Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by outlierrn View Post
    Am I carzy to think about riding Hurricane area the last week of June? I'm used to hot weather.
    There's nothing crazy about riding here in the last week in June. You just have to get up early and beat the heat and make sure you drink "LOTS" of water.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by abegold View Post
    It should be toasty but if that's not to your liking head to Thunder Mountain (7000'-8200'), Virgin River Rim Trail (9,300'), Navajo Lake or Brianhead (11,301'). Some day I'll get to Fish Lake and the Mytoge Mtn singletrack. Skyline Drive again, someday.
    Thanks for the ideas. My plan was 2 days in hurricane and a day hiking in brice, but I may flip that, Thunder mtn looks like a sweet ride on youtube.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks for the ideas. My plan was 2 days in hurricane and a day hiking in brice, but I may flip that, Thunder mtn looks like a sweet ride on youtube.
    No reason not to ride arund Hurricane... I ride Gooseberry and Little Creek June, July and August but I am on trail well before 7AM and finished by 10:30 latest. That's 3-1/2 hours of good quality riding time and Igenerally have the mesa(s) all to myself.

Thunder MTN is nice but it alone is certainly not a full day worth of riding. It's a fairly short ride and I'm hitting it up tomorrow and will be doing two loops of it to make it worth the drive from Virgin for a day. An good alternative is ride Thunder MTN early and then go hike Bryce Canyon. We;ve done that several times and its a good day.

The Virgin River Rim Trail is nice and can be done several different ways. We ride it from Strawberry point and do the loop around Navajo Lake (elevation is 9000 BTW, not 11,000+...) and back to Strawberry Point and that's a very solid ride. Or..... start at Cascade falls and do a complete loop of Navajo lake and then back to Cascade Falls and thats a dandy ride a well and will take you up close to 10,000.

Rainbow Rim (North Rim of Grand Canyon) is sweet and you're flirting with 8000 feet most of the ride. We ride it as an out and back and the views of the Grand Canyon are pretty damn sweet.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

banned
    Sep 2007
    Rode JEM in the morning and Hurricane Rim in the evening yesterday... will be saving Goulds for the next trip here. Great riding wonderful views puffy white Cotton clouds all day long. Love it here in Hurricane. Thanks SlowerthanSnot for the beer!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    No reason not to ride arund Hurricane... I ride Gooseberry and Little Creek June, July and August but I am on trail well before 7AM and finished by 10:30 latest. That's 3-1/2 hours of good quality riding time and Igenerally have the mesa(s) all to myself.

Thunder MTN is nice but it alone is certainly not a full day worth of riding. It's a fairly short ride and I'm hitting it up tomorrow and will be doing two loops of it to make it worth the drive from Virgin for a day. An good alternative is ride Thunder MTN early and then go hike Bryce Canyon. We;ve done that several times and its a good day.

The Virgin River Rim Trail is nice and can be done several different ways. We ride it from Strawberry point and do the loop around Navajo Lake (elevation is 9000 BTW, not 11,000+...) and back to Strawberry Point and that's a very solid ride. Or..... start at Cascade falls and do a complete loop of Navajo lake and then back to Cascade Falls and thats a dandy ride a well and will take you up close to 10,000.

Rainbow Rim (North Rim of Grand Canyon) is sweet and you're flirting with 8000 feet most of the ride. We ride it as an out and back and the views of the Grand Canyon are pretty damn sweet.
    Well, I work mostly evenings and nights, so 7AM click-ins are not really my thing, maybe by the end of my vacation, but not at the beginning. Plus I'll be rocking sea level lungs. I like the idea of a double loop of thunder mtn, Can you give me your recommendation for direction and acess pt?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Well, I work mostly evenings and nights, so 7AM click-ins are not really my thing, maybe by the end of my vacation, but not at the beginning. Plus I'll be rocking sea level lungs. I like the idea of a double loop of thunder mtn, Can you give me your recommendation for direction and acess pt?

I park at the lower Red Canyon trailhead and ride up the paved bie trail to the Coyote trailheald dirtroad make a right and ride the dirt road to teh Coyote Hollow trailhead and then Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! x 2.
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    I park at the lower Red Canyon trailhead and ride up the paved bie trail to the Coyote trailheald dirtroad make a right and ride the dirt road to teh Coyote Hollow trailhead and then Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! x 2.
    sounds good, and thanks. What do recon the mileage and elevation gain?

mtbr member
    My little car made it up to guacamole yesterday. It didn't like it and I would have turned around if there was that option. How is gooseberry in comparison?
    "if you can't be good, be good at it."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yourideit View Post
    My little car made it up to guacamole yesterday. It didn't like it and I would have turned around if there was that option. How is gooseberry in comparison?
    The last 1/2mile of the road to Guacamole is much worst than anything on the way to Gooseberry.
    I passed an old school bus making its way up there last weekend, so Iím sure your little car will have no problem.
    Have a great ride.

humpty dumpty
    Zen is a great fun flow for technical. Glad to see it on your list. I would do the JEM/Hurricane/Goulds as another ride after Goose - not enough to make a day of those.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Planning Ahead

Thinking of a Dad's MTB road trip from central coast of California to Gooseberry Mesa for a few days of riding. Plan is to dry camp in an RV along the road before reaching the parking lot. Due to family and kid sport commitments, we are looking at an early November time frame. I've read this entire thread (great info, thanks for making sticky, and thanks for all the great submissions), I understand the access is based on rain/snow. Understand that each year is different, but what are the general weather patterns for early November? Is rain/snow definitely likely? Or is dry but cold weather the norm? Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by got_beer View Post
    Thinking of a Dad's MTB road trip from central coast of California to Gooseberry Mesa for a few days of riding. Plan is to dry camp in an RV along the road before reaching the parking lot. Due to family and kid sport commitments, we are looking at an early November time frame. I've read this entire thread (great info, thanks for making sticky, and thanks for all the great submissions), I understand the access is based on rain/snow. Understand that each year is different, but what are the general weather patterns for early November? Is rain/snow definitely likely? Or is dry but cold weather the norm? Thanks for the help.
    Generally the early Nov period is a great time to ride here. Our weather that time of year is typically mild temps and dry but nothing is guranteed. How big's the rig?
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    26 foot travel trailer pulled by 4x4 F350. I'll post up when the plans are settled. I would be honored to repay the insight and knowledge you have presented here through the offering of a delicious, cold, hoped beverage from our homeland.

mtbr member
    26 foot travel trailer pulled by 4x4 F350. I'll post up when the plans are settled. I would be honored to repay the insight and knowledge you have presented here through the offering of a delicious, cold, hoped beverage from our homeland.
    Sounds like a good time

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thats a good set up for Goose and Little Creek camping. There are several good places on the road into goose where you can set up a trailer that size and have a nice camp.

It doesn't take a helluvalot to get me to ride up on Goose PM me when your plans firm up.

Couple more question? How long do you plan on being in the area and what are the ages and skill levels of the group?
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    "How long do you plan on being in the area and what are the ages and skill levels of the group?"

Debating between 2-3 days on the Mesa. How far away are some of the other trails discussed in this thread (can we reasonably keep base camp here and day trip out to some other rides?). Duration has not yet been decided, we can be convinced to stay.

Skill levels are advanced; we don't huck cliffs, but we ride regular, have equipped all-mountain/trail bikes, and are comfortable with technical trials. More important, we know when to get off and walk. We call this exercising a different muscle group. Some of us are old farts, and the rest of us are on our way. Ages range from 40 to 56.

mtbr member
    You will have no problem getting to any of the other trails from your base camp. You can get to just about every great trail in a little over 1hr drive time. That includes all the trails around St. George.
    Little Creek is a must ride and it's really close, about 45min away on dirt roads.
    You'll have a great time!
    Keep us posted when your going.

I didn't do it
    We're thinking about coming down for a trip in the Hurricane, St George area later this year. Reading about some of these trails is definitely feeding the stoke. Is there a good map for the area trails? Maybe something like a Latitude 40 style map?

mtbr member
    Go here, The Skid Map
    or here, Utah Mountain Biking - Trails, Information, Repairs
    When you get here the LBS have great maps.

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005

Good job! Here is the beta!

Quote Originally Posted by nwbikur View Post
    We're thinking about coming down for a trip in the Hurricane, St George area later this year. Reading about some of these trails is definitely feeding the stoke. Is there a good map for the area trails? Maybe something like a Latitude 40 style map?
    Hi nwbikur,

We've enjoyed two wonderful week long vacations using this website for all needed information:
    Utah Mountain Biking - Trails, Information, Repairs

You can use that website to purchase the following paper map we carried on all our rides. We bought it at one of the local bike shops in St. George:
    AdventureMaps.net TrailMap of St. George, Hurricane & Springdale, UT
    St George and Springdale UT Trail Adventure Map and Guide- Mountain Biking, Hiking

We can't wait to go back for another wonderful dose of all the great trails they offer!

Enjoy your trip!

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock dude View Post
    Go here, The Skid Map
    or here, Utah Mountain Biking - Trails, Information, Repairs
    When you get here the LBS have great maps.
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelsnead View Post
    Hi nwbikur,

We've enjoyed two wonderful week long vacations using this website for all needed information:
    Utah Mountain Biking - Trails, Information, Repairs

You can use that website to purchase the following paper map we carried on all our rides. We bought it at one of the local bike shops in St. George:
    AdventureMaps.net TrailMap of St. George, Hurricane & Springdale, UT
    St George and Springdale UT Trail Adventure Map and Guide- Mountain Biking, Hiking

We can't wait to go back for another wonderful dose of all the great trails they offer!

Enjoy your trip!

Michael
    These look like great resources. Thanks guys. Can't wait to ride these trails. We do Moab a lot but I'm looking forward to changing things up this year.

mtbr member
    I'll be in George for two nights. Hoping to get a ride in at Grafton tomorrow (Friday) on my way back from doing business in the park.

Any takers? PM me with a Phone# if you'd like to shuttle Grafton tomorrow evening... weather pending. I'll do it solo as a loop if I don't get any takers... which is a blast on a Demo 7 set up 1x9.

mtbr member
    ^^^ It is time to work in George again. I should be there Tuesday through Friday. I'd like to squeeze some riding in Wed or Thurs late afternoon. Due to owning only 1 bike, I typically stray away from the pedal trails. Grafton and Flying Monkey are favorites of mine.

PM with a phone # if you'd like to shuttle something.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Good Beginner / Kid Friendly Rides??

Was planning on going to Moab this weekend, but looks like we will travel Southwest instead, since it looks to be 15F warmer on the weekend. I have been out to St. George / Hurricane a couple of times before, I rode a lot of trails, but it has been several years ago, and I only remember a couple of names (JEM, Bearclaw, C Trail, GB Mesa, Red Canyon). But now I will have the family with me, and looking for some good trails to try with them. My kids are young (2 and 4), but we are lucky to have singletrack out the back door, so they ride a lot.

But are JEM and Bearclaw some good rides to take them on? Anything else that would be better? Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks - BS

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Kids and Bikes

2 is pretty young. I assume you are riding with a trailer and or tag along bike?

Bear Claw poppy and the Jem are probably your best options for Dirt trails. The bottom couple miles of BCP are pretty wide and bike trailer friendly. The Jem climbs a dirt road that would be good, but the single track is twisty and narrow and probably less then ideal for a trailer.

With kids that young I think the paved bike paths in st George are a better option. Then you can hit the trails after and ride whatever you want.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, the two year old will mostly be in an iBert (steerer tube mounted seat), but I'll strap his Strider bike to my pack, and my daughter will be in my custom made towing system on the uphills, and ride by herself on the downhills. If you know the Round Valley trails of Park City, we have ridden all of these in this configuration, and others in Fruita / Crested Butte / Moab, etc. My kids get bored with asphalt, and we ride singletrack a lot (2-3 times a week), so we aren't the average tourist bikers. I just want some smooth, buff and flowy trails for them to ride. But we have three days, and would like to find another trail that we could all ride.

Then I was looking to Rhythm and Blue and Zen trail when I get some me time. Any other suggestions for some quick 1-2 hour advanced loops.

Thanks again - BS

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BullSCit View Post
    Was planning on going to Moab this weekend, but looks like we will travel Southwest instead, since it looks to be 15F warmer on the weekend. I have been out to St. George / Hurricane a couple of times before, I rode a lot of trails, but it has been several years ago, and I only remember a couple of names (JEM, Bearclaw, C Trail, GB Mesa, Red Canyon). But now I will have the family with me, and looking for some good trails to try with them. My kids are young (2 and 4), but we are lucky to have singletrack out the back door, so they ride a lot.

But are JEM and Bearclaw some good rides to take them on? Anything else that would be better? Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks - BS
    If you decide to ride in Cedar City, Three Peaks has a great 6 mile loop that will be easy on the kids with not a lot of climbing. If you do come there PM me and I'll tell you which loops to do.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Advanced.

Zen, Barrell Trail, Barrell Roll, Hurricane Rim, Church Rocks Broken Mesa

There is so much good trail in st george its actually quite difficult to find a bad ride. Check out Utah Mountain Biking - Trails, Information, Repairs pick somewhere and ride. list above is just a few of my fav;s.

PM me

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway View Post
    Zen, Barrell Trail, Barrell Roll, Hurricane Rim, Church Rocks Broken Mesa

There is so much good trail in st george its actually quite difficult to find a bad ride. Check out Utah Mountain Biking - Trails, Information, Repairs pick somewhere and ride. list above is just a few of my fav;s.
    If you only had time to do two advanced/technical rides, which ones would you choose? I read the UtahMB.com page, but it makes all rides sound good (which is kind of what you said above). But I figure I can get out on Friday and Saturday while the wife and kids are playing splash / splash at the hotel.

Thanks again - BS

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

2 rides

If you only had time to do two advanced/technical rides, which ones would you choose? I read the UtahMB.com page, but it makes all rides sound good (which is kind of what you said above). But I figure I can get out on Friday and Saturday while the wife and kids are playing splash / splash at the hotel.

Thanks again - BS
    1. Zen, Climb the race course to the Barrell Trail, Ride down Bear Claw, then take the road return or Climb back up the BCP. 2-3 hours

2. Barrell Roll with Sidewinder etc.

PM me

I'd rather be biking...

Thanks again - BS
    Dos Mesa's. Climb race course up to "Barrel Ride" UMB calls it barrel trail odd... Down Barrel Ride and head over to Zen trail. A solid 3 hour ride.

Barrel ride is such an awesome trail without even touching the features.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'm curious too about the trails right now. I saw that there might have even been some snow? Is it worth coming down right now?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by quiet451 View Post
    I'm curious too about the trails right now. I saw that there might have even been some snow? Is it worth coming down right now?
    Right now it's pretty damn dark.....

Trails are good, come on down but bring some warm clothes for layering
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by quiet451 View Post
    Hurricane had a flurry of hail in the AM yesterday, but it warmed up nicely by afternoon (mid 50s). I Rode Barrel down in St. George for a few hours yesterday and it was great weather. I wore some tights under my baggies and two loose, lightweight jerseys. I would have been fine without the tights.

The rest of the week is supposed to be warmer - high 60s - and dry. Pretty much perfect riding weather.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Looking for an update on Gooseberry Mesa for a Thanksgiving day ride. Weather looks good but I thought I would check just to make sure.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I called a bike shop in Hurricane today, they said it's good to go.
    I think I will ride gooseberry and JEM on Thursday, Thunder Mountain on Friday.

Hope to see some fellow rider up there !

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Hurricane should be absolutely perfect this weekend. Too bad I will be spending my long weekend out of town at the in-laws.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Does anyone have a good GPS track of the Graphton DH? It looks like it is easy to get turned around on the top of the Mesa.

Eat, Poop, Pedal.
    We are planning a trip to St. George/Hurricane the first week in March. We just happen to be taking down two vehicles with us. We are thinking a day or two of shuttle rides down there. What trails can be or "worth" shuttling down there? We know about Bearclaw Poppi, J.E.M trail, and Grafton. Any others we can shuttle? Thanks!
    2012 Reign.
    2010 Rincon.

i like bikes

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

St. George/Hurricane Trip Planner

Quote Originally Posted by hooverGiant View Post
    We are planning a trip to St. George/Hurricane the first week in March. We just happen to be taking down two vehicles with us. We are thinking a day or two of shuttle rides down there. What trails can be or "worth" shuttling down there? We know about Bearclaw Poppi, J.E.M trail, and Grafton. Any others we can shuttle? Thanks!
    Every trail I have ridden in the area are worth riding as loops. Only a few can be shuttled any save you much time or effort.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by hooverGiant View Post
    Hey Mr. hooverGiant,

We had a great time shuttling those three trails on 2 different trips to St. George. I haven't ridden the following and don't know how much gnar factor you're looking for but two famous shuttle runs there are Lunch Line & Flying Monkey. These videos should take your breath away and give you an idea of what awaits. The first is especially heart stopping:

dirt spineology - YouTube

Utah DH Crew @ Flying Monkey Trail - YouTube

Enjoy your trip!

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Hurricane trip advice

A goop of 6 of us coming from CO March 7-11, decided to change things up from the Moab trip and drive a little further. We have never been down there and done some research and just want to make sure we arent leaving something good out of this trip. We have 3 days to ride.

Are camping at GB Mesa, wondering if anyone can direct me at the mesa to sweet camping spot for us prefereably with zion in the background. I have a PU truck towing a high clearance popup trailer? Do you camp in the valley or can I get on top? this is all assuming the road is good shape.

Trails:
    Day 1: GB Mesa
    Day 2: Zen/Barrel Trail
    Day 3: Up in the air/suggustions? Prefer technical rides, maybe even able to shuttle a trail to get some good DH in but nothing too crazy

Also, is there a prefered way to ride GB Mesa? see a few trials and trying to figure out the best look for technical stuff. Are some trails better one way or the other?

Thanks, Brett
    Last edited by bkreyche; 02-26-2013 at 11:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You can camp right on the mesa. Go to the bathroom, about 4 miles from the turnoff on to the mesa. From there I usually just go a short ways farther west or southwest to camp as almost anywhere is legal. But if you head north you'll have better Zion views.
    For a third day I'd suggest Little Creek Mountain, about 15 miles south but difficult to find so ask if anyone's headed there. Bringing your own fire wood is a good idea as most of the native wood has been burned already.
    There is a church edict against facial hair in Utah so if any in the group has some expect some descrimination. Avoid the hassle by talking to mountain bikers.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    I live in SoCal but ride out here 3-4 times a year. My personal favorite is Little Creek Mesa which will be that Mesa to your south across the valley. The trailhead is not the easiest to find but the trails are well marked (at least I think so). We always hit up Gooseberry and the JEM Trail as well but I can honestly say that with the exception of Ice House in Grand Junction, there's nothing I don't like out there so you can't go wrong. We don't do the "shuttle thing" so I can't comment of those areas.

As far as the post above regarding discrimination, I guess I'm missing something. Two people in our group have facial hair and that has never been an issue. Aside from some odd alcohol laws, Utah is just like any other state in the US. Don't worry about being discriminated against. The LDS population is over-whelmingly polite and respectful.

Your Best Friend
    Abegold has no idea what he's talking about. Plenty of mormons with facial hair.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Abegold has no idea what he's talking about. Plenty of mormons with facial hair.
    So obviously you've never had a gas station close at 10 am because you needed service for a muffler leak, then go across the street to get breakfast and not get waited on in 45 minutes or have a waitress tell you, "If you wanna have fun, go to Colorado" or ask someone at a trail head if you're at the trail head and the lady just turn her head and look away. Fortunately most of those events, except the last example were decades ago. The last one 5 years ago.
    But the waitress was correct, now I go to Colorado much more.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bkreyche View Post
    Trails:
    Day 1: GB Mesa
    Day 2: Zen/Barrel Trail
    Day 3: Up in the air/suggustions? Prefer technical rides, maybe even able to shuttle a trail to get some good DH in but nothing too crazy

Also, is there a prefered way to ride GB Mesa? see a few trials and trying to figure out the best look for technical stuff. Are some trails better one way or the other?

Thanks, Brett
    I would ride Zen / Barrel Trail / Bearclaw area the first day. Explore that and then head up to Hurricane to camp that night. If you are going to only ride GB one time my preferred loop is a figure eight.

Start out at the South Rim, Turn right on Hidden Canyon, backtrack 250 yards on the road to get onto North Rim. Go Left on North Rim. Hit Yellow Trail. Go to The Point. Return via South Rim. Turn left to do Hidden Canyon again (yes, it is that good). Turn right at North Rim and finish up on North Rim and the Practice Loop. If you need some more stuff later in the evening you can go ride Windmill / Bowls and Ledges, Gander or Secret. Or you can explore some of the singletrack on Grafton Mesa.

Day 3 head across the highway to Little Creek and spend the day there. If you can try to ride Little Creek with somebody who has been there before. It can be confusing but it is definitely worth being a little lost. Little Creek is basically unlimited stunts if you like that sort of thing. Its a 3,000 acre slickrock bike park.

If you totally run out of stuff to ride with those options (you wont) you can head up to Virgin to ride Guacamole. You will knock out the whole trail in probably under 3 hours but it is a killer trail.

I have heard people who have camped once at GB say they rode the trail in 2.5 hours and then they had nothing else to do. These people obviously didnt know how much trail is up there. You can connect GB to Grafton Mesa via Gander for probably a 60+ mile loop of uninterrupted technical singletrack. There is no reason to run out of stuff to ride. Add in LittleCreek and you have days and days of riding to do.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    hey!! I've read through this entire thread and I still haven't found an answer to my question. Although I did find answers to questions I didn't even know I had.

I am coming out later this week, planning on camping and I don't mind s[pending a bit of money on a place if I can get some nice creature comforts, like a hot shower, WiFi, pool/hot tub. Easy access to restaurants and bars, movie theaters, you know, stuff to do when I'm not riding my bike. Anyhow, I've seen some of the RV parks, I'll be tent camping, and they would suit my needs, just wondering if there are any you would recommend over any other, especially regarding location. Temple View in St George seems to be the best from the view I have, but hard to tell. Will St George be too far of a drive each day to get to the trail heads of various trails? Any other suggestions? I have a week to hang out and would like to ride every day.

Thanks for any advice!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Is there something special scheduled around Hurricane next weekend ? (03/23-24) ?
    There is no room available anywhere between St George and Hurricane.....

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by abegold View Post
    So obviously you've never had a gas station close at 10 am because you needed service for a muffler leak, then go across the street to get breakfast and not get waited on in 45 minutes or have a waitress tell you, "If you wanna have fun, go to Colorado" or ask someone at a trail head if you're at the trail head and the lady just turn her head and look away. Fortunately most of those events, except the last example were decades ago. The last one 5 years ago.
    But the waitress was correct, now I go to Colorado much more.
    You sir are a total moron. Better to keep your mouth closed and have others think you are an idiot than chime in and remove all doubt. You are incorrect about camping on Goose. It is limited to EXISTING SITES ONLY. Its aZZholes like you who rally out and make new spots everywhere that will ruin it for everyone else. Your comments about LDS are laughable and I'd giggle if I didn't know you were serious and such a misinformed goofball.
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Anyone know where this trail is at that he is shredding. Looks like it is in St George by some radio/cell towers.

Logan Binggeli 1:39 - iceman2058 - Mountain Biking Videos - Vital MTB

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    looks like something that "WASEA" guy probably built. just a guess
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    By Barrel Ride I think... Rode by last year.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Hi there, are there any good rides in the area the red bull rampage takes place?
    I mean, just normal CC Trails that go through that area?

mtbr member

Re: St. George/Hurricane Trip Planner

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletor23 View Post
    Hi there, are there any good rides in the area the red bull rampage takes place?
    I mean, just normal CC Trails that go through that area?
    I think the closest would be the Jem Trail, and then probably Gould Trail.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    I'm hoping to go next week with a 16 year old kid, an ankle broken on January 1st, and two squishy bikes (Trek F ex7 & 8). I'd like to ride something reasonably moderate (I have to stay in rather low gearing and still have some trouble standing up on the pedals). If I live through this I hope to hobble up Angel's Landing, and if that doesn't kill me, it is off to Moab.

I'm thinking Guacamole first to test the waters. We want to avoid the heat of the day if possible.

mtbr member
    I'll arrive tomorrow morning. Any advice?

mtbr member
    Guacamole is very technical, and gets very hot during the day. If going there, plan to drive to the trailhead before sunrise. For moderately technical, I recommend Barrel Roll and Sidewinder. Very fun, some technical/challenging spots, and very fast and fun single track.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It's hot around St George for a few more weeks. Consider riding near cooler Cedar City. The Virgin River Rim Trail (VRRT) is tough with tons of climbing and views. Camping at Navajo Lake and the trails there are usually near freezing at sunrise but make for sweet afternoons and are easier. Then there's the big descents off Brianhead.
    Another place to consider is the Rainbow Rim Trail on the Grand Canyon's North Rim, about 8000'. Views are amazing, riding OK. Cool air drains into the canyon making summer camping mild in day and night.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Thanks for the help!

I did manage to get some riding in, between the heat and then the tropical storm. I've still got a lot of recovery to do. I did some riding in/near Cayonlands and Moab as well.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybrick View Post
    Guacamole is very technical, and gets very hot during the day. If going there, plan to drive to the trailhead before sunrise. For moderately technical, I recommend Barrel Roll and Sidewinder. Very fun, some technical/challenging spots, and very fast and fun single track.

Barrel Roll and Sidewinder are both ~1000' lower than Guac, so they most likely will always be warmer than Guac will.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybrick View Post

The out and back and "standard" loop on Guacamole are not what I would consider "very technical". A solid Intermediate can ride it all with maybe two exceptions. Guacamole is always cooler than Barrel Roll as its higher by a more than 1200 feet. A 7 to 7:30 start time on Guacamole gives you three hrs of riding in warm but not hateful temps.
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Heading to Hurricane next weekend but some forecasts are calling for rain. Can any recommend any trails that would ride-able & accessible in the area(i.e. St. George/Cedar City/Dixie NF) if it gets really wet? Or should we head down to Bootleg first and then come back up. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Inuitbiker View Post
    Heading to Hurricane next weekend but some forecasts are calling for rain. Can any recommend any trails that would ride-able & accessible in the area(i.e. St. George/Cedar City/Dixie NF) if it gets really wet? Or should we head down to Bootleg first and then come back up. Thanks in advance.
    Church Rocks is a safe ride if its wet. It packs the sand down nicely.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Inuitbiker View Post
    GOOD When it's wet....
    Prospector/Church Rocks/Dino Tracks
    Gooseberry....if the road into it is passable
    Guacamole...if the road into it is passable
    Barrel Roll/Sidewinder/Suicidal Tendencies/Rim System...these are great all weather trails and you don't have to drive on dirt to access them.
    Zen Trail...Ditto

Absolutely DO NOT RIDE when it's wet......
    Bear Claw Poppy
    Upper Goulds
    JEM Trail
    Little Creek

Obviously use common sense on ANY trail after rain or snow and avoid damaging them. Hope your trip works out in your favor and thanks for asking!!!
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Do you locals foresee GM and Jem open for riding around Dec 27-29 this year just based on how much snow there are right now in those areas?

If not rideable or recommended, could someone pls suggest a route or a bike shop we could stop by in for intel on recommended route around Green Valley trails to hit up Zen/barrel/Bearclaw? I will be with my wife who's somewhat intermediate but lacking on the climbing department so moderate or less climbing route would be ideal.

Looking at the GV trails here http://www.skidmap.com/?cat=southwest, I'm not really sure where to generally begin (where to ideally park and roll from, loop trails together, etc). Is that map pretty accurate? Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzer View Post
    Do you locals foresee GM and Jem open for riding around Dec 27-29 this year just based on how much snow there are right now in those areas?

If not rideable or recommended, could someone pls suggest a route or a bike shop we could stop by in for intel on recommended route around Green Valley trails to hit up Zen/barrel/Bearclaw? I will be with my wife who's somewhat intermediate but lacking on the climbing department so moderate or less climbing route would be ideal.

Looking at the GV trails here The Skid Map, I'm not really sure where to generally begin (where to ideally park and roll from, loop trails together, etc). Is that map pretty accurate? Thanks!
    Well, seeing this is a 100 year record snowfall, all bets are off. I live in Virgin and my yard received 16 inches, so did the JEM, Goulds, Hurricane Rim, Gooseberry, Little Creek and Guacamole, actually the mesas might have gotten more. The northern exposures of ANY trail are going to hold snow for a long time with these cold temps. By the time you get here we might be good to go...sun and wind would help a lot for sure. Call Over the Edge in Hurricane for info on these trails.

Check with Red Rock Bicycles for St George/Santa Clara conditions. Barrel Roll, Sidewinder and Rim are good trails when we've had precipitation. Unfortunately you wife's going to have to do some climbing or sit it out.

Thanks a bunch for asking and showing concern for the trails.
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    I'm convinced Goose/Jem won't be rideable next week, 27 & 28th so I'll focus our trip planning to St. George where I'm completely not familiar with the trails at all. I haven't read up on topo yet to gauge on elev differential so I'm not sure if my planned route makes sense (ie. unforgiving climbs or more climbing that "fun riding").

I heard Bearclaw can be shuttled so we'll try it that way first. Here's what I have in mind. Does it make sense?

Leave one car at the bottom of Bearclaw.
    Drive to and start from Green Valley parking lot
    Do Zen Loop first (what is the Zen alternate shown on the map -easier way back out?)
    After Zen, head to Race Course then Barrel.
    From Barrel to Bearclaw
    This is where I'm somewhat unsure....
    While on Bearclaw, is it worth it (ie. fun) to stretch the ride and take Stucki Cutoff and do the whole Stucki Loop connecting back to Bearclaw via Snakepit Rim towards the bottom of Bearclaw?
    Am I missing a lot skipping Bearclaw from Stucki Connector and Snakepit Rim?

For the 28th, I'm thinking my wife will be pretty tired so Church Rocks might be a good wind down ride.
    I'm familiar with the standard lollipop loop via Prospector but not sure about Dino Cliffs.
    Is it worth it to add Dino Cliffs as an out and back or just stick with the lollipop Church Rocks route?

If there are other "must hit" suggestion(s) in SG beyond what I had drafted above, I'm all ears. I'm looking forward to getting to know St. George more on this trip. We've always gone to Moab and Hurricane over the years so St. George is due.

Lastly, if you're taking your wife on a trip to St. George, where is a good place to stay? No cookie cutter hotels, franchise motels and such. Something, uhm, like nice and cozy.

THANK YOU!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    How are conditions around St. George/Hurricane right now? Looks like there could be favorable weather. Trying to decide between skiing or biking next week.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by splatte View Post
    How are conditions around St. George/Hurricane right now? Looks like there could be favorable weather. Trying to decide between skiing or biking next week.
    Most of the trails are very nice right now. Barrel Roll and the Rim Runner trail systems are in great condition (I rode them Friday and Saturday). I'm not too sure of the others at the moment. I'd suggest giving Over The Edge Sports a call (435-635-5455). They usually have daily reports on trail conditions around the area.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Hurricane is a muddy mess right now. The mesas got snow this last weekend. Your best bets are going to be in St. George / Santa Clara and of course Church Rocks and Prospector.

I hope people have the decency to stay off of JEM this week. It can't take many more seasons like this winter before it just turns into a dirt road. There are sections of JEM that are seriously 3 times as wide now as they were last summer just from people riding into the brush to avoid mud.

This is the desert; those new ruts don't just disappear and get grown over. That damage will STILL be there in 5 or 10 years.

mtbr member
    Anyone have current conditions? I would like to hit gooseberry today if it's dry, otherwise I'll stay low.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I have a friend who lives in Apple Valley. He says the road to Goose is not passable.

mtbr member
    headed to St. George tomorrow and looking to get some riding in. looking for around 20 miles or less out and back. Ill be riding a 29er hard tail so not looking for anything too "technical". directions to trail head would be helpful, ill be coming from Cedar City.

Thanks Aaron

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by toycrawler View Post
    headed to St. George tomorrow and looking to get some riding in. looking for around 20 miles or less out and back. Ill be riding a 29er hard tail so not looking for anything too "technical". directions to trail head would be helpful, ill be coming from Cedar City.

Thanks Aaron
    With rain in the forecast, Prospector from the Red Cliffs trailhead to a loop on Church Rock, then back again on Prospector might be a good option?

Prospector Trail

Church Rocks Trail

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Prospector and Church are perfect for a hardtail. On top of that they are about the only trails that hold up well in the rain. They are fast, flowy and one of my favorite after-work rides. Have fun!

mtbr member

Went out yesterday trails and weather where awesome.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by toycrawler View Post
    Went out yesterday trails and weather where awesome.
    And what a difference a day makes. It raining very hard here right now in the Hurricane/Virgin/Zion area. Was hoping for a bit of rain to kill the dust but this is more than we hoped for.
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    It town tomorrow looking to do some riding. 3-30-14

mtbr member
    May 2011
    fantastic thread, tons of great info that's going to help me with riding/logistics.

Question: It seems like goose has the best free camping in the area, do you guys think i'll have a hard time finding a campsite up on goose on a Saturday (April 26th), or are there plenty of spots usually?

mtbr member
    Well BDKeg, they just had the MTB festival in town this weekend with a plethora of riders and there were still alot of open spots so I'm guessing you should be okay.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

St George / Hurricane May 7 - 11

Will by flying into Vegas and heading directly for STG on May 7. How are the trails. Haven't seen much on the boards one way or another.

One of the guys in the group is not going to be able to pedal too much so we might be looking for more some trails that are still trail/AM bike suitable but could be shuttled as well. We will still hope to hit the classics like Gooseberry.

Any further suggestions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Smile

Any problems after last weekend rains? Will be there soon. Gooseberry dreaming.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    The roads are kinda beat up, but the trails are good to go.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I would like to add this to the forum
    Zion National Park Vacation Rental - VRBO 564576 - 3 BR UT House, Close to Mountain Biking & Zion National Park, Come Hike and Bike!
    It is the website to a really good, in expensive spot for lodging right in the middle of mountain biking country. There is a calendar of dates that are available. It accommodates up to 6. Very clean. Go to this site and check it out Zion National Park Vacation Rental - VRBO 564576 - 3 BR UT House, Close to Mountain Biking & Zion National Park, Come Hike and Bike!

Dirt Huffer

Weather in late Feb/early March?

I'm looking to plan a trip to this area in late Feb/early March. How is the snow fall during this time? I'd like to avoid any and all snow if I can

Your Best Friend
    You'll be fine as long as you don't want to do the higher stuff, ie Gooseberry.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Any updates on Gooseberry and JEM? Hoping to ride with the family for the 4 day break, as I just got back from a fat ride in Park City and it would be nice to ride in the warm and on dirt. Thanks - BS

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Goose and JEM should be beautiful this weekend.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    You'll be fine as long as you don't want to do the higher stuff, ie Gooseberry.
    Actually, he will be fine as long as it doesn't snow just before he gets here. While everything south of the Black Ridge doesnt typically have snow all winter, it really a crap shoot. Most stuff will dry out quickly, but as you pointed out, Goose, along with Little Creek, and some areas of JEM, can be slow to dry. Last year, there was still significant snow in the shade, out on the strip, way into February.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Is it Still possible to ride the goose or JEM this time of year? I was thinking of heading down for an overnighter but am not familiar with how the trails are in that area. it looked like it may have snowed a bit yesterday but if any southern locals could chime in it would be great.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Goose is covered in snow. Everything else is perfect.

Football44

St. George/Hurricane late March/Early April

Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    I'd do one day at Gooseberry, 1 day on the JEM/Hurricane Mesa/Goulds Loop and 1 day at Church Rocks/Prospector in StG....then 1 day at Thunder Mtn!!
    My buddy and I are heading out to St George area the first week of April. We've got five days - March 28 thru April 2. Doing some initial research here, and really learning a lot through this thread (as always on MTBR! I've had some awesome luck finding people to show me around on trips: Soquel Demo, Sedona, Black Hills) Flying in to Vegas and shipping bikes. We're gonna try to hit up the last day of the Hurricane MT Fest on Sunday, and we want to ride Bootleg Canyon on the way back as well. We'll be riding 6 inch bikes, and have extensive experience on East Coast trails. A shuttle run would be sweet.
    Just throwing it out there to see if there are any major points of change that we should be aware of, and/or definite "things to avoid." I guess my most pressing question at this point is: will I be able to buy beer?

Football44
    My buddy and I are heading out to St George area the first week of April. We've got five days - March 28 thru April 2. Doing some initial research here, and really learning a lot through this thread (as always on MTBR! I've had some awesome luck finding people to show me around on trips: Soquel Demo, Sedona, Black Hills) Flying in to Vegas and shipping bikes. We're gonna try to hit up the last day of the Hurricane MT Fest on Sunday, and we want to ride Bootleg Canyon on the way back as well. We'll be riding 6 inch bikes, and have extensive experience on East Coast trails. A shuttle run would be sweet.
    Just throwing it out there to see if there are any major points of change that we should be aware of, and/or definite "things to avoid." I guess my most pressing question at this point is: will I be able to buy beer?

mtbr member
    Snoo,
    If you are into techy, rocky climbing there is a new set of trails recently finished just on the east side of Quail Creek reservoir. Rythm and Blues and the new Rock and Roll trails are to the west side of the reservoir/road, then a short drive over to the new stuff. (not sure they even have official names yet).
    The combo can make a great morning of riding.

Football44
    Quote Originally Posted by billj121 View Post
    Snoo,
    If you are into techy, rocky climbing there is a new set of trails recently finished just on the east side of Quail Creek reservoir. Rythm and Blues and the new Rock and Roll trails are to the west side of the reservoir/road, then a short drive over to the new stuff. (not sure they even have official names yet).
    The combo can make a great morning of riding.
    Rocks are kinda my thing. We'll check 'em out. A strava contact said Zen and Suicidal Tendencies are must do.

I'm wondering if scheduling a shuttle service would be preferable to renting a car in Vegas, as far as cost. We go low budget.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Re: St. George/Hurricane Trip Planner

Quote Originally Posted by GrandpaSnook View Post
    Rocks are kinda my thing. We'll check 'em out. A strava contact said Zen and Suicidal Tendencies are must do.

I'm wondering if scheduling a shuttle service would be preferable to renting a car in Vegas, as far as cost. We go low budget.
    Suicidal Tendencies is OK. The Barrel Roll trail, Sidewinder, Rim Rock, Rim Runner, Rim Rambler, and Rim Reaper trails (near ST) are excellent as well. You could ride them all day and not get bored.

The JEM, Hurricane Rim, Goosebumps, Cryptobionic, and Gould's Rim are great too. These are located just outside of Hurricane.

Gooseberry Mesa and across the highway, Little Creak Mesa are must rides. They may have a skiff of snow on them right now though.

For information, including GPS files, go to http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/

Enjoy your trip!

Football44
    Quote Originally Posted by PiousInquisitor View Post
    Suicidal Tendencies is OK. The Barrel Roll trail, Sidewinder, Rim Rock, Rim Runner, Rim Rambler, and Rim Reaper trails (near ST) are excellent as well. You could ride them all day and not get bored.

The JEM, Hurricane Rim, Goosebumps, Cryptobionic, and Gould's Rim are great too. These are located just outside of Hurricane.

Gooseberry Mesa and across the highway, Little Creak Mesa are must rides. They may have a skiff of snow on them right now though.

For information, including GPS files, go to Utah Mountain Bike Trail Index Page

Enjoy your trip!
    ^Thanks, man! Developing an itinerary. probably gonna rent bikes instead of shipping. Seems to be the smarter way to go.

mtbr member

St. George/Hurricane Trip Planner

I'll be in Virgin 3/28-4/4 with the family, but I have the go ahead to ride a couple of days with some friends. I'm thinking Gooseberry & Little Creek one day. It sounds like Zen is another must do, but that won't fill the day. My question is what should we add to Zen to make a longer ride of 3-5 hrs? Can we squeeze Bearclaw Poppy in that day too? For a third 1/2 day it'll probably be JEM and it's connecting trails.

Any other must ride trails we shouldn't miss?

We're advanced riders on AM bikes. From the videos I've seen, Flying Monkey / King Kong type stuff is above our pay grade though. I'm looking for maximum smiles per mile.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 165