Thread: Snow Yet?

Pick a wheel size...

Snow Yet?

I may be a bit ahead of myself here but anyway...

Does Burro have snow yet?

We're headed to Moab at the end of September and first week of October. We've taken this trip 2 other times, basically the exact same time of the year. Once Burro was snowed out, once it wasn't.

Am I probably safe in thinking it's gonna be a crapshoot for snow up at Burro Pass the first week of October? I know it's been a crazy dry year but temps are steadily dropping.

Really hoping to do TWE again, but will settle with Hazzard Down if we must

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Nothing yet, it's been pretty warm and there hasn't been much rain lately either. I may be heading down there the first week of Oct. as well and I'm counting on it being dry and open.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    No snow yet. Likely will not be any snow, but if a big rain event comes in, the temps up high will be low enough for snow. Burro is a lot of fun with snow on it anyway.

Bandolero Crew N.M.

Burro Pass Temps

We have a spot on a shuttle Fri. What kind of temps are we looking at up at the pass?
    Sent on my Droid while hitting that $h!t

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbike52 View Post
    We have a spot on a shuttle Fri. What kind of temps are we looking at up at the pass?
    Anywhere from 10-40 degrees colder then down in Moab Seriously, that''s what'd i'd pack for. Generally a good 20 degrees anyhow...

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    Anywhere from 10-40 degrees colder then down in Moab Seriously, that''s what'd i'd pack for. Generally a good 20 degrees anyhow...
    Thanks. Pretty much in the range I was thinking. Heck, there can be a 10- 20deg. diff. from Albq. at about 5500 ft.to my place at 7600 ft. Only about 20 miles. Weather Friday looks killer!
    Sent on my Droid while hitting that $h!t

Pick a wheel size...
    Just saw a post on Norcos FB page talking about snow up at Burro.

I'm not worried about snow, just hoping Coyote shuttle will still take us up there if there is snow.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Clear and 35 degrees tonight. If there is any snow, it's not likely to amount to much. It has been a really warm fall in Moab. When I've camped at Warner Lake, it was always a good 20 degrees cooler than Moab which means that if there is snow, it will likely melt off during the day.

7-Day Zone Forecast for La Sal and Abajo Mountains

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    So whats the sitch at the Moment in moab area snow wise?

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by ezzy View Post
    So whats the sitch at the Moment in moab area snow wise?
    No snow. That being said, any sort of weather system would likely cover Burro, maybe more until Spring.

mtbr member
    We got snowed on this morning over in Ely which is about 350 miles due west of Moab. Not sure which way this storm is headed but if it gets that far, Burro will get snow. Heck, Hazard and Upper Porc may get snow with this one. It's cold.

Nevermind, weather.com thinks otherwise.
    Last edited by KRob; 10-24-2012 at 02:12 PM.

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    I rode TWE last Saturday and there is some snow. In fact, Burro had black ice on about 30-40% of the trail. It was still rideable, albeit extra challenging. Lots of hunters too.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    We got snowed on this morning over in Ely which is about 350 miles due west of Moab. Not sure which way this storm is headed but if it gets that far, Burro will get snow. Heck, Hazard and Upper Porc may get snow with this one. It's cold.

Nevermind, weather.com thinks otherwise.
    Ya, socked in now. I'm sure there is some sort of snow going on up there now. How low is the only question.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Rode Moonlight to Hell's during yesterdays storm. Almost 3" at the top, while it turned to rain halfway down Hell's, at maybe 7000'.