RHRF!

St. George This Weekend!

Our group from Arizona will be heading up to St. George this weekend to ride "The Goose", the Hurricane/Goulds/JEM Loop, and some local St. George trails.

Any locals know the current trail conditions? Is there any standing water/mud/snow on any of the trails? Is there anything we should avoid?

Thanks for your help!

RHRF!

Pat
    "The secret of joy is the mastery of pain." (Anaïs Nin)

Bike Snob
    Quote Originally Posted by titusbro
    Any locals know the current trail conditions? Is there any standing water/mud/snow on any of the trails? Is there anything we should avoid?

Pat
    Everything is open, the in town stuff is perfect. Maybe a little damp out at Goose and the Crick.

mtbr member
    We rode Guacamole last Friday and it was fine. The road up was mostly dry and just slightly rutted. On Saturday we went to Little Creek. The road in was fine with some ruts and a couple of small puddles but the trail was still quite muddy in the shade with spots of snow still on the trail. Wash tub wash was still quite unridable and the rim loop was not yet ready to ride. but there was still plenty of open slickrock to ride and it should be a lot drier this weekend.
    Guacamole
    http://www.mtbguru.com/trip/show/433...uacamole-trail
    Little Creek
    http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=13965

Rocks Rock

Last weekend

I rode chruch rock Sat. morning and I did two runs on broken mesa rim Sat. afternoon. Sun. morning I did barrel trial. All trail condintions were excelent. Nice and rocky and rutted. They will be buffed out in no time with a little traffic.
    This was my first time to ride in St. George and I had a little trouble finding the trails I like but broken mesa and barrel were awesome. Sat. I drove up to the trail head for broken mesa and rode the trail hoping I would find a shuttle ride back up. The plan worked pretty well as some folks picked me up just under half way up from the water tank. So we get to the trail head and there is this diverse group of local St. George folks with nice bikes but they didn't really look equiped for this broken mesa trail on mtn bikes. A couple camel backs in the group, but mostly all dressed in cut off jeans or cackys tee shrits or maybe sweats. Plus its like 3:30 pm now. I had just rode the trial in a couple hours, but I was thinking it would be dark by the time some of these folks got down. One couple the guy was 50 and his wife 47, they were fit but not experienced mtbers. So I thought I better go with them. Well about half way thru the ride I was glad to hear that they were experienced outdoors type folks and found someone that promised to be sweeper. Since they seemed to split into two groups I went with the first group and depended on the sweeper to do his job. The first group made it back to where the shuttle riggs were just before dark and we watched the other folks start down the real narley cut off the rim. by the time they got to the poweline road we saw them again with their flash lights, BUT they turned the worng way and we had to use cell phones to get them turned around and headed back. Finally about 8:30 pm we headed up to the trail head to get our other rigs. I was amazed everyone was in such good spirits. They had all missed out on their different plans for the evening and were sore and tired. But they were all laughing and gave each other lots of grap. As for me I had a great time. What a fun group of people.
    When we teach all children from age 5 on to meditate just 1 hour per week on compassion war will end within 3 generations.

NOT Team Sanchez
    Hey did you hit any of the "south shore" on the barrels?
    I like bikes.

RHRF!

Great Time in St. George!

We got back Tuesday night. Rode Paradise, Barrel Roll, Gooseberry, and Hurricane/Goulds/JEM... Pics forthcoming...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    how 'bout this weekend? Was hoping to head down early Sat and come back up north sunday evening. Sat is looking OK - but Sun is questionable. what are the locals hearing about the weather?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    curious about the local weather forecast as well

RHRF!
    Here's a little something to hold you over... Goose Teaser
    Last edited by titusbro; 03-18-2008 at 08:56 AM.

Rocks Rock
    Quote Originally Posted by wasea04
    Hey did you hit any of the "south shore" on the barrels?
    I am guessing you are refering to the free ride stunts close to the bottom. I wish I were younger and willing to leave the ground for more than a second, but I'm just a roller, so I stay off that stuff. I do ride with a lot of free riders and like to watch.
    When we teach all children from age 5 on to meditate just 1 hour per week on compassion war will end within 3 generations.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by impdude
    I am guessing you are refering to the free ride stunts close to the bottom. I wish I were younger and willing to leave the ground for more than a second, but I'm just a roller, so I stay off that stuff. I do ride with a lot of free riders and like to watch.
    Dave!
    We'll be in Moab next week... Want to join us?

NOT Team Sanchez
    Quote Originally Posted by impdude

No, that's all good bro, I'm just always interested to see how many people are willing to try it.
    I like bikes.

Rocks Rock
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    Dave!
    We'll be in Moab next week... Want to join us?
    Hell ya I wanna join yawl... But I'll be working. Have fun!

Rocks Rock
    Quote Originally Posted by wasea04
    No, that's all good bro, I'm just always interested to see how many people are willing to try it.
    Thanx for checkin. I guess I was thinkin of the right stuff. That trail is great!

mtbr member
    The southshore stuff is not always easy for people to find. This is agood thing as it keeps some from getting hurt and it keeps people from ruining our hard work. (which happened several times on the Barrel for a time)

NOT Team Sanchez

New Stuff!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Playdeep
    The southshore stuff is not always easy for people to find. This is agood thing as it keeps some from getting hurt and it keeps people from ruining our hard work. (which happened several times on the Barrel for a time)
    Have you seen the new trail features Ben and I put in on the mustache? By the way what's your non avatar name, have we ridden together?
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    We got back Tuesday night. Rode Paradise, Barrel Roll, Gooseberry, and Hurricane/Goulds/JEM... Pics forthcoming...
    Hi titusbro,

I suspect we met while you were at goose and hurricane. My son (Titus Motolite) and I (Santa Cruz Blur) had great rides in the area and then went up to Moab and rode Slickrock, Sovereign, and Bartlett Wash before heading back to Portland.

RHRF!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker
    Hi titusbro,

I suspect we met while you were at goose and hurricane. My son (Titus Motolite) and I (Santa Cruz Blur) had great rides in the area and then went up to Moab and rode Slickrock, Sovereign, and Bartlett Wash before heading back to Portland.
    That was us (me on the blue ML)! It was nice chatting with you guys. You should have turned around and rode with us - we had a blast bombing down the JEM trail!

BTW - What prompted your son to get a ML? Was it his decision or did you have a say in it?

Pat

mtbr member
    May 2005
    That was us (me on the blue ML)! It was nice chatting with you guys. You should have turned around and rode with us - we had a blast bombing down the JEM trail!

BTW - What prompted your son to get a ML? Was it his decision or did you have a say in it?

Pat
    Totally his decision. He borrowed a ML from a friend for a couple of weeks and decided that was going to be his new bike choice. My only input was $$$. It is a really fun bike. It is a bit too "soft" while climbing for my taste, but it sure rips on the flats and downhills.

I have that JEM loop in my plans for the next time I'm down there!

Kevin