mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Spending a winter in moab

Anyone here doing it or have done it?

Been pulling ski seasons for 15 years and looking for a break ..
    Thinking about visiting the KTM dealer taking a loan out on a new whip and ripping moto and pedal for the winter.

Easy to get work? 30 hours or so a week
    I dont much care the pay just want it to be fun.

hows riding in the winter? quick drive south to get dry dirt?

thinking sep-april

Id be down to get layed off for two months mid winter too!?

any advice appreciated
    thanks

mtbr member
    Poverty with a view. But if you've been doing the ski season job thing you know what that entails.

It snows and gets cold there too, riding isn't completely year round, although you'll get breaks mid winter to ride. St. George or southern Arizona is where you'd have better luck with that.

Also, for entry level jobs, most are dependent on tourist season and work gets slower and harder to get mid-winter.

Your Best Friend
    Moab is not a winter riding destination. I'd rethink this one.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I was thinking id work for there high season sep-nov and then take the layoff and start up again march-april

not worried about making money I just need something little coming in.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Follow the bike shops on Facebook. They post trail conditions almost daily. I follow OTE Fruita, three shops in Moab, and OTE Hurricane. Much more interesting than friends and relatives posts. :-)

Hurricane is best for winter riding and only a 5 hour drive to Moab and Fruita if you have a few days off and riding conditions improve. Fruita and Moab have been posting a lot of snow lately but it is melting off now. Hurricane had snow everywhere a couple of weeks ago but ridable now. St. George is mostly snow free, and up to 115F in the summer.

Sedona is similar to St. George and not that bad a drive to Moab or Hurricane.

Employment is in the pits in those towns in the winter. They are dead towns but at least Moab has oil industry jobs, or did. Chili Pepper shop in Moab and I think also Poison Spider have been posting that they need people this spring.

Most jobs in those town go to locals and most are very low wage. Maybe a job for nursing, that sort of thing. Moab and Sedona have expensive housing. Fruita has cheap rents.

I've spent a couple of hours with one of the richest guys in Moab, the owner of Red Bluffs Lodge, discussing what to do to drive business to Moab in the winter. They were thinking ski resort. By the end of October that town is dead. Visitors are gone.

We can work anywhere we can get broadband and looked into this a few times, although not for local jobs. Still, I've had a lot of such conversations.
    MTB blog for intermediates: http://intermediatemtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.