mtbr member

Sovereign reroute?

FYI- There used to be this tough short techie climb with a sharp right hander that we always stop and try a few times to clean. When we were there last Thursday, this section was taken out and replaced by a singletrack climb that is much easier... We were kinda bummed about it as it was a fun section to keep trying to clean...
    There also seems to be a new piece of cool alternate singletrack added that we didn't get to try due to some equipment "failure"... Maybe next time....
    Last edited by flipnidaho; 03-22-2008 at 11:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    What a shame! Like you, I've worked on that section countless times, and only cleaned it on sight, early last season. I was really looking forward to challenging it this season, but as usual......... OOPS....NO.... I'm gonna bite my tongue.....
    Last edited by Shelbak73; 03-22-2008 at 02:55 PM.

frejwilk
    I'm sorry you both won't get a chance to try that section this year. There is a nice sign at the beginning of that reroute explaining things. It probably is best to 'bite your tongue' until you've got the full story.

You might not have noticed that in addition to rerouting that section, Ride with Respect has added eight miles of new singletrack to the Sovereign trail system this year. That cool alternate singletrack was probably part of the Saltwash singletrack which allows you to ride a singletrack LOOP between Willow Springs rd. and Dalton Well rd.

Ride with Respect has done a great job with these trails. I was psyched to be riding the new trails this week.

FW

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by frejwilk
    I'm sorry you both won't get a chance to try that section this year. There is a nice sign at the beginning of that reroute explaining things. It probably is best to 'bite your tongue' until you've got the full story.

You might not have noticed that in addition to rerouting that section, Ride with Respect has added eight miles of new singletrack to the Sovereign trail system this year. That cool alternate singletrack was probably part of the Saltwash singletrack which allows you to ride a singletrack LOOP between Willow Springs rd. and Dalton Well rd.

Ride with Respect has done a great job with these trails. I was psyched to be riding the new trails this week.

FW
    Thanks for the up-date, I apperciate that. Can't wait to check out the new riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Is the added singletrack marked?

I'm going to be out there in a few weeks. Is the new section north of the huge slickrock area or just where? I tried Baby Steps a few years back when it was brand-new and gave up when I realized there were just too many unmarked intersections.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    I'm going to be out there in a few weeks. Is the new section north of the huge slickrock area or just where? I tried Baby Steps a few years back when it was brand-new and gave up when I realized there were just too many unmarked intersections.
    Yes, the new singletrack is marked very well...

mtbr member
    I just rode the Saltwash singletrack yesterday and then came back Sovereign. Since it's so new it's still has a bunch of loose sections and very narrow. It has some very fun sections plus it's nice not having to do an out and back.

Saltwash takes off the ATV trail maybe a 1/4 mile past Sovereign although it crosses over Sovereign pretty soon. There's another place where they cross. There's also 5 or 6 connectors between the trails.

This was my first time riding Sovereign so it was very nice riding singletrack in Moab instead of jeep roads. I'll be riding Saltwash and Sovereign more in the future.

26er
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    FYI- There used to be this tough short techie climb with a sharp right hander that we always stop and try a few times to clean. When we were there last Thursday, this section was taken out and replaced by a singletrack climb that is much easier... We were kinda bummed about it as it was a fun section to keep trying to clean...
    There also seems to be a new piece of cool alternate singletrack added that we didn't get to try due to some equipment "failure"... Maybe next time....
    Those who show up and put in the time on the trail make the decisions, you should just be happy that Moab has more singletrack now and send a thank you note to Ride with Respect along with a donation for all the great trails they build. http://www.ridewithrespect.org
    Live to ride!

Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail