Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 150 of 535
  1. #101
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rock dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    673
    Quote Originally Posted by outlierrn View Post
    Am I carzy to think about riding Hurricane area the last week of June? I'm used to hot weather.
    There's nothing crazy about riding here in the last week in June. You just have to get up early and beat the heat and make sure you drink "LOTS" of water.

  2. #102
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by abegold View Post
    It should be toasty but if that's not to your liking head to Thunder Mountain (7000'-8200'), Virgin River Rim Trail (9,300'), Navajo Lake or Brianhead (11,301'). Some day I'll get to Fish Lake and the Mytoge Mtn singletrack. Skyline Drive again, someday.
    Thanks for the ideas. My plan was 2 days in hurricane and a day hiking in brice, but I may flip that, Thunder mtn looks like a sweet ride on youtube.

  3. #103
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,770
    Quote Originally Posted by outlierrn View Post
    Thanks for the ideas. My plan was 2 days in hurricane and a day hiking in brice, but I may flip that, Thunder mtn looks like a sweet ride on youtube.
    No reason not to ride arund Hurricane... I ride Gooseberry and Little Creek June, July and August but I am on trail well before 7AM and finished by 10:30 latest. That's 3-1/2 hours of good quality riding time and Igenerally have the mesa(s) all to myself.

    Thunder MTN is nice but it alone is certainly not a full day worth of riding. It's a fairly short ride and I'm hitting it up tomorrow and will be doing two loops of it to make it worth the drive from Virgin for a day. An good alternative is ride Thunder MTN early and then go hike Bryce Canyon. We;ve done that several times and its a good day.

    The Virgin River Rim Trail is nice and can be done several different ways. We ride it from Strawberry point and do the loop around Navajo Lake (elevation is 9000 BTW, not 11,000+...) and back to Strawberry Point and that's a very solid ride. Or..... start at Cascade falls and do a complete loop of Navajo lake and then back to Cascade Falls and thats a dandy ride a well and will take you up close to 10,000.

    Rainbow Rim (North Rim of Grand Canyon) is sweet and you're flirting with 8000 feet most of the ride. We ride it as an out and back and the views of the Grand Canyon are pretty damn sweet.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

  4. #104
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,939
    Rode JEM in the morning and Hurricane Rim in the evening yesterday... will be saving Goulds for the next trip here. Great riding wonderful views puffy white Cotton clouds all day long. Love it here in Hurricane. Thanks SlowerthanSnot for the beer!

  5. #105
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    No reason not to ride arund Hurricane... I ride Gooseberry and Little Creek June, July and August but I am on trail well before 7AM and finished by 10:30 latest. That's 3-1/2 hours of good quality riding time and Igenerally have the mesa(s) all to myself.

    Thunder MTN is nice but it alone is certainly not a full day worth of riding. It's a fairly short ride and I'm hitting it up tomorrow and will be doing two loops of it to make it worth the drive from Virgin for a day. An good alternative is ride Thunder MTN early and then go hike Bryce Canyon. We;ve done that several times and its a good day.

    The Virgin River Rim Trail is nice and can be done several different ways. We ride it from Strawberry point and do the loop around Navajo Lake (elevation is 9000 BTW, not 11,000+...) and back to Strawberry Point and that's a very solid ride. Or..... start at Cascade falls and do a complete loop of Navajo lake and then back to Cascade Falls and thats a dandy ride a well and will take you up close to 10,000.

    Rainbow Rim (North Rim of Grand Canyon) is sweet and you're flirting with 8000 feet most of the ride. We ride it as an out and back and the views of the Grand Canyon are pretty damn sweet.
    Well, I work mostly evenings and nights, so 7AM click-ins are not really my thing, maybe by the end of my vacation, but not at the beginning. Plus I'll be rocking sea level lungs. I like the idea of a double loop of thunder mtn, Can you give me your recommendation for direction and acess pt?

  6. #106
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,770
    Quote Originally Posted by outlierrn View Post
    Well, I work mostly evenings and nights, so 7AM click-ins are not really my thing, maybe by the end of my vacation, but not at the beginning. Plus I'll be rocking sea level lungs. I like the idea of a double loop of thunder mtn, Can you give me your recommendation for direction and acess pt?

    I park at the lower Red Canyon trailhead and ride up the paved bie trail to the Coyote trailheald dirtroad make a right and ride the dirt road to teh Coyote Hollow trailhead and then Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! x 2.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

  7. #107
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    I park at the lower Red Canyon trailhead and ride up the paved bie trail to the Coyote trailheald dirtroad make a right and ride the dirt road to teh Coyote Hollow trailhead and then Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! x 2.
    sounds good, and thanks. What do recon the mileage and elevation gain?

  8. #108
    mtbr member
    Reputation: yourideit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    275
    My little car made it up to guacamole yesterday. It didn't like it and I would have turned around if there was that option. How is gooseberry in comparison?
    "if you can't be good, be good at it."

  9. #109
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rock dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    673
    Quote Originally Posted by yourideit View Post
    My little car made it up to guacamole yesterday. It didn't like it and I would have turned around if there was that option. How is gooseberry in comparison?
    The last 1/2mile of the road to Guacamole is much worst than anything on the way to Gooseberry.
    I passed an old school bus making its way up there last weekend, so Iím sure your little car will have no problem.
    Have a great ride.

  10. #110
    humpty dumpty
    Reputation: lmsweatherman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    18
    Zen is a great fun flow for technical. Glad to see it on your list. I would do the JEM/Hurricane/Goulds as another ride after Goose - not enough to make a day of those.

  11. #111
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    11

    Planning Ahead

    Thinking of a Dad's MTB road trip from central coast of California to Gooseberry Mesa for a few days of riding. Plan is to dry camp in an RV along the road before reaching the parking lot. Due to family and kid sport commitments, we are looking at an early November time frame. I've read this entire thread (great info, thanks for making sticky, and thanks for all the great submissions), I understand the access is based on rain/snow. Understand that each year is different, but what are the general weather patterns for early November? Is rain/snow definitely likely? Or is dry but cold weather the norm? Thanks for the help.

  12. #112
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,770
    Quote Originally Posted by got_beer View Post
    Thinking of a Dad's MTB road trip from central coast of California to Gooseberry Mesa for a few days of riding. Plan is to dry camp in an RV along the road before reaching the parking lot. Due to family and kid sport commitments, we are looking at an early November time frame. I've read this entire thread (great info, thanks for making sticky, and thanks for all the great submissions), I understand the access is based on rain/snow. Understand that each year is different, but what are the general weather patterns for early November? Is rain/snow definitely likely? Or is dry but cold weather the norm? Thanks for the help.
    Generally the early Nov period is a great time to ride here. Our weather that time of year is typically mild temps and dry but nothing is guranteed. How big's the rig?
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

  13. #113
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    11
    26 foot travel trailer pulled by 4x4 F350. I'll post up when the plans are settled. I would be honored to repay the insight and knowledge you have presented here through the offering of a delicious, cold, hoped beverage from our homeland.

  14. #114
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rock dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    673
    Quote Originally Posted by got_beer View Post
    26 foot travel trailer pulled by 4x4 F350. I'll post up when the plans are settled. I would be honored to repay the insight and knowledge you have presented here through the offering of a delicious, cold, hoped beverage from our homeland.
    Sounds like a good time

  15. #115
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,770
    Quote Originally Posted by got_beer View Post
    26 foot travel trailer pulled by 4x4 F350. I'll post up when the plans are settled. I would be honored to repay the insight and knowledge you have presented here through the offering of a delicious, cold, hoped beverage from our homeland.
    Thats a good set up for Goose and Little Creek camping. There are several good places on the road into goose where you can set up a trailer that size and have a nice camp.

    It doesn't take a helluvalot to get me to ride up on Goose PM me when your plans firm up.

    Couple more question? How long do you plan on being in the area and what are the ages and skill levels of the group?
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

  16. #116
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    11
    "How long do you plan on being in the area and what are the ages and skill levels of the group?"

    Debating between 2-3 days on the Mesa. How far away are some of the other trails discussed in this thread (can we reasonably keep base camp here and day trip out to some other rides?). Duration has not yet been decided, we can be convinced to stay.

    Skill levels are advanced; we don't huck cliffs, but we ride regular, have equipped all-mountain/trail bikes, and are comfortable with technical trials. More important, we know when to get off and walk. We call this exercising a different muscle group. Some of us are old farts, and the rest of us are on our way. Ages range from 40 to 56.

  17. #117
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rock dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    673
    You will have no problem getting to any of the other trails from your base camp. You can get to just about every great trail in a little over 1hr drive time. That includes all the trails around St. George.
    Little Creek is a must ride and it's really close, about 45min away on dirt roads.
    You'll have a great time!
    Keep us posted when your going.

  18. #118
    I didn't do it
    Reputation: Mookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    9,191
    We're thinking about coming down for a trip in the Hurricane, St George area later this year. Reading about some of these trails is definitely feeding the stoke. Is there a good map for the area trails? Maybe something like a Latitude 40 style map?

  19. #119
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rock dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    673
    Go here, The Skid Map
    or here, Utah Mountain Biking - Trails, Information, Repairs
    When you get here the LBS have great maps.

  20. #120
    Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,145

    Good job! Here is the beta!

    Quote Originally Posted by nwbikur View Post
    We're thinking about coming down for a trip in the Hurricane, St George area later this year. Reading about some of these trails is definitely feeding the stoke. Is there a good map for the area trails? Maybe something like a Latitude 40 style map?
    Hi nwbikur,

    We've enjoyed two wonderful week long vacations using this website for all needed information:
    Utah Mountain Biking - Trails, Information, Repairs

    You can use that website to purchase the following paper map we carried on all our rides. We bought it at one of the local bike shops in St. George:
    AdventureMaps.net TrailMap of St. George, Hurricane & Springdale, UT
    St George and Springdale UT Trail Adventure Map and Guide- Mountain Biking, Hiking

    We can't wait to go back for another wonderful dose of all the great trails they offer!

    Enjoy your trip!

    Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

  21. #121
    I didn't do it
    Reputation: Mookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    9,191
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock dude View Post
    Go here, The Skid Map
    or here, Utah Mountain Biking - Trails, Information, Repairs
    When you get here the LBS have great maps.
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelsnead View Post
    Hi nwbikur,

    We've enjoyed two wonderful week long vacations using this website for all needed information:
    Utah Mountain Biking - Trails, Information, Repairs

    You can use that website to purchase the following paper map we carried on all our rides. We bought it at one of the local bike shops in St. George:
    AdventureMaps.net TrailMap of St. George, Hurricane & Springdale, UT
    St George and Springdale UT Trail Adventure Map and Guide- Mountain Biking, Hiking

    We can't wait to go back for another wonderful dose of all the great trails they offer!

    Enjoy your trip!

    Michael
    These look like great resources. Thanks guys. Can't wait to ride these trails. We do Moab a lot but I'm looking forward to changing things up this year.

  22. #122
    mtbr member
    Reputation: roguebuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    216
    I'll be in George for two nights. Hoping to get a ride in at Grafton tomorrow (Friday) on my way back from doing business in the park.

    Any takers? PM me with a Phone# if you'd like to shuttle Grafton tomorrow evening... weather pending. I'll do it solo as a loop if I don't get any takers... which is a blast on a Demo 7 set up 1x9.

  23. #123
    mtbr member
    Reputation: roguebuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    216
    ^^^ It is time to work in George again. I should be there Tuesday through Friday. I'd like to squeeze some riding in Wed or Thurs late afternoon. Due to owning only 1 bike, I typically stray away from the pedal trails. Grafton and Flying Monkey are favorites of mine.

    PM with a phone # if you'd like to shuttle something.

  24. #124
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    437

    Good Beginner / Kid Friendly Rides??

    Was planning on going to Moab this weekend, but looks like we will travel Southwest instead, since it looks to be 15F warmer on the weekend. I have been out to St. George / Hurricane a couple of times before, I rode a lot of trails, but it has been several years ago, and I only remember a couple of names (JEM, Bearclaw, C Trail, GB Mesa, Red Canyon). But now I will have the family with me, and looking for some good trails to try with them. My kids are young (2 and 4), but we are lucky to have singletrack out the back door, so they ride a lot.

    But are JEM and Bearclaw some good rides to take them on? Anything else that would be better? Any advice would be really appreciated.

    Thanks - BS

  25. #125
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,918

    Kids and Bikes

    2 is pretty young. I assume you are riding with a trailer and or tag along bike?

    Bear Claw poppy and the Jem are probably your best options for Dirt trails. The bottom couple miles of BCP are pretty wide and bike trailer friendly. The Jem climbs a dirt road that would be good, but the single track is twisty and narrow and probably less then ideal for a trailer.

    With kids that young I think the paved bike paths in st George are a better option. Then you can hit the trails after and ride whatever you want.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

    http://www.vrbo.com/392904

    PM me

  26. #126
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    437
    Thanks for the reply.

    Yeah, the two year old will mostly be in an iBert (steerer tube mounted seat), but I'll strap his Strider bike to my pack, and my daughter will be in my custom made towing system on the uphills, and ride by herself on the downhills. If you know the Round Valley trails of Park City, we have ridden all of these in this configuration, and others in Fruita / Crested Butte / Moab, etc. My kids get bored with asphalt, and we ride singletrack a lot (2-3 times a week), so we aren't the average tourist bikers. I just want some smooth, buff and flowy trails for them to ride. But we have three days, and would like to find another trail that we could all ride.

    Then I was looking to Rhythm and Blue and Zen trail when I get some me time. Any other suggestions for some quick 1-2 hour advanced loops.

    Thanks again - BS

  27. #127
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by BullSCit View Post
    Was planning on going to Moab this weekend, but looks like we will travel Southwest instead, since it looks to be 15F warmer on the weekend. I have been out to St. George / Hurricane a couple of times before, I rode a lot of trails, but it has been several years ago, and I only remember a couple of names (JEM, Bearclaw, C Trail, GB Mesa, Red Canyon). But now I will have the family with me, and looking for some good trails to try with them. My kids are young (2 and 4), but we are lucky to have singletrack out the back door, so they ride a lot.

    But are JEM and Bearclaw some good rides to take them on? Anything else that would be better? Any advice would be really appreciated.

    Thanks - BS
    If you decide to ride in Cedar City, Three Peaks has a great 6 mile loop that will be easy on the kids with not a lot of climbing. If you do come there PM me and I'll tell you which loops to do.

  28. #128
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,918

    Advanced.

    Zen, Barrell Trail, Barrell Roll, Hurricane Rim, Church Rocks Broken Mesa

    There is so much good trail in st george its actually quite difficult to find a bad ride. Check out Utah Mountain Biking - Trails, Information, Repairs pick somewhere and ride. list above is just a few of my fav;s.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

    http://www.vrbo.com/392904

    PM me

  29. #129
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    437
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway View Post
    Zen, Barrell Trail, Barrell Roll, Hurricane Rim, Church Rocks Broken Mesa

    There is so much good trail in st george its actually quite difficult to find a bad ride. Check out Utah Mountain Biking - Trails, Information, Repairs pick somewhere and ride. list above is just a few of my fav;s.
    If you only had time to do two advanced/technical rides, which ones would you choose? I read the UtahMB.com page, but it makes all rides sound good (which is kind of what you said above). But I figure I can get out on Friday and Saturday while the wife and kids are playing splash / splash at the hotel.

    Thanks again - BS

  30. #130
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,918

    2 rides

    Quote Originally Posted by BullSCit View Post
    If you only had time to do two advanced/technical rides, which ones would you choose? I read the UtahMB.com page, but it makes all rides sound good (which is kind of what you said above). But I figure I can get out on Friday and Saturday while the wife and kids are playing splash / splash at the hotel.

    Thanks again - BS
    1. Zen, Climb the race course to the Barrell Trail, Ride down Bear Claw, then take the road return or Climb back up the BCP. 2-3 hours

    2. Barrell Roll with Sidewinder etc.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

    http://www.vrbo.com/392904

    PM me

  31. #131
    I'd rather be biking...
    Reputation: shelbster15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    937
    Quote Originally Posted by BullSCit View Post
    If you only had time to do two advanced/technical rides, which ones would you choose? I read the UtahMB.com page, but it makes all rides sound good (which is kind of what you said above). But I figure I can get out on Friday and Saturday while the wife and kids are playing splash / splash at the hotel.

    Thanks again - BS
    Dos Mesa's. Climb race course up to "Barrel Ride" UMB calls it barrel trail odd... Down Barrel Ride and head over to Zen trail. A solid 3 hour ride.

    Barrel ride is such an awesome trail without even touching the features.

  32. #132
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    9
    I'm curious too about the trails right now. I saw that there might have even been some snow? Is it worth coming down right now?

  33. #133
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,770
    Quote Originally Posted by quiet451 View Post
    I'm curious too about the trails right now. I saw that there might have even been some snow? Is it worth coming down right now?
    Right now it's pretty damn dark.....

    Trails are good, come on down but bring some warm clothes for layering
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

  34. #134
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by quiet451 View Post
    I'm curious too about the trails right now. I saw that there might have even been some snow? Is it worth coming down right now?
    Hurricane had a flurry of hail in the AM yesterday, but it warmed up nicely by afternoon (mid 50s). I Rode Barrel down in St. George for a few hours yesterday and it was great weather. I wore some tights under my baggies and two loose, lightweight jerseys. I would have been fine without the tights.

    The rest of the week is supposed to be warmer - high 60s - and dry. Pretty much perfect riding weather.

  35. #135
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    97
    Looking for an update on Gooseberry Mesa for a Thanksgiving day ride. Weather looks good but I thought I would check just to make sure.

  36. #136
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    21
    I called a bike shop in Hurricane today, they said it's good to go.
    I think I will ride gooseberry and JEM on Thursday, Thunder Mountain on Friday.

    Hope to see some fellow rider up there !

  37. #137
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    156
    Hurricane should be absolutely perfect this weekend. Too bad I will be spending my long weekend out of town at the in-laws.

  38. #138
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    97
    Does anyone have a good GPS track of the Graphton DH? It looks like it is easy to get turned around on the top of the Mesa.

  39. #139
    Eat, Poop, Pedal.
    Reputation: hooverGiant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    109
    We are planning a trip to St. George/Hurricane the first week in March. We just happen to be taking down two vehicles with us. We are thinking a day or two of shuttle rides down there. What trails can be or "worth" shuttling down there? We know about Bearclaw Poppi, J.E.M trail, and Grafton. Any others we can shuttle? Thanks!
    2012 Reign.
    2010 Rincon.

    i like bikes

  40. #140
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307

    St. George/Hurricane Trip Planner

    Quote Originally Posted by hooverGiant View Post
    We are planning a trip to St. George/Hurricane the first week in March. We just happen to be taking down two vehicles with us. We are thinking a day or two of shuttle rides down there. What trails can be or "worth" shuttling down there? We know about Bearclaw Poppi, J.E.M trail, and Grafton. Any others we can shuttle? Thanks!
    Every trail I have ridden in the area are worth riding as loops. Only a few can be shuttled any save you much time or effort.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  41. #141
    Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,145
    Quote Originally Posted by hooverGiant View Post
    We are planning a trip to St. George/Hurricane the first week in March. We just happen to be taking down two vehicles with us. We are thinking a day or two of shuttle rides down there. What trails can be or "worth" shuttling down there? We know about Bearclaw Poppi, J.E.M trail, and Grafton. Any others we can shuttle? Thanks!
    Hey Mr. hooverGiant,

    We had a great time shuttling those three trails on 2 different trips to St. George. I haven't ridden the following and don't know how much gnar factor you're looking for but two famous shuttle runs there are Lunch Line & Flying Monkey. These videos should take your breath away and give you an idea of what awaits. The first is especially heart stopping:

    dirt spineology - YouTube

    Utah DH Crew @ Flying Monkey Trail - YouTube

    Enjoy your trip!

    Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

  42. #142
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    32

    Hurricane trip advice

    A goop of 6 of us coming from CO March 7-11, decided to change things up from the Moab trip and drive a little further. We have never been down there and done some research and just want to make sure we arent leaving something good out of this trip. We have 3 days to ride.

    Are camping at GB Mesa, wondering if anyone can direct me at the mesa to sweet camping spot for us prefereably with zion in the background. I have a PU truck towing a high clearance popup trailer? Do you camp in the valley or can I get on top? this is all assuming the road is good shape.

    Trails:
    Day 1: GB Mesa
    Day 2: Zen/Barrel Trail
    Day 3: Up in the air/suggustions? Prefer technical rides, maybe even able to shuttle a trail to get some good DH in but nothing too crazy

    Also, is there a prefered way to ride GB Mesa? see a few trials and trying to figure out the best look for technical stuff. Are some trails better one way or the other?

    Thanks, Brett
    Last edited by bkreyche; 02-26-2013 at 10:58 AM.

  43. #143
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,369
    You can camp right on the mesa. Go to the bathroom, about 4 miles from the turnoff on to the mesa. From there I usually just go a short ways farther west or southwest to camp as almost anywhere is legal. But if you head north you'll have better Zion views.
    For a third day I'd suggest Little Creek Mountain, about 15 miles south but difficult to find so ask if anyone's headed there. Bringing your own fire wood is a good idea as most of the native wood has been burned already.
    There is a church edict against facial hair in Utah so if any in the group has some expect some descrimination. Avoid the hassle by talking to mountain bikers.
    agmtb

  44. #144
    mtbr member
    Reputation: k2rider1964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,758
    I live in SoCal but ride out here 3-4 times a year. My personal favorite is Little Creek Mesa which will be that Mesa to your south across the valley. The trailhead is not the easiest to find but the trails are well marked (at least I think so). We always hit up Gooseberry and the JEM Trail as well but I can honestly say that with the exception of Ice House in Grand Junction, there's nothing I don't like out there so you can't go wrong. We don't do the "shuttle thing" so I can't comment of those areas.

    As far as the post above regarding discrimination, I guess I'm missing something. Two people in our group have facial hair and that has never been an issue. Aside from some odd alcohol laws, Utah is just like any other state in the US. Don't worry about being discriminated against. The LDS population is over-whelmingly polite and respectful.

  45. #145
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,083
    Abegold has no idea what he's talking about. Plenty of mormons with facial hair.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

  46. #146
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,369
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Abegold has no idea what he's talking about. Plenty of mormons with facial hair.
    So obviously you've never had a gas station close at 10 am because you needed service for a muffler leak, then go across the street to get breakfast and not get waited on in 45 minutes or have a waitress tell you, "If you wanna have fun, go to Colorado" or ask someone at a trail head if you're at the trail head and the lady just turn her head and look away. Fortunately most of those events, except the last example were decades ago. The last one 5 years ago.
    But the waitress was correct, now I go to Colorado much more.
    agmtb

  47. #147
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by bkreyche View Post
    Trails:
    Day 1: GB Mesa
    Day 2: Zen/Barrel Trail
    Day 3: Up in the air/suggustions? Prefer technical rides, maybe even able to shuttle a trail to get some good DH in but nothing too crazy

    Also, is there a prefered way to ride GB Mesa? see a few trials and trying to figure out the best look for technical stuff. Are some trails better one way or the other?

    Thanks, Brett
    I would ride Zen / Barrel Trail / Bearclaw area the first day. Explore that and then head up to Hurricane to camp that night. If you are going to only ride GB one time my preferred loop is a figure eight.

    Start out at the South Rim, Turn right on Hidden Canyon, backtrack 250 yards on the road to get onto North Rim. Go Left on North Rim. Hit Yellow Trail. Go to The Point. Return via South Rim. Turn left to do Hidden Canyon again (yes, it is that good). Turn right at North Rim and finish up on North Rim and the Practice Loop. If you need some more stuff later in the evening you can go ride Windmill / Bowls and Ledges, Gander or Secret. Or you can explore some of the singletrack on Grafton Mesa.

    Day 3 head across the highway to Little Creek and spend the day there. If you can try to ride Little Creek with somebody who has been there before. It can be confusing but it is definitely worth being a little lost. Little Creek is basically unlimited stunts if you like that sort of thing. Its a 3,000 acre slickrock bike park.

    If you totally run out of stuff to ride with those options (you wont) you can head up to Virgin to ride Guacamole. You will knock out the whole trail in probably under 3 hours but it is a killer trail.

    I have heard people who have camped once at GB say they rode the trail in 2.5 hours and then they had nothing else to do. These people obviously didnt know how much trail is up there. You can connect GB to Grafton Mesa via Gander for probably a 60+ mile loop of uninterrupted technical singletrack. There is no reason to run out of stuff to ride. Add in LittleCreek and you have days and days of riding to do.

  48. #148
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    355
    hey!! I've read through this entire thread and I still haven't found an answer to my question. Although I did find answers to questions I didn't even know I had.

    I am coming out later this week, planning on camping and I don't mind s[pending a bit of money on a place if I can get some nice creature comforts, like a hot shower, WiFi, pool/hot tub. Easy access to restaurants and bars, movie theaters, you know, stuff to do when I'm not riding my bike. Anyhow, I've seen some of the RV parks, I'll be tent camping, and they would suit my needs, just wondering if there are any you would recommend over any other, especially regarding location. Temple View in St George seems to be the best from the view I have, but hard to tell. Will St George be too far of a drive each day to get to the trail heads of various trails? Any other suggestions? I have a week to hang out and would like to ride every day.

    Thanks for any advice!!

  49. #149
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    21
    Is there something special scheduled around Hurricane next weekend ? (03/23-24) ?
    There is no room available anywhere between St George and Hurricane.....

  50. #150
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,770
    Quote Originally Posted by abegold View Post
    So obviously you've never had a gas station close at 10 am because you needed service for a muffler leak, then go across the street to get breakfast and not get waited on in 45 minutes or have a waitress tell you, "If you wanna have fun, go to Colorado" or ask someone at a trail head if you're at the trail head and the lady just turn her head and look away. Fortunately most of those events, except the last example were decades ago. The last one 5 years ago.
    But the waitress was correct, now I go to Colorado much more.
    You sir are a total moron. Better to keep your mouth closed and have others think you are an idiot than chime in and remove all doubt. You are incorrect about camping on Goose. It is limited to EXISTING SITES ONLY. Its aZZholes like you who rally out and make new spots everywhere that will ruin it for everyone else. Your comments about LDS are laughable and I'd giggle if I didn't know you were serious and such a misinformed goofball.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •