mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Slickrock - clockwise or counterclockwise?

Which way is better and why? Thanks.

I ride with tools
    Ride it once each way and decide for yourself.

mtbr member
    They say that clockwise is easier, if that makes a difference. I have done it both ways though.

alien exchange student

My 2 cents

Howdy, the advice to ride it both directions is honestly bang on. It is a great trail in either direction. It seems to me that riding the trail clockwise (labelled as easier) is tougher technically, due to a couple of tough climbs with technical skills required, but easier physically (as the elevation gain is gradual other than with a couple of climbs). Going counter-clockwise (lavelled as tougher) it seems the reverse - easier technically as you go down the technical climbs but tougher physically as there is one section of climbing that seems to never end. It is really subjective though. In the end, you are starting and ending at the same point so it can't vary too much.

Cheers!

Mel

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I've never thought that either direction was easier

just different. But I do like that one endless uphill section that never ends when you go counterclock (right at the intersection). It would be tough to get to the bottom of that going clockwise, turn around and go all the way back up, just to do it.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

No, that's not phonetic
    I thought clockwise was labeled as "harder" due to a techy climb, but it seems easier on the legs and lungs. I always ride clockwise.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.