mtbr member
    Oct 2005

St. George - Anasazi Trail

The last couple of weekends Iíve been riding a new (at least new to me) trail system in the St. George area, the Anasazi Trail. Itís actually a small network of trails, with Anasazi being the main route.

Itís a fun series of trails, with a bit of climbing, some rock gardens to work through, some old jeep track, and even a nice couple of stretches of singletrack. Itís not really a reason to come to St. George if youíre from out of town, but itís a nice couple hours of riding if you are already here.

The highlight of the trail, at least to me, is the series of petroglyphs along the rim of the Santa Clara gorge. These are really outstanding, and I think one of the main reasons to take the trail.

Utahmountainbiking.com has info about the ride, pics, and directions.

And hereís a few pics that I took as I was exploring the network1:

1. Self-timed shot on the singletrack. It doesn't really show the area, but I like the shot!

2. Petroglyphs with the valley in the background.

3. More petrogyphs

4. Another self-timed shot on the singletrack - I'm not good enough to get a shot on the rocky sections yet.

5. Petrogyphs on the cliff face.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Love the pics man! Lets go hit it again soon, it looks like you have found some new stuff to ride out there! We need to get in shape for our Grand Canyon rim tour and i have a couple of other peps that would be in for it!

mtbr member
    We did this system a few weeks ago
    http://www.mtbguru.com/trip/show/4044-anasazi-trail

over researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by slow up slow down
    Itís not really a reason to come to St. George if youíre from out of town...
    I big to differ. Those are great pictures, and the scenery looks fantastic. It looks like a great trail to come to St. George for. No crowds, remnants of an ancient civilization...cool stuff!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Anasazi

Hey ddujnitsud, I'd be up for another shot at it - when the rain stops! I thought this was St. George...

Sorry no pics of our ride. I thought the camera would slow us down too much.

The singletrack starts just past where we stopped, and leads down to the Graveyard loop. We'll have to hit it again before it gets too hot.

Nice shots that LolQ posted, too. There's obviously a lot more glyphs out there when just what I found.

Bike Snob
    The native artwork really is cool. I found some more at the bottom of Blackbrush looking over the river.

mtbr member
    This is not far from Black Brush/ Barrel Roll right ?

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by Playdeep
    This is not far from Black Brush/ Barrel Roll right ?
    It's on the highway 91 side of the Santa Clara River, parallel to Black Brush, although it goes farther to the west. Black Brush isn't a very good trail IMHO, but it would be easy to ride Barrel Roll and add on Anasazi.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

Team Sanchez
    Can'tgetright and I rode Barrel Rolls clockwise, and then Black brush clockwise last week for a total of 10.2 miles, and it was a nice ride. There were 2 grueling climbs on Blackbrush, but everything was rideable. A great workout for sure.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    Can'tgetright and I rode Barrel Rolls clockwise, and then Black brush clockwise last week for a total of 10.2 miles, and it was a nice ride. There were 2 grueling climbs on Blackbrush, but everything was rideable. A great workout for sure.
    I know that climb. Last time I rode it (maybe February) the climb was very soft. I kept checking to see if I had a flat.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Anasazi

The east end of Anasazi isn't far, but it's not signed Anasazi on that end. Look for Fishhook and Graveyard. They are smaller loops that eventually hook up with Anasazi. I prefer riding Anasazi west to east than the other way around.

Fishhook is very short, but is singletrack. Graveyard is mostly jeep road.