Want Smiley Sauce w/that?

Slickrock -- Wow

First go at it. So glad I had a month on the Sedona trails to prepare. It wasn't what I expected. The scale was so much bigger than what I imagined.

I figured there would be few monster climbs but didn't realize there were dozennnns. (Dozzzzzennnnnns.) Glad I did it but I'm not sure I'd do that again for fun. It was amazing and strange and really fun aside from the monster climbs -- and the 30 mph wind. Really enjoyed the back side. It's frustrating being a 118 lb. woman -- that's the equivalent of of a 180 lb man having a 50 lb. bike! (it's a Blur LT.) Did it in 2 1/2 hrs, so I suppose I could have done worse.

My only goal was to avoid drawing blood. I didn't come off my bike but did slam my knee into the handlebar at one point, so, alas...Slickrock got it's offering of blood. Never been so happy to see a freakin' parking lot. Felt better when, sitting in my truck I saw a guy heading out crash and burn trying to go up the first incline 50 feet from the parking lot. Yeah, I walked it, but at least I know my limits.

It actually felt less dangerous than I expected in terms of drop offs etc...How does Porcupine compare? How is it different?

Gonna go fall over on something soft.

Jen
    Lose it? I didn't lose it. It's not like, "Whoops! Where'd my job go?" I QUIT. Someone pass me the asparagus."

mtbr member
    Porcupine Rim is more of a trail than Slickrock (and in my opinion, way more fun)... It starts off with on fireroads and ends in singletrack (with a road ride back into town)...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Ya, I felt the same way about Slickrock. I rode it 3 weeks ago with a bad cold, so I wasn't up to par and some of the climbs were tough. I rode it before, 13 years ago and couldn't remember it being that bad. I rode Porcupine rim the next day and really loved it. The only part that wasn't that pleasent was the ride up to the trail head and back to the camp site, which is road. Some people take the shuttle to the trail head, but my riding partner would have none of that and I can't see using a vehicle when one can pedal, lol. The views on Porcupine are totally awesome, wow, I was amazed and glad I did the ride. Man, I felt beat from the evening ride at Slickrock the night before so I wasn't very enthusiastic to go riding the Rim the next morning, but I'm so glad I did. I felt better a couple miles into the ride and the views, wow, made it worth every drip of sweat. There is even a place to refill on water as your making your way back to moab on the road a couple miles out from the end of the trail on your left.

Bike Snob
    Porc is awsome. There were several years in a row that I would go to Moab and only ride Porc. Sometimes twice in one day.

Cool. Thanks. I looked up some pics and it look great. *That* looks like my idea of fun. Only thing that's freaking me out is "death on the right" in the guidebook. ? I feel like they overrated the fear factor on Slickrock so I'm guessing they overrated it on Porcupine. Rocks don't scare me. Knowing that a squirrely moment could mean tumbling into the abyss...that's another matter.

I'm a strong intermediate rider -- confident, pretty good at picking lines, and I know what I can and can't handle.... I like teeth-rattling descents. Not a big fan of loose rock. Haven't learned how to power off ledges so sometimes I have to walk the stuff I can't roll off...

Should be ok on Porcupine, right?

Thx guys...
    Lose it? I didn't lose it. It's not like, "Whoops! Where'd my job go?" I QUIT. Someone pass me the asparagus."

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    You will be fine, nothing really radical, and you can walk certain parts. There is one section near the end I think most have to walk down, at least I decided to, which crosses a small creek. You will enjoy!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    cannesdo, if you like slick-rock type riding put a pair of big fat slicks on your bike and go do bartlett wash. It's more of a playground than a ride, but lots of fun on pristine sandstone.

Phil from San Diego
    I just got back from Moab. Slickrock was an "experience"... so was the whole trip.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/philip2...7604642287151/

Here are my photos from the trip. Look in Day 1 for Slickrock Trail. Lower Porcupine Singletrack/Porcupine rim on Day 4. Not as many phots on Porcupine since I was riding instead of pushing hehe. I liked Poison Spider/Portal Trail the most (Day3).. Death on the left!

Have fun and enjoy!

Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Prexus2005
    I just got back from Moab. Slickrock was an "experience"... so was the whole trip.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/philip2...7604642287151/

Here are my photos from the trip. Look in Day 1 for Slickrock Trail. Lower Porcupine Singletrack/Porcupine rim on Day 4. Not as many phots on Porcupine since I was riding instead of pushing hehe. I liked Poison Spider/Portal Trail the most (Day3).. Death on the left!

Have fun and enjoy!

Phil.
    Sweet. Thanks!

Jen

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

sweet ride

Porc is a totally different ride than Slickrock. You climb 1000' on a ridge road to the top of the ride, not that steep. At the top most take in the view, some carbs and conversation.
    From there you start stair stepping down the fin of rock. One of the first is 3'. 1'-3' steps most of the long way down. Suspension suggested. This will definately rattle your teeth. When you get to Negro Bill Canyon you're almost done, if shuttled. Chill at the pools before finishing near the Colorado river.
    agmtb