mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Southwest Utah Mt Biking

I will be in the Southwest Utah area in early May and I am looking for some killer trails to ride. I am an all mountian rider and stoked on technial riding. Not afraid to ride up but will also take a shuttle. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Gooseberry.... if it's not too far out of the way. Mostly flat, but techy with lots of play.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    If you like a little more gravity-assisted tech, hit Grafton Mesa when your done with Gooseberry.

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Green Valley/Bearclaw Poppy/Zen, Slickrock Swamp/Guacamole, Little Creek Mesa, JEM. These are trails I plan to hit when in the area about 5/7. I know how to get to Little Creek, let me know if you wannna meet for rides.
    agmtb

mtbr member

us too!

We are also heading down to Southwest Utah; me, my wife and two kids kids will depart Portland 5/10 in our camper van and plan to explore the area in and around St. George, Zion NP, etc.. We have no agenda or itinerary, but have a few spots we'd like to get to. We've camped and ridden once before at Gooseberry Mesa and would like to return there, we'll probably hit Red Canyon area and do Thunder Mountain on the way. I've been lurking on this list for a couple months reading about some of the other trails so I've compiled a good list of possibilities.

We really enjoy being able to camp near a trailhead. Our kids are 5 and 8, so my wife and I often end up riding solo while the other person watches the kids. My 8 year old now has her first real mountain bike so she is also starting to do some light trail riding. So, we'd appreciate recommendations of camp spots within riding distance of trails. Dispersed/primitve is fine, but campgrounds are ok too.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Happy trails,
    Terry
    free-flowing meat waves of possibility...

mtbr member
    I live in St George and generally can make time to show people several of the trails, and if not I know the riders who do know how to find the rest. Drop me a pm with your number and I will call you with the 411.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Virgin River Rim Trail?

Will this ride be available at the end of the week? It says it usually does not melt until around mid to end of April. Anyone with first hand knowledge? I will be down there this weekend. Looking at Gooseberry then Grafton for one day of riding. Thunder Mountain and another trail the next day. Any suggestions on what to add to Thunder Mountain? I know we can do a 21 mile loop at Thunder Mountain but would like more. Might do it twice. Then back to Vegas for Boulder Canyon. Any suggestions would be nice. Thanks

mtbr member
    Just guessing but I would suspect that a lot of the virgin rim trail, especially around Navajo Lake where the trail is on a northfacing slope, is still under lots of snow. I think the Cedar Breaks road is still closed. Try calling the Cedar City Dixie Nat. Forest office. (435)865-3700. They're probably just getting started on removing downed trees.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby-doo
    Will this ride be available at the end of the week? It says it usually does not melt until around mid to end of April. Anyone with first hand knowledge? I will be down there this weekend. Looking at Gooseberry then Grafton for one day of riding. Thunder Mountain and another trail the next day. Any suggestions on what to add to Thunder Mountain? I know we can do a 21 mile loop at Thunder Mountain but would like more. Might do it twice. Then back to Vegas for Boulder Canyon. Any suggestions would be nice. Thanks
    I haven't been up on the mountain yet this spring, but to answer your question,No it (VRRT) will not be ridable. Still snow on the naked hills above the "C", so I'm sure there is snow in the trees at the higher parts of the trail.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Thanks everyone greatly appreciated but that is what I

thought. Oh well still a lot of great riding.

What day are we riding?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby-doo
    Thunder Mountain and another trail the next day. Any suggestions on what to add to Thunder Mountain? I know we can do a 21 mile loop at Thunder Mountain but would like more. Might do it twice. Then back to Vegas for Boulder Canyon. Any suggestions would be nice. Thanks
    Don't do it twice unless you want to.

A great ride is to park at TM trailhead and ride up the bike path to Cassidy Canyon, over to Losee down Losee and over to Castro, back across the top of Losee and down Cassidy, back on the bike path to the TM trail and back to car. 40ish miles.

mtbr member
    I second that. Cassidy, the unsung hero of Red Canyon. If you want to trim it down to 30ish miles cut Losee out of the equation and head directly for Casto and then Cassidy to TM. Losee can be pretty chewed up by the horse traffic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Thanks a lot for the info. This will definitley be a one of the

rides we will be doing. 40ish miles sounds perfect. What are we looking at for ride time? We will both be on Single Speeds? Thanks for all your help. We will be doing this ride on Saturday. Should we get out early because of other riders or is this a low traffic area?

mtbr member
    Well, Casto-Cassidy-TM was almost 4 hours in the saddle for me. 8.0 ave speed. With stops (how can you not, it's gorgeous?) I'd plan to be out 6 or 7 hours if your going for 40. In the 10 or so rides I've done in the Red Canyon area I've only seen riders on TM. Your more likely to run into equestrians.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

After this ride on Saturday I have been given a couple of

other rides. one suggestion was Gooseberry with Grafton Mesa included for a a solid ride. Also I was told Race Course/Barrels/Zen/Stucki makes for a great ride. Of these two which would you two guys chose? Thanks