be. It's a good 45-60 min drive out there from SLC so you probably want to know before you go. Anyone know of a shop in Toole or Grantsville that might have more info?
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •