Thread: St. George

St. George

Just bought a new trailer and looking for a place to take a first trip. I was thinking St. George since it isn't too far from home (LHC, AZ) and my husband and I have been itchin to check out Utah. So I need some suggestions for places that we could camp overnight, throw on our gear and hit some trails. We will have our son with us and he is capable of alot for his age, but we won't be doing any advanced stuff or anything with huge climbs. I have heard so much about the area I am sure there is some cool scenic, sweepy, switchback stuff there. Really looking for a destination where don't have to worry about unhooking the car and just ride all day. We plan to go March 16-19, any suggestions welcome.

I'd rather be biking...
    There is a thread dedicated for this. Grab a bag of chips and dive deep.

St. George/Hurricane Trip Planner

Thanks for the link, I spent all day with that bag of chips. So where would be a good place to camp really close to the bearclaw poppy trailhead? I think that system would probably be the best ride for the boy. I read some posts that said there is unsupported camping up there right on the road. true?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by lhcmtbgirl View Post
    Thanks for the link, I spent all day with that bag of chips. So where would be a good place to camp really close to the bearclaw poppy trailhead? I think that system would probably be the best ride for the boy. I read some posts that said there is unsupported camping up there right on the road. true?
    I am from the Salt Lake area, but go to St. George 3-4 times a year. I am not sure about camping by Bear Claw. It is a really fun trail, but can be done in about 30 minutes. If the weather is good, then I would suggest pulling the trailer out to Gooseberry Mesa. It is a rough road, but I think you can get a trailer there with a capable 4X4. There is just unlimited riding out there. With your son, you can take the easier slickrock trails, the dirt roads, or the fun single track. Maybe STT Guy will chime in on some other good spots, or the Bear Claw option.

Another great choice would be to camp at the mouth of Zion Canyon. It is beautiful there. You would probably have to unhook the trailer there and drive to the bike trails.

I will be on a little bike trip down there that weekend also. We plan on riding JEM, Barrel Roll, maybe the Goose or Guacamole. We always ride Bear Claw too. It is right by my friends house. Hope you have a good experience.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

as for the camping.

I could be wrong, but I think you can camp pretty much anywhere out on the BLM land in the area. As long as you're not in some special use area, pulling off the road and camping on public BLM land is legit.

Best thing to do would be to go to the BLM field office, or give them a call. They're right off the freeway in St. George. They've got a lot of pamphlets on mountain biking/outdoor recreating/camping. They can tell you exactly what's allowed, and where.

345 East Riverside Drive
    St. George, UT 84790-6714
    435-688-3200
    Fax: 435-688-3258

Hours: 7:45 a.m. 5:00 p.m., Monday-Friday
    10:00 a.m. 3:00 p.m., Saturday

Thanks, I will call them today!

neblackb, Thanks for the tip! If you see a blue and white sandstorm pulled by a landrover come by and say hi. It is our first time up there so I think we will hit bearclaw when we get into town, have some lunch and maybe drag the rig out to gooseberry. My son races bmx too so maybe there will be some of that action around as well. Enjoy your trip!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    One area for camping I have not seen mentioned is the Red Cliffs Recreation Area. They have a campground right at a hiking trailhead into a semi-slot canyon experience with creek and beautiful red rock areas for exploring. Biking - Prospector Trail is right at the campground. Fun place for the kids.

Red Cliffs Campground
    Landscape Photos of the Red Cliffs Recreation Area in Utah
    Utah Mountain Biking - Trails, Information, Repairs

I'd rather be biking...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelbender View Post
    One area for camping I have not seen mentioned is the Red Cliffs Recreation Area. They have a campground right at a hiking trailhead into a semi-slot canyon experience with creek and beautiful red rock areas for exploring. Biking - Prospector Trail is right at the campground. Fun place for the kids.

Red Cliffs Campground
    Landscape Photos of the Red Cliffs Recreation Area in Utah
    Utah Mountain Biking - Trails, Information, Repairs
    Good place but there is an underpass you have to go through to access that is really low so most campers/trailers dont fit. Not sure on height but its around 10ft

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lhcmtbgirl View Post
    My son races bmx too so maybe there will be some of that action around as well. Enjoy your trip!
    Virgin is between Hurricane and Zion/Rockville. They have a nice BMX track up Kolob Resevoir road. Not sure what the stipulations on use are. Someone else in the know may be able to fill you in on the details.

mtbr member
    Don't think I've seen it mentioned yet, but that weekend is the True Grit endurance race, so camping might be a little harder to come by than normal. And all the nice stuff on the west side of town, Bear claw, Rim trails, Barrel roll/barrels zen will be out of commision at least on saturday the 17th
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by shelbster15 View Post
    Good place but there is an underpass you have to go through to access that is really low so most campers/trailers dont fit. Not sure on height but its around 10ft
    Oh yes, that's right.....nothing like sleeping under the stars. I have a low profile tent trailer. I'll be in town April 22-27 staying at the Zion River RV Park Zion National Park RV Park and Campground . They even let us little people stay there. Great place if you want plush camping. We enjoy it.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyspoke View Post
    Don't think I've seen it mentioned yet, but that weekend is the True Grit endurance race, so camping might be a little harder to come by than normal. And all the nice stuff on the west side of town, Bear claw, Rim trails, Barrel roll/barrels zen will be out of commision at least on saturday the 17th
    I emailed the race director, and he said that the trails will be closed on Saturday the 17th from 7 am to 6 pm. Looks like a hard core race. The Zen Trail alone kicks my butt. Add another 18 miles for the shortest course, I wish... Anyway, we will be doing Bearclaw and Barrel Roll on Friday, JEM and Guac or Goose on Saturday, so it all works out.

lhcmtbgirl, we will watch for you guys.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by shelbster15 View Post
    I second that. I loved camping there simple because there were no Camping rigs there! Of course I was there in November and there was nobody at all there. But Not much will fit in the tunnel except teardrops.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Deffinately wouldn't camp out near bear claw poppy, lots of high school parties and shootin when I've been out there night riding.

I have heard so much about the area I am sure there is some cool scenic, sweepy, switchback stuff there.
    To be honest the majority of the trails down here tend to be cool scenic, rocky, technical, without a ton of climbing.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by helibird View Post
    Deffinately wouldn't camp out near bear claw poppy, lots of high school parties and shootin when I've been out there night riding.
    Wow, That is my kind of gig. Where is this again? Was that shootin or shuten?

I was just in vernal and there was a darn who lot of shootin going on near McCoy flats.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by scotttenorman View Post
    I could be wrong, but I think you can camp pretty much anywhere out on the BLM land in the area. As long as you're not in some special use area, pulling off the road and camping on public BLM land is legit.

Best thing to do would be to go to the BLM field office, or give them a call. They're right off the freeway in St. George. They've got a lot of pamphlets on mountain biking/outdoor recreating/camping. They can tell you exactly what's allowed, and where.

345 East Riverside Drive
    St. George, UT 84790-6714
    435-688-3200
    Fax: 435-688-3258

Hours: 7:45 a.m. 5:00 p.m., Monday-Friday
    10:00 a.m. 3:00 p.m., Saturday

Yes camping is allowed on BLM lands but there are minimum distances that are to be maintained from water sources and manage your waste properly..(we don't piss and sh#t in YOUR water so please don't do it in ours...)

The bounderies between BLM land and private land are vague in many cases, so please obtain a map, examine it closely and please be sure you are not on private land. The bottom section of the JEM including the trailhead anbd parking lot is all private.

Lastly, we have had very, very little rain and campfires are a bad idea. If you start public lands on fire it doesn't stop at the border of private lands. Be super careful with any fire. I know Virgin and Rockville both have "no campfires" in effect right now.

I know some good spots, PM me as I don't want them tossed out here in public.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts