Tigers love pepper...

Sovereign / Salt Wash - Ride times?

Intermediate rider, clyde size. Not fast, not the slowest. My riding partner will be waiting on me so I'm the slow one.

Trying to get about 2 hours of riding in out there tomorrow (2.5 max). Can we expect to finish the lariat loop no problem (not doing the slickrock sections north of Dalton Wells road) or even just up sovereign - down salt wash?

Downloaded gps tracks and saw that he did the lariat loop back to connector 4 in 1hr 38min or something so figured we might be ok. But then when I looked at the individual tracks files for sovereign and salt wash they were both like 2 hours plus by themselves.

We'll just watch our time and turn around when need be, but just curious what to expect. Will we make it North of connector 3? All the way to DW road?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Can't remember which gate we got to, but here is a GPS track that I did back in August in about 3 hours. Three of us, me being the uber slow one:
    Bike Ride Profile | 9miles near Moab | Times and Records | Strava

Basically, going northbound, there is a very steep section. If going up Salt Wash, its very rocky. If going up Sovereign, its steep with switchbacks. We made it up that section (went up SW down Sov), and turned back.

This was in August, pretty hot, and the sand was very loose and slow.

Tigers love pepper...
    I think the route I was looking at is up sov until connector 3, cross over till DW road. Then down sov until connector 4 or 3 then switch over and go down salt.

pedlr
    Apr 2006
    If I were an intermediate rider, and I am, I would ride sovereign up, forget the connectors , until salt wash and soverign cross for the second time(they cross once at the south end of the ride, then again before a big downhill). I would turn left on salt wash there and ride back on salt wash to the first or second connector you come to, then ride sovereign down.
    Sovereign is easier, and probably more fun than salt wash for a first time ride. It is a classic ride and totally different on the out and back. you wont regret it.
    We ride salt wash all of the time, and love it, but if it were my first time I'd ride sovereign. Ride salt wash if sovereign bores you(it wont).

pedlr
    Apr 2006
    BTW, that ride would take us a couple of hours, most of it on the out, the back is very quick. If you go too far and down the big hill to dalton wells, add an hour to the ride. I dont suggest it, it's not much fun.

Tigers love pepper...
    Quote Originally Posted by moabman View Post
    BTW, that ride would take us a couple of hours, most of it on the out, the back is very quick. If you go too far and down the big hill to dalton wells, add an hour to the ride. I dont suggest it, it's not much fun.
    Thanks for the info.

pedlr
    Apr 2006
    here's a hot tip. dont know if you're set on sovereign, but Poison Spider bike shop is having the Thaw demo days at the bar m tomorrow that among other things includes free shuttles to the top of mag 7 so you can ride back down to bar m.
    Great trail, free shuttle. starts at 10. mostly downhill xc, simiiar to sovereign, cept you need a shuttle.

Tigers love pepper...
    Thanks, but need to be back in Grand Junction around lunchtime so gonna have to be on the road home by 10:30 or so.

Tigers love pepper...
    Thanks everyone!! Great trail.

Left GJ at 6am, on triail by 7:30. Did Sovereign up to link 4, switched over to Salt Wash and went up to link 6 where we rejoined Sovereign for the ride back down. Seemed that was where you guys were saying it would drop way down to DW road. Got back to the truck at exactly 10am and made it home by lunch! Perfect day!

Loved the trail, we took our sweet time and it was exactly 2.5 hours with plenty of pictures and stopping to take in the views. Great little loop to try out the new Spearfish on.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    Did Sovereign up to link 4, switched over to Salt Wash and went up to link 6 where we rejoined Sovereign for the ride back down.t
    Should have rode Sovereign up to link 6, rode down Salt Wash down to link 4, then took Sovereign back the rest of the way.

Tigers love pepper...
    Quote Originally Posted by drlg View Post
    Should have rode Sovereign up to link 6, rode down Salt Wash down to link 4, then took Sovereign back the rest of the way.
    The "Stop. Not recommended" sign swayed us to try it the other way. Looks like it would be fun the way you describe, although probably a little hike a bike up those switchbacks.