mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Sundance Super D Course

Does anyone have any info on the Super D course at Sundance. I'm signed up to race and not having been able to ride the course yet this year, am unsure of which bike to bring. Specifically, how much pedaling is involved? I have a Blur trc for longer, enduro type riding as well as a Nomad that's built up for more FR/DH type riding. I feel more confident descending on the Nomad, but it's certainly not as responsive when pedaling.

Thanks.

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by a.d.85 View Post
    Does anyone have any info on the Super D course at Sundance. I'm signed up to race and not having been able to ride the course yet this year, am unsure of which bike to bring. Specifically, how much pedaling is involved? I have a Blur trc for longer, enduro type riding as well as a Nomad that's built up for more FR/DH type riding. I feel more confident descending on the Nomad, but it's certainly not as responsive when pedaling.

Thanks.
    I've heard it's similar to last year and if that's the case I'd go TRC with some decent tires to deal with what sounds like will be some sloppy conditions.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Word is that the Super-D got delayed to Saturday the 2nd at 10:30am. Can anyone confirm this? If this is true, would it still be possible to register for the race?

DOH!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownni View Post
    Word is that the Super-D got delayed to Saturday the 2nd at 10:30am. Can anyone confirm this? If this is true, would it still be possible to register for the race?
    Yes. Race was cancelled last Sat due to weather. It's been re-scheduled for this Sat at 10:30am. Not sure about day-of registration....

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    At awards yesterday they mentioned that they still have some spots open and to send an email to info@utahdh.org if you're interested.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I can't make the reschedule so I'm sure there are open spots.

YRG
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by a.d.85 View Post

Thanks.
    Trc,

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I was emailing them today and they still had spots open. Should be interesting - first super d for me, I no idea where the course goes and there isn't any practice time available.

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by erok81 View Post
    I was emailing them today and they still had spots open. Should be interesting - first super d for me, I no idea where the course goes and there isn't any practice time available.
    Hmmm, so they won't open the lifts at 9am or anything to allow for a practice lap?
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Nope. I wish they were though. I suck at cold runs. Especially since I have zero idea where the course goes. This is exactly what they told me.

No pratice saturday morning as the lift opens at 10 and the race starts at 10:30.

DOH!
    Nope. I wish they were though. I suck at cold runs.
    You and me both, brother.

My solution: coffee on the way to the top, beer at the bottom, lock up AM bike, hop on DH bike, finish the rest of the day relaxed.

Course: from memory (if the info I was given was correct, and what I rode opening weekend was right), the race starts on the "other loose, crappy fire road" at the top of the lift (just "behind" the DH start), re-intersects the loose, crappy DH fire road at the first intersection, then to Switchback Alley, (hang a left) then down another fire road, hard left on to (I think) Rock and Roll, eventually to The Boneyard, which spits you out onto the paved road just below the upper parking lot. Sharp left. You then have a wonderful lung-buster sprint UP the road to the gate of the upper lot, which is the finish line.

Congrats. You just burned $30.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I like your solution.

Thanks for posting that course summary. I think I've done a lot of those separately.Should be fun.

mtbr member
    So how'd it go? I'd be interested to hear a report. I emailed UtahDH Friday and they got me registered but I made a snap decision as I passed the Sundance turnoff that morning at 7:00AM to go preride the Wasatch Enduro course at the Canyons instead. I figured 3-4 hours of riding for free was going to be better than paying $30 to ride for 6-10 minutes..... And with threatening skies, the 20 minute lift ride and standing around at the top of the mountain waiting for my turn to race just sounded cold. If I could've got in 2-3 runs before the race that might've swayed me.

Turned at to be a beautiful day in Park City. I assume the weather at Sundance was good as well. How was the course?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Krob- I wasn't part of the initial discussion,but did race.

The weather was perfect. They opened the lift about 9:30 and I think most riders did one pre-ride. The entire course was pretty tacky/hero dirt except the beginning. The beginning was just a dirt road with loose rock. Not sure if you've seen video or ridden it prior, but it has tons of turns/corners/switchbacks and a super fun trail.

I am hoping to make it to the Tears, Fears and Beers this weekend...
    Check out my riding blog:

http://onetrailatatime.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ggilings View Post
    Krob- I wasn't part of the initial discussion,but did race.

The weather was perfect. They opened the lift about 9:30 and I think most riders did one pre-ride. The entire course was pretty tacky/hero dirt except the beginning. The beginning was just a dirt road with loose rock. Not sure if you've seen video or ridden it prior, but it has tons of turns/corners/switchbacks and a super fun trail.

I am hoping to make it to the Tears, Fears and Beers this weekend...

Cool. Thanks for the report. By the time I got to Park City and made the first climb up to Red Pine Lodge the weather was perfect. I was glad to get a few practice runs in on the Wasatch Enduro course but was kinda wishing I had raced too.

Can't have everything I guess.

Hope to see you this Saturday at the FTB.
    Last edited by KRob; 06-04-2012 at 11:13 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    After doing that Super D, I don't know how I am going to make it through the Wasatch Enduro. I am pretty sure I saw Jesus on the final road part.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    After doing that Super D, I don't know how I am going to make it through the Wasatch Enduro. I am pretty sure I saw Jesus on the final road part.
    HAHAHA I know what you mean. I had to sit on the top tube of my bike at the finish for like 10 minutes before I had the energy to get off and sit on the ground.

That last uphill was brutal. Told my wife I may die half way through the Enduro...
    Check out my riding blog:

http://onetrailatatime.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hahaha. I had no problem passing the finish line and within maybe two feet of that, tipping over and laying down. Where I stayed for at least five minutes before I hobbled off to my chair. Hopefully there won't be a lot of spectators on the uphill sections so I can push my bike.

mtbr member
    I rode most of the Enduro timed sections and didn't see any significant climbs (Mayb they were on the parts I missed). You're not timed on the climb up to the racing stages.

I just saw this video of the Sundance DH and Super D over on FB. That final pavement climb at the end looked killer. My tongue would be hanging on the ground for sure.