mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Sundance Resort Issues

I'm a Utah local that enjoys all types of riding. I love how close Sundance is to Provo (Where I currently live) and love that they have lift access, but I think they definitely leave a lot to be desired. They have so much space, but very few trails, most of which are completely rutted out with no berms on most of the corners, or they have softball sized, jagged rocks all over that destroy tires. I would be happy to put in weekend volunteer time to make improvements, cut new trails, etc. but Sundance doesn't really seem to have any desire to expand. unfortunately, The Canyons is destroying Sundance when it comes to trail quality, and overall quality of experience.

I am considering petitioning Sundance to start volunteer build days some weekends, because I know they can make the trails better. Would anyone else be interested?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I completely agree. It seems like the trails at Sundance live far beneath their potential. It seems like there is no maintenance at all. I also feel that Sundance has tons of potential! There is a big bike scene in Utah county, including tons of riders, some excellent shops and even a bike manufacturer. Something should be done to utilize this great resort, amazing terrain, and proximity to so many willing and paying riders. Lets stir up a little excitement and see what changes can be made.

oootard
    Quote Originally Posted by Jameswr View Post
    I completely agree. It seems like the trails at Sundance live far beneath their potential. It seems like there is no maintenance at all. I also feel that Sundance has tons of potential! There is a big bike scene in Utah county, including tons of riders, some excellent shops and even a bike manufacturer. Something should be done to utilize this great resort, amazing terrain, and proximity to so many willing and paying riders. Lets stir up a little excitement and see what changes can be made.
    Good luck! This ground has been plowed many times before, but I wish you all the best.

mtbr member
    Sundance seems happy just being Sundance -- a cheap little resort for Utah Co. locals. I don't think a petition is going to change their mindset. But let us know how it goes.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    May 2009
    You cant force a business to give a sh#t or to want to be successful. If they wanted your current and future business they would be upgrading and/or maintaining their grounds.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    To make money, you need to attract more than broke 23 year old guys on downhill bikes, and UT county does not have the population of downhill mountain bike adults/families you'd need to make it viable, I'm guessing.

If and when Canyons really starts doing well (ie making money) other resorts will sit up and take notice but until then downhillers are, at best, just some extra folks the resort will let on the lift with the tourists. At worst they scare said tourists (who do spend money) and whine a lot about more trails.

And keep in mind, I say this as someone who loves DH. Utah will get there, but only when the groms and moms and dads are interested in great enough numbers that you actually have to stand in line to get on the lift.

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

Swimming thru the Smog
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    To make money, you need to attract more than broke 23 year old guys on downhill bikes, and UT county does not have the population of downhill mountain bike adults/families you'd need to make it viable, I'm guessing.

If and when Canyons really starts doing well (ie making money) other resorts will sit up and take notice but until then downhillers are, at best, just some extra folks the resort will let on the lift with the tourists. At worst they scare said tourists (who do spend money) and whine a lot about more trails.

And keep in mind, I say this as someone who loves DH. Utah will get there, but only when the groms and moms and dads are interested in great enough numbers that you actually have to stand in line to get on the lift.

-Walt
    I agree for the most part. However there is something to be said about folks that will fork out 3-5 thousand dollars on a bike that doesnt pedal uphill. I think as the canyons grow other resorts will take on similar projects. As far as compliance with the public/city we have several sponsored FR/DH trails finished and in the works which is huge for this area.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    Their parents mostly buy their bikes.

I kid, I kid. As I said, UT will get there. I watched this process play out in CO over the last decade and there are now 2 resorts that are probably profitable and several more getting there. The population of mountain bikers there is at least an order of magnitude greater than the Wasatch front, though.

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    I haven't noticed any issues with trails being rutted out. As far as I know Sundance has the most rugged dh trails in the area, and that is a good thing. I'd much rather have that than some smooth berms.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Sundance... most rugged dh trails in the area? There isn't even a trail there that needs a downhill bike. 6" trail bike is more than enough. Sundance is a fun ride once a year, but nothing to bring you back more than that. You do ride down the hill there, but is more of a lift served all mountain/XC trail system.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CuSauce View Post
    Sundance... most rugged dh trails in the area? There isn't even a trail there that needs a downhill bike. 6" trail bike is more than enough. Sundance is a fun ride once a year, but nothing to bring you back more than that. You do ride down the hill there, but is more of a lift served all mountain/XC trail system.
    What trails do you think require a dh bike?

I'm not saying Sundance can't be improved, more trails would certainly be great, but the only thing I can really complain about there is the 25 minute lift rides. I haven't noticed too much of an issue with ruts, and the rocks are part of the mountain whether you like it or not. Imagine riding on a shale covered mountain and complaining that the shale shouldn't be there.