Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, the two year old will mostly be in an iBert (steerer tube mounted seat), but I'll strap his Strider bike to my pack, and my daughter will be in my custom made towing system on the uphills, and ride by herself on the downhills. If you know the Round Valley trails of Park City, we have ridden all of these in this configuration, and others in Fruita / Crested Butte / Moab, etc. My kids get bored with asphalt, and we ride singletrack a lot (2-3 times a week), so we aren't the average tourist bikers. I just want some smooth, buff and flowy trails for them to ride. But we have three days, and would like to find another trail that we could all ride.

Then I was looking to Rhythm and Blue and Zen trail when I get some me time. Any other suggestions for some quick 1-2 hour advanced loops.

Thanks again - BS

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BullSCit View Post
    Was planning on going to Moab this weekend, but looks like we will travel Southwest instead, since it looks to be 15F warmer on the weekend. I have been out to St. George / Hurricane a couple of times before, I rode a lot of trails, but it has been several years ago, and I only remember a couple of names (JEM, Bearclaw, C Trail, GB Mesa, Red Canyon). But now I will have the family with me, and looking for some good trails to try with them. My kids are young (2 and 4), but we are lucky to have singletrack out the back door, so they ride a lot.

But are JEM and Bearclaw some good rides to take them on? Anything else that would be better? Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks - BS
    If you decide to ride in Cedar City, Three Peaks has a great 6 mile loop that will be easy on the kids with not a lot of climbing. If you do come there PM me and I'll tell you which loops to do.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Advanced.

Zen, Barrell Trail, Barrell Roll, Hurricane Rim, Church Rocks Broken Mesa

There is so much good trail in st george its actually quite difficult to find a bad ride. Check out Utah Mountain Biking - Trails, Information, Repairs pick somewhere and ride. list above is just a few of my fav;s.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway View Post
    Zen, Barrell Trail, Barrell Roll, Hurricane Rim, Church Rocks Broken Mesa

There is so much good trail in st george its actually quite difficult to find a bad ride. Check out Utah Mountain Biking - Trails, Information, Repairs pick somewhere and ride. list above is just a few of my fav;s.
    If you only had time to do two advanced/technical rides, which ones would you choose? I read the UtahMB.com page, but it makes all rides sound good (which is kind of what you said above). But I figure I can get out on Friday and Saturday while the wife and kids are playing splash / splash at the hotel.

Thanks again - BS

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

2 rides

If you only had time to do two advanced/technical rides, which ones would you choose? I read the UtahMB.com page, but it makes all rides sound good (which is kind of what you said above). But I figure I can get out on Friday and Saturday while the wife and kids are playing splash / splash at the hotel.

Thanks again - BS
    1. Zen, Climb the race course to the Barrell Trail, Ride down Bear Claw, then take the road return or Climb back up the BCP. 2-3 hours

2. Barrell Roll with Sidewinder etc.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

I'd rather be biking...

Thanks again - BS
    Dos Mesa's. Climb race course up to "Barrel Ride" UMB calls it barrel trail odd... Down Barrel Ride and head over to Zen trail. A solid 3 hour ride.

Barrel ride is such an awesome trail without even touching the features.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'm curious too about the trails right now. I saw that there might have even been some snow? Is it worth coming down right now?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by quiet451 View Post
    I'm curious too about the trails right now. I saw that there might have even been some snow? Is it worth coming down right now?
    Right now it's pretty damn dark.....

Trails are good, come on down but bring some warm clothes for layering
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by quiet451 View Post
    Hurricane had a flurry of hail in the AM yesterday, but it warmed up nicely by afternoon (mid 50s). I Rode Barrel down in St. George for a few hours yesterday and it was great weather. I wore some tights under my baggies and two loose, lightweight jerseys. I would have been fine without the tights.

The rest of the week is supposed to be warmer - high 60s - and dry. Pretty much perfect riding weather.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Looking for an update on Gooseberry Mesa for a Thanksgiving day ride. Weather looks good but I thought I would check just to make sure.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I called a bike shop in Hurricane today, they said it's good to go.
    I think I will ride gooseberry and JEM on Thursday, Thunder Mountain on Friday.

Hope to see some fellow rider up there !

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Hurricane should be absolutely perfect this weekend. Too bad I will be spending my long weekend out of town at the in-laws.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Does anyone have a good GPS track of the Graphton DH? It looks like it is easy to get turned around on the top of the Mesa.

Eat, Poop, Pedal.
    We are planning a trip to St. George/Hurricane the first week in March. We just happen to be taking down two vehicles with us. We are thinking a day or two of shuttle rides down there. What trails can be or "worth" shuttling down there? We know about Bearclaw Poppi, J.E.M trail, and Grafton. Any others we can shuttle? Thanks!
    2012 Reign.
    2010 Rincon.

i like bikes

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

St. George/Hurricane Trip Planner

Quote Originally Posted by hooverGiant View Post
    We are planning a trip to St. George/Hurricane the first week in March. We just happen to be taking down two vehicles with us. We are thinking a day or two of shuttle rides down there. What trails can be or "worth" shuttling down there? We know about Bearclaw Poppi, J.E.M trail, and Grafton. Any others we can shuttle? Thanks!
    Every trail I have ridden in the area are worth riding as loops. Only a few can be shuttled any save you much time or effort.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by hooverGiant View Post
    Hey Mr. hooverGiant,

We had a great time shuttling those three trails on 2 different trips to St. George. I haven't ridden the following and don't know how much gnar factor you're looking for but two famous shuttle runs there are Lunch Line & Flying Monkey. These videos should take your breath away and give you an idea of what awaits. The first is especially heart stopping:

dirt spineology - YouTube

Utah DH Crew @ Flying Monkey Trail - YouTube

Enjoy your trip!

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Hurricane trip advice

A goop of 6 of us coming from CO March 7-11, decided to change things up from the Moab trip and drive a little further. We have never been down there and done some research and just want to make sure we arent leaving something good out of this trip. We have 3 days to ride.

Are camping at GB Mesa, wondering if anyone can direct me at the mesa to sweet camping spot for us prefereably with zion in the background. I have a PU truck towing a high clearance popup trailer? Do you camp in the valley or can I get on top? this is all assuming the road is good shape.

Trails:
    Day 1: GB Mesa
    Day 2: Zen/Barrel Trail
    Day 3: Up in the air/suggustions? Prefer technical rides, maybe even able to shuttle a trail to get some good DH in but nothing too crazy

Also, is there a prefered way to ride GB Mesa? see a few trials and trying to figure out the best look for technical stuff. Are some trails better one way or the other?

Thanks, Brett
    Last edited by bkreyche; 02-26-2013 at 10:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You can camp right on the mesa. Go to the bathroom, about 4 miles from the turnoff on to the mesa. From there I usually just go a short ways farther west or southwest to camp as almost anywhere is legal. But if you head north you'll have better Zion views.
    For a third day I'd suggest Little Creek Mountain, about 15 miles south but difficult to find so ask if anyone's headed there. Bringing your own fire wood is a good idea as most of the native wood has been burned already.
    There is a church edict against facial hair in Utah so if any in the group has some expect some descrimination. Avoid the hassle by talking to mountain bikers.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I live in SoCal but ride out here 3-4 times a year. My personal favorite is Little Creek Mesa which will be that Mesa to your south across the valley. The trailhead is not the easiest to find but the trails are well marked (at least I think so). We always hit up Gooseberry and the JEM Trail as well but I can honestly say that with the exception of Ice House in Grand Junction, there's nothing I don't like out there so you can't go wrong. We don't do the "shuttle thing" so I can't comment of those areas.

As far as the post above regarding discrimination, I guess I'm missing something. Two people in our group have facial hair and that has never been an issue. Aside from some odd alcohol laws, Utah is just like any other state in the US. Don't worry about being discriminated against. The LDS population is over-whelmingly polite and respectful.

Your Best Friend
    Abegold has no idea what he's talking about. Plenty of mormons with facial hair.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Abegold has no idea what he's talking about. Plenty of mormons with facial hair.
    So obviously you've never had a gas station close at 10 am because you needed service for a muffler leak, then go across the street to get breakfast and not get waited on in 45 minutes or have a waitress tell you, "If you wanna have fun, go to Colorado" or ask someone at a trail head if you're at the trail head and the lady just turn her head and look away. Fortunately most of those events, except the last example were decades ago. The last one 5 years ago.
    But the waitress was correct, now I go to Colorado much more.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bkreyche View Post
    Trails:
    Day 1: GB Mesa
    Day 2: Zen/Barrel Trail
    Day 3: Up in the air/suggustions? Prefer technical rides, maybe even able to shuttle a trail to get some good DH in but nothing too crazy

Also, is there a prefered way to ride GB Mesa? see a few trials and trying to figure out the best look for technical stuff. Are some trails better one way or the other?

Thanks, Brett
    I would ride Zen / Barrel Trail / Bearclaw area the first day. Explore that and then head up to Hurricane to camp that night. If you are going to only ride GB one time my preferred loop is a figure eight.

Start out at the South Rim, Turn right on Hidden Canyon, backtrack 250 yards on the road to get onto North Rim. Go Left on North Rim. Hit Yellow Trail. Go to The Point. Return via South Rim. Turn left to do Hidden Canyon again (yes, it is that good). Turn right at North Rim and finish up on North Rim and the Practice Loop. If you need some more stuff later in the evening you can go ride Windmill / Bowls and Ledges, Gander or Secret. Or you can explore some of the singletrack on Grafton Mesa.

Day 3 head across the highway to Little Creek and spend the day there. If you can try to ride Little Creek with somebody who has been there before. It can be confusing but it is definitely worth being a little lost. Little Creek is basically unlimited stunts if you like that sort of thing. Its a 3,000 acre slickrock bike park.

If you totally run out of stuff to ride with those options (you wont) you can head up to Virgin to ride Guacamole. You will knock out the whole trail in probably under 3 hours but it is a killer trail.

I have heard people who have camped once at GB say they rode the trail in 2.5 hours and then they had nothing else to do. These people obviously didnt know how much trail is up there. You can connect GB to Grafton Mesa via Gander for probably a 60+ mile loop of uninterrupted technical singletrack. There is no reason to run out of stuff to ride. Add in LittleCreek and you have days and days of riding to do.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    hey!! I've read through this entire thread and I still haven't found an answer to my question. Although I did find answers to questions I didn't even know I had.

I am coming out later this week, planning on camping and I don't mind s[pending a bit of money on a place if I can get some nice creature comforts, like a hot shower, WiFi, pool/hot tub. Easy access to restaurants and bars, movie theaters, you know, stuff to do when I'm not riding my bike. Anyhow, I've seen some of the RV parks, I'll be tent camping, and they would suit my needs, just wondering if there are any you would recommend over any other, especially regarding location. Temple View in St George seems to be the best from the view I have, but hard to tell. Will St George be too far of a drive each day to get to the trail heads of various trails? Any other suggestions? I have a week to hang out and would like to ride every day.

Thanks for any advice!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Is there something special scheduled around Hurricane next weekend ? (03/23-24) ?
    There is no room available anywhere between St George and Hurricane.....

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by abegold View Post
    So obviously you've never had a gas station close at 10 am because you needed service for a muffler leak, then go across the street to get breakfast and not get waited on in 45 minutes or have a waitress tell you, "If you wanna have fun, go to Colorado" or ask someone at a trail head if you're at the trail head and the lady just turn her head and look away. Fortunately most of those events, except the last example were decades ago. The last one 5 years ago.
    But the waitress was correct, now I go to Colorado much more.
    You sir are a total moron. Better to keep your mouth closed and have others think you are an idiot than chime in and remove all doubt. You are incorrect about camping on Goose. It is limited to EXISTING SITES ONLY. Its aZZholes like you who rally out and make new spots everywhere that will ruin it for everyone else. Your comments about LDS are laughable and I'd giggle if I didn't know you were serious and such a misinformed goofball.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast