ODB
    mtbr member

St. George/Hurricane--What if it rains?

Need some local knowledge, please. We're a small group from Southern Cal headed out there this weekend, and there is a slight chance of rain in the forecast. If light to medium showers hit, what are the trails that hold up to moisture well and will still be rideable ... and also accessible? (We have high-clearance vehicles, but no 4WD.) We're looking at picking from this list of trails: Gooseberry, Little Creek, Slickrock Swamp, JEM, Grafton, Zen, Barrel, Guacamole (open to others as well, however).

Also, how are conditions overall right now?

Thanks for any advice you can give us. Can't wait to get out there.

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    not local, but been there when its rained. MOST IMPORTANT -- if it rains very much do not try to get out to Gooseberry mesa and if you are out there and it starts to rain, get outta there quick as that road is impassable when its gets very wet.
    Ive done JEM when it was wet, got dirty but not a problem. thats my $.02

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by ODB
    Need some local knowledge, please. We're a small group from Southern Cal headed out there this weekend, and there is a slight chance of rain in the forecast. If light to medium showers hit, what are the trails that hold up to moisture well and will still be rideable ... and also accessible? (We have high-clearance vehicles, but no 4WD.) We're looking at picking from this list of trails: Gooseberry, Little Creek, Slickrock Swamp, JEM, Grafton, Zen, Barrel, Guacamole (open to others as well, however).

Also, how are conditions overall right now?

Thanks for any advice you can give us. Can't wait to get out there.
    It's been dry for a little while, so most trails will be OK with a little rain. We did Goose on 3-29-08 and the main road was very dry and dusty. The road from the outhouse to the trail head was in excellent shape, best I've seen it in years.

If it is pouring rain wet, Church Rocks, Prospector handles wet very well.

From your list, Guac and Goose have the worst roads in.

Weather Underground says 20% chance of rain Thursday, partly cloudy Sat & Sun. Looks like a good weekend to ride.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

Bike Snob
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtestdummy
    Weather Underground says 20% chance of rain Thursday, partly cloudy Sat & Sun. Looks like a good weekend to ride.

Just enough to make it tacky and keep the dust down.

The road to Goose actually needs a lot of water to make it impassable. I sat thru a thunderstorm under a rock ledge at Goose a couple of years back. It was incredible to see the way the storm rolled in and the water on the rocks. I really wished I had a camera that day.

mtbr member
    We'll be heading out to Little Creek on Saturday. If you want to join up with us we will be meeting at Over the Edge Sports in Hurricane around 11 AM. Over the Edge is located right at the bottom of the hill leading out of Hurricane to Gooseberry and Little Creek

Team Sanchez
    Zen and the Barrel trail handle the water extremely well, as do the Santa Clara trails like Barrel rolls.

ODB
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoIQ
    We'll be heading out to Little Creek on Saturday. If you want to join up with us we will be meeting at Over the Edge Sports in Hurricane around 11 AM. Over the Edge is located right at the bottom of the hill leading out of Hurricane to Gooseberry and Little Creek
    Thanks so much for the invite, but we probably won't be hitting town till 1 or 2. I really hope to hit Little Creek while we're there, though. Maybe Monday or Tuesday.

The Sentinel

Trails could use a little rain

I rode JEM trail on 3-28, and it was extremely dusty in some places...a little rain would be just what the doctor ordered!
    Sworn to avenge, condemned to hell

ODB
    mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice, everyone. And a thanks to the guys i've been talking to on the phone today. Hope we're able to hook up.

Toby

ODB
    mtbr member
    We had a fantastic time! Huge thanks to Kurt and Dusty.

http://www.socaltrailriders.org/foru...ose-loose.html

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    The best thing about St. George though is that even if it does rain the soil dries out pretty quickly so you can hit the trails right after.

Gooseberry even after a huge dump is still rideable. Three years ago I was there with a group of friends and the road going in was under water. We still made it through and had a great ride.

I have ridden Green Valley loop/Bearclaw Poppy trail after a nights down pour.

Have a great time there.

Gravity Tester
    Hurricane Rim = very ridable when wet, with the exception of one super muddy wash (you'll know when you get there)

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangeruss
    Hurricane Rim = very ridable when wet, with the exception of one super muddy wash (you'll know when you get there)
    I am guessing that you have never seen the JEM/Rim really wet. It can take a while to dry out in the winter after lots of moisture. If it has been dry and then gets rained on, it will probably be OK. Rain and wet can be an extremely variable terms in the desert.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

Gravity Tester
    Well I've ridden it the early morning after a night long rain event. Starting from the north side and edning at the cell towers. I've also seen J.E.M. as a super slick mess of snot after a brief rain, so I understand the variables.

mtbr member
    Bearclaw since it is clay, wouldnt seem to a wise one to ride after downpour. I could see the trail getting easily damaged. But Ben and others would know better than I.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks Kurt for hooking us up with Dusty. We had a great time. Zen / Fluffy was the shizzle!

Dusty on Fluffy Bunny

The rest of the picture are here: http://www.socaltrailriders.org/foru...ose-loose.html