Isisrider

St. George trail conditions

Hey, I was going to head down to St. George this coming weekend (February 7-10) from the SNOWY northern end of the state and do some riding. Any guesses on the conditions of the trails, say Goosberry, JEM, Church Rocks, Slickrock swamp, etc. If they are too muddy, maybe I will continue on down to the Red Rocks area around Vegas I have never rode there before.
    Thanks for your suggestions.
    Isisrider

NMBP
    Church Rocks and Rockville will be OK. Riding from the corral to the trail on Rockville will probably be muddy. Just stay on the road and pick up the trail after the new subdivision bridge. Goose will be ridable, although the road in might be sloppy. It is suppose to get warmer by the weekend, so things might start drying out. JEM will probably still be muddy in lots of places.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

Team Sanchez
    We got some snow last night here, but the weather is supposed to hold thru the week, so by this weekend, your best options will be Slickrock Swamp, LIttle Creek Mesa, Barrels, Zen, Church Rocks. The road to Goose will still most likely be a sloppy mess, but the road out to little creek is mostly crushed Lava rock, so it should be passable.

Isisrider

Little Creek

I have ridden Gooseberry numerous times, and heard alot about Little Creek but we have never rode Little Creek. Is the trial easy to follow now or do we need a map?
    Isisrider

Bike Snob
    It is harder to find the trail head than follow the trail. You will still need some trail finding/ following skills once you get there. If you get to some slick rock and don't see the trail just make a clockwise loop around the outside and eventually you will find your way.

Isisrider
    It looks like we are going to St. George.
    Anybody else going to be riding down there?
    Isisrider

NOT Team Sanchez
    I'll be riding like crazy! Hey El C my Bullit is complete and pretty sick I must say.........the lousy part is going from thirty 36 pounds to 41 pounds. I've got fully Hadley on 729's though so nothing is gonna be breaking. Let me know about riding this weekend, and richochet you're welcome to come throw down as well.
    I like bikes.

Team Sanchez
    I'm just hoping that the sun melts and drys the rest of the snow before Satruday. I"m looking forward to hitting the Barrels on Saturday, and the jumps in the old wash on the way down. We rode that wash last Saturday, and had a blast.

mtbr member
    Hey, I have a quick question. What's the goathead situation on the trails around there? I'm thinking specifically JEM/Gould's/Hurricane, chruch rocks, Stucki/Bearclaw, etc. Is it a real concern or can I get away just running tubes? I'm probably won't go tubeless until later this year and hoping to get away without running slime tubes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

SG has a high likely hood of getting flats.

Mostly becuase it has all of the things that can cause all the different kinds of flats.
    There are alot of stair step type rocks that if slammed with the back tire can cause a pinch flat. There are alot of small drops with immediate uphill's (whoop-de-doo) that can and do pinch tubes.
    There are lots of goatheads.
    There is catci. Lots of cacti.

I think you will be okay with tubes, I would just count on changing one on the side of the trail. Make sure you have to spares and lots of air with you when you ride.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

barrell roll

still has snow on it as of 2/6. the gem huricane was unridable last week and im sure it wont be ok yet. the clay areas are toast.

Team Sanchez
    On the trails you mentioned, there aren't any goatheads that I have ever come across. All of my crew run regular tubes. If we do flat, it's usually a pinch flat from banging down the techy sections. My recommendation is to run about 5-10psi more than you normally would. Occassionally I will get a flat from a cactus, but only if I stray from the trail.

mtbr member
    Thanks for your help guys! I hope to make down presidents weekend if the weather holds and the trails dry up.