MTBR member
    Jan 2007

Tale of D**chebaggery & Ogden Night Ride Invite

All I have to say is wow! I'm riding the Ogden BST after work and this guy (wearing a Skyline Cyclery kit) shouts at me from behind to move; he scared the !$?# out of me. I was not wearing headphones. I let him by and decide to ride behind him for a bit, being he's not as fast as he thinks he is. The guy starts yelling around every corner, and slowed down for no one. He plowed through other bikes and all of the hikers. I stopped following him. The guy ran a 7 year old kid off the trail; he yelled that he had the right-of-way. I spoke with the kid's dad, and he was pissed. Guys like this give all MTBers a bad name.

Which brings me to my second point. I plan on doing more night riding (Ogden BST is like I-15). It's cooler and there aren't a$$hats out on the trail. You can go all out too. If anyone is up for regular Ogden night rides and less d**chebaggery, let me know! I am a medium-fast rider.

mtbr member
    I think I've seen that guy and run into him a couple times. If it's who I think it is, he claims his name is "Cody Balls" and he's an ass. If you see him again and if it's possible, please call him out. I will do the same. That type of behavior is unhealthy for the overall image of mtn bikers, especially on that trail. I always make sure I am overly nice and polite, giving hikers the right of way and thanking them to no end when they step aside to let me by. I have one of those little incredibells on my handlebars and it's a nice way of letting folks know you're coming. And, like you said, if it's who I think it is he isn't very fast!

Mtn Biker Machinist
    It's too bad he's sporting a Skyline kit, cuz I have been nothing but impressed with those guys. Hope this dude doesn't give them a bad rep!

On the other topic, I rode the Shoreline this morning and it was perfect! Rode from my house, left at 5:20, and rode to the Mt. Ogden Park trailhead, to 36th trailhead, then up to the Shoreline (note to self don't climb up from 36th!). Rode to 29th then home.

Just under an hour riding, and still got to work by 7! I love living so close to the trails, even if it is just the Shoreline.

Saw no one on the trail. and the view was magnificent as the sun was starting to peak over the mountains.

I am itching to get up Wheeler Creek, but the Shorline is plenty of fun when it's not crowded! Night or early morning is the key to fast uninterrupted flow!

frog

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 cog frog View Post
    It's too bad he's sporting a Skyline kit, cuz I have been nothing but impressed with those guys. Hope this dude doesn't give them a bad rep!

On the other topic, I rode the Shoreline this morning and it was perfect! Rode from my house, left at 5:20, and rode to the Mt. Ogden Park trailhead, to 36th trailhead, then up to the Shoreline (note to self don't climb up from 36th!). Rode to 29th then home.

Just under an hour riding, and still got to work by 7! I love living so close to the trails, even if it is just the Shoreline.

Saw no one on the trail. and the view was magnificent as the sun was starting to peak over the mountains.

I am itching to get up Wheeler Creek, but the Shorline is plenty of fun when it's not crowded! Night or early morning is the key to fast uninterrupted flow!

frog
    You should check it out in the dark; the view of Ogden while your up on the cliff is awesome!

mtbr member
    The whole Skyline gear thing bothers me. It's my go-to shop and I'd hate for this guy to give a bad impression to anyone new to the area or the sport. I send people there all the time and they always thank me for it. I normally ride in the AM but, if I see Mr. Balls, I will promptly remove said gear and display it as a victory flag.
    Last edited by Bruski; 06-01-2012 at 02:05 PM.

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    For the record, I've seen other riders wearing Skyline jerseys and they were always nice.

Flaccid Member
    Did you pay to race? If so, then only two things matter, you and your personal best and your finish time. It's you against the clock.

The person passing has the obligation to pass cleanly, where safe. As long as you are in front of him, you have right of way. He gets to navigate around you, like any other obstacle on the course.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

mtbr member
    I think we saw this ****** up on Green Pond a couple of weeks ago. He's definitely NOT Cody Balls...you'd know CB if you've ever met him...and that's not a good thing! Full Skyline kit and riding uphill angrily through a big group of younger kids hiking and ringing his incredibell like it was a car horn. Before he showed up everyone was being nice and cordial and letting all our bikes by. You could tell the couple of parents with the group of kids were annoyed. Like it or not, these are MULTI-USE trails and not bike only trails and this guy needs to learn how to SHARE!

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Why not call Skyline with a description of the guy and the bike he's on? Guaranteed they'll know who it is and may get the message to him that he's acting like an ass and giving their shop a bad name. If they are potentially losing customers over this I think they would take it very seriously.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

mtbr member
    If this is indeed Cody Balls, know that he is mentally handicapped and a completely over zealous nightmare. He used to hang out at Bingham's a lot (used to work there), sounds like he moved over to Skyline (He'll hang out where he perceives is the cool shop). I would not try to confront him unless you have a somewhat large group of people, because he will likely fight and things could get out of hand quickly. He knows absolutely no personal limits or boundaries.

BTW, Ogden BST at night is fun as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy View Post
    Did you pay to race? If so, then only two things matter, you and your personal best and your finish time. It's you against the clock.

The person passing has the obligation to pass cleanly, where safe. As long as you are in front of him, you have right of way. He gets to navigate around you, like any other obstacle on the course.

Are you for real or just trolling? This wasn't a race, just a ride on the Ogden BST. And really poor advice too. Its aggressive, no trail etiquette, racer fanatic a$$hole attitudes like this that really ruin this sport. Go pat yourself on the back keep telling yourself how awesome you are.
    All I know is that I don't know nothin'... and that's fine.