mtbr member
    Jun 2004

St. George Ideas for President's day weekend...

Thinking of heading to the St. George area for president's day weekend from the central coast area of CA. I'd probably get there Friday night...maybe camp out on gooseberry mesa that night and ride that Saturday. Ride Sunday and Monday as well, but I have only ridden Gooseberry. I have heard Guacamole, JEM/Hurricane Rim, and Bearclaw/Poppy are recommended rides.

But, my question is this: Is there a spot to camp out similar to camping up on Gooseberry that is more central to the rides I listed? If the trip turns into me and one or two friends...that means I am driving and if I make Goose my campsite...I'll probably off load my truck camper there for the weekend so that I can got to other trail heads without having to break down the camper.

So, my other question is this: Do you think my camper will be safe to leave unattended for most of the day while riding elsewhere if I am camped up at the goose?

Thanks.

Bike Snob
    Stay at Goose and do Little Creek, JEM, and Guacamole or Slickrock Swamp. I've never heard of anybody traveling that far to ride Bearclaw.
    Your stuff should be fine at goose, people do it all the time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I would advise against Little Creek

unless you can find a local to show you around. The trail is hard to follow and poorly marked, and you are not likely to even find the parking lot without someone that knows where it is.
    As far as the Bear claw-Poppy trail goes it depends on what type of riding you are looking for. That trail and the trails around it have some of the best riding in the area in my opinion. You cannot get a steady 45 min to and hour climb anywhere on gooseberry, but there are a few avalible at the bear-claw.. There is alot of variety avalible in the Bear-claw area. Some Technical riding, some fast singletrack, some stout climbs, its got way more variety then basically anywhere else I have ever ridden. There are 50 miles of singletrack linked together in that area. Its awsome technical XC riding. If you are looking to play around and jump off rocks then Gooseberry is good.
    As far as camping at a midpoint there is a ton of camping avalible in the warner valley area just west of hurricane. You can also stay at a campground at sand hollow resivor outside of hurricane. Check out www.utahmountainbiking.com and look for the Cholla challange racecourse which is in warner valley. The only prob with camping out there is the wind. They call it hurricane for a reason. There are no trees out there and when the wind blows it blows the sand around and sucks. Goose has trees and would be more pleasent camping in my opinion, but it is far out there.
    I for one drive 400 miles to ride the bearclaw all the time. Enjoy your trip and feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

Baaaaah.

First time I rode LC I was alone with my net beta and did just fine. Might be some snow out there, though.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse
    First time I rode LC I was alone with my net beta and did just fine. Might be some snow out there, though.

Little Creek is well tracked out now, I would head there. Every time I've ridden there, I have ridden solo without really any route finding issues.

I will be headed to St George Presidents Weekend as well and will be riding Goose and LC on Saturday. If you are at all concerned about finding LC, let me know and we can meet up. I plan on starting around 7:00AM.

Forecast looks promising!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

sweet....

Quote Originally Posted by ColoRider1
    Little Creek is well tracked out now, I would head there. Every time I've ridden there, I have ridden solo without really any route finding issues.

I will be headed to St George Presidents Weekend as well and will be riding Goose and LC on Saturday. If you are at all concerned about finding LC, let me know and we can meet up. I plan on starting around 7:00AM.

Forecast looks promising!

Thanks for the offer!.

Though I just checked the weather channel site and it is saying 60% rain on Saturday and 30% sunday (16th and 17th that is). If the forecast holds through monday, I'll probably make it a no go call for that weekend. A 10 hour drive to get rained out isn't what I want to do right now with ride time becoming more and more precious for me.

Ideally I'd like to make the trip a couple of times in the fall (assuming summer/fall is the dry season). Hopefully by then I'll have the new GF trail riding too and ride time won't be an issue

Isisrider
    I just got home from riding in St. George and you will probably not be able to ride any where around Gooseberry for a couple of weeks. The road into Little Creek and Gooseberry both still had about 6-8" of snow as of Saturday, and it was not very warm. The Jem trail was still un-ridable also.
    Isisrider

mtbr member

ditto that

Just got back from the area myself and and 6-8 inches covering the entire mesa on gooseberry is no joke. Once that stuff melts I have a pretty good idea what the road will be like.

I didn't even attempt to get up to LC but no way will it be rideable next weekend.

I went lower and tried both the hurricane rim and goulds but found them in pretty bad shape with some snow and lots of mud. If it stays warm down there those may be OK by next weekend.

On the plus side, the weather was exactly what I had hoped for down there and although it was not my first choice the slickrock at Church Rocks is always good for some cheap thrills.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

St. George conditions

The Bear Paw Poppy/ Stucki Springs trails were rideable, but a little squishy in places on Saturday. The Race Course loops, Barrel Ride and Zen trail were all amazing. Church Rocks is good to go, but there have been alot of horses on the trail.

The reports on the snow are correct. The higher trails like Gooseberry and Little Creek are not rideable yet, but I will be checking out the Jem/Hurricane rim area Wednesday and will have an update for that and the higher trails.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks for the trail update.

The in-law's house is a nice little warmup ride away from the Zen and Barrel trails so all but one of my rides each trip is there. The leash gets kinda short on these "family" vacations.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Please post the trail conditions. My sweetie's Valentine gift is a trip to ride in your area. Please let us know what is rideable...without coating ourselves or the bikes in clay.

Thanks.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I live in rockville and the road to the goose is as bad as I've ever seen it. I still think it would be out of the Question this weekend. little creeks been under snow for three weeks now. Bench trail will probably dry out enough tomorrow. There is a new sign out there warning bikes are prohibited but it's been there for a couple of weeks and people don't seem to be heeding it's call. last nights snow dried well today all the st. george rides should be fine.