banned

Taking a first timer to Moab

My fiancee and I are taking a week long trip to Moab. She's a first timer and I've been there 4 times, but not since 01. I've ridden Porcupine, Slickrock, Poison spider portal, Moab rim, Behind the rocks, and at Bartlett Wash. I ride a Nomad and she rides a Juliana, we usually ride XC trails together in Oregon and Washington. She hasn't ridden a lot of technical terrain but isn't a beginner either. Can anyone recommend some rides that we both would enjoy together and/or so she can get acclimated when we get there?

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I like to take 1st timers on Klondike Bluffs & Baby Steps. Easy climbing but still plenty of fun coming down. If she's cool with the rock try Slickrock. Anyone can have fun on that as long as they can get behind the saddle and use the front brake.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Travis

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle
    I like to take 1st timers on Klondike Bluffs & Baby Steps. Easy climbing but still plenty of fun coming down. If she's cool with the rock try Slickrock. Anyone can have fun on that as long as they can get behind the saddle and use the front brake.
    I would amend your comments with "and use the front brake with caution". I usually rear brake skid down the real steeps on Slickrock and just feather the front brake very lightly as needed.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

alien exchange student

Some other options

Howdy, I agree completely with Klondike Bluffs as an option. You might want to consider Bar M Loop (with the Circle O option) for the first ride. It is easy, pretty and will introduce your girlfriend to some slickrock, sand, ledgy rock etc. Try the Slickrock Practice Loop before you head to the main loop. It really isn't easier but it is a lot shorter if she is unhappy. Sovereign is intermediate in difficulty but an experienced rider should really enjoy it. Amasa Back definitely has some spots that are tough, but overall it isn't too bad. It gives you an awesome view from the top. Any tough spots can be easily walked in a short distance. Fisher Mesa Singletrack is up in the mountains. It is a great out and back along the mesa edge. It is both beautiful and fun.

If you need more help, just email me and I'll do my best.

Mel
    ridermel@moabtrailguide.com

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I live in Moab and my wife just started riding recently at the young age of 58 because she figured it was a good way to spend more time with me. Some of the trails we ride, and the ones I would recommend for an aspiring rider are:

- Seven Mile Rim/Uranium Arch and Monitor & Merrimac Loop. A really good ride that can be great if you know how to avoid the bad sandy spots.

- Metal Masher aka Eagle's Perch aka Little Canyon Rim Trail. Great loop with killer views.

- Bar M with the new Rockin A and Circle O sections. Bar M is very easy but still fun if you really hammer along. The new Rockin A and Cirlce O sections add a nice technical challenge all on rock.

- Klondike Bluffs and Baby Steps.

- Bartlett Wash/Hidden Canyon Loop.

- Mary's trail system in Loma, CO, has lots of miles of wonderful singletrack and is only a few hours drive from Moab. Well worth checking out.

Hope this helps. Where abouts in the northwest do you live? And what dates will you be in Moab?

Craig

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    I would amend your comments with "and use the front brake with caution". I usually rear brake skid down the real steeps on Slickrock and just feather the front brake very lightly as needed.

I took a couple of newbies on Slickrock and once they learned to get their weight way back and really lay on the front brake they were cool with it. Feathering the front and skidding the rear would not slow me (220) down on some of those slopes. After my 1st Moab trip I was much more confident with my braking. Since that 1st trip I swapped my brakes so that my right, dominant hand does the front braking. I able to apply much more usable force that way without going to far. My left hand just controls the rear enough so that it dosn't skid.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Sounds like your wife will enjoy Sovereign.

banned
    We live in Portland and we'll be in Moab May 4-9.