mtbr member

Good job! Spare a minute to recommend a tire to the new guy?

I'm new to Utah but I've been riding some of the local trails up Provo canyon, AF canyon, and a few trips to park city. I'm building a titanium (Lynskey) 29er hardtail that will be light but also durable, built for the variety of local trails and the occasional race. My wheels are Stan's Arch and I'm going to run tubeless. Anyone have any recommendations for a tire to handle all this? My LBS recommended Maxxis Crossmark but they didn't have much else, I'm also looking at Maxxis Ignitor, Geax Saguaro, Schwalbe Racing Ralph. Any opinions are very appreciated.
    Last edited by The Boz; 10-24-2011 at 08:24 AM.

Bike Snob
    If you can spend the money go with the Schwable RR's.

Hey Boz, remember when you almost had a career in the NFL and then Bo Jackson put and end to it .... that was awesome

BO JACKSON VS Brian Bosworth - YouTube

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply. My NFL career was cut short from hits like that one, but it really just allowed me to pursue my true passion in acting. So after I landed that role in "Stone Cold" I actually sent Bo a thank-you card and we are still pen-pals. But he's mostly into bow hunting while I'm against animal cruelty so that has hindered our relationship.

Thanks for the recommendation on the Racing Ralphs. Look for "Blazing Bosworths" in 2012.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    What tires are the locals running/recommending?

Most folks have good luck with Stans The Crow or Specialized Fat Boys but YRMV. I guess it mostly depends on humidity.

JMH

Paste eater
    I'm down in Moab, so a bit different but...

I would not recommend the ignitors to anyone. I'm not terribly picky when it comes to tires but there are a few that I really don't like. My beef is they are:

1) Too hard a compound and buzz like a muverfarker on just about everything especially in the wet. Have not used them on slickrock but I can not imagine it to be a good situation

2)Nobs make it feel really squirmy on hard pack.

3)Small

I really like the minions - especially now that i'm on rock all the time. Lowish, sturdy knobs, softer compound, grippy and very sturdy. They can be had in a number of different versions, sizes none of wich are particularly light or fast but whatever...

The Geax Saguaro looks like a tire i'd like. At some point I may give it a spin.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Check out Specialized Captains and Fast tracks

I have used alot of tires in most of the different riding areas in utah and The Captains work great or all around XC riding/Racing. If you are looking for a Race tire the sworks model captain is about 550 grams and rolls very well for a agressive tire. I run the Control version which is about 100 grams heavier per tire but has a much more durable sidewall. I have full seasons on captain contols without a single flat. Great tire. The Fast tracks are a smaller tread design and roll better but corner and brake worse. Worth a look
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway View Post
    If you are looking for a Race tire the sworks model captain is about 550 grams and rolls very well for a agressive tire. I run the Control version which is about 100 grams heavier per tire but has a much more durable sidewall.
    WOW! THat's light. The minion 2.5 3C on i have on the front of my bike right now is over 1200 grams I think:P It's stupid heavy hut it's awesome! Realistically, at some point I'm going to replace it with something more reasonable - but for now it's what I have. Other versions are in the 800 gram range I think.

A couple other options that come to mind are the Rampage and Cedric Garcias

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I am also taking about 2.0 width

They make them in s 2.2 which I would guess is about 10% heavier. Good tires.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me